Broken barrel adjuster

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2014 7:46 PM

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Have a question maybe someone can help me out with. Bought a second hand custom Subrosa bike but both the brake cable holder and barrel adjuster are broken off. The cable holder I heard I can get a zip-tie or something, but what can I do about the barrel adjuster? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

|

2/17/2014 7:48 PM

ride no brakes? You can use a zip tie for the cable, yes but i don't know what the barrel adjuster is

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

2/17/2014 7:50 PM

Things like this are part of the reason i'm brakeless.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/17/2014 7:53 PM

I've been riding brakeless and don't have that huge of a problem with it. But if I gotta stop super quick+going fast probably won't end so well.

|

2/17/2014 8:09 PM

just take it into a bike shop, Barrel adjusters are something they tend to carry in bulk.... hell they'd probably just give it to u...

Now if it's the Gyro tab that snapped off..... that's built into the frame, thats another thing all together... pics?

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/17/2014 8:14 PM

Post photos of what you're talking about, are you talking about the barrel adjuster on the brake lever or the barrel adjuster on the frame? if the latter, you'll want this.

What do you mean by cable holder, too?

|

2/18/2014 7:28 AM

Man you guys are killer with the quick responses. It's not the one on the latter, but on the bottom of the top tube. Sorry for not specifying that. Here are some pics. Photo

Photo

|

2/18/2014 10:09 AM

You want to use something like a dermal and carefully grind the area smooth than the only real way to repair it is to weld a bit of metal that's just large enough. Use a tap and thread it, most that I've come across use an m10 or m8 thread. You can check by gauging the barrel bolts threading. Once it's welded in place, paint, Rustoleum makes a touch up paint brush/pen applicator that works perfectly.

I know it seems like a lot of work but it really isn't aside from welding it. most auto shops have a welder they'd probably do it for about 20 bucks.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/18/2014 10:11 AM

And thats guys why i am brakeless

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/18/2014 10:28 AM

Me too^^^

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/18/2014 10:36 AM

Damn. Guess brakelss it is. I may end up getting the Macneil Deuce Deuce frame soon so I guess I'll worry about brakes then

|

2/18/2014 11:10 AM

Oh just ziptie/ducktape that. I thought you meant something different.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/18/2014 1:47 PM

The only thing holding my cable is zip-ties on both my Bars and frame. You'll be fine. If you look at my bike check, you can see it.

|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |

2/18/2014 1:51 PM

Shortdude wrote:

Me too^^^

Them took to much mantenience and extra money.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/18/2014 2:06 PM

ii Krxfted wrote:

The only thing holding my cable is zip-ties on both my Bars and frame. You'll be fine. If you look at my bike check, you can ...more

I looked but didn't see any brakes. Noticed you're in Ocoee. I'm in Orlando.

|

2/18/2014 2:29 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo
|

2/18/2014 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2014 3:46 PM

you guys didnt look, the threaded tab just infront of the seat tube is what broke too, that means He has no barrel adjuster to correct cable stretch...

speaking as a professional, certified mechanic, I would not trust duct tape, and zip ties to hold the end portion of the brake cable housing, especially since you have no way to adjust for stretch now. You could rig a way to adjust for stretch using the hanger cable.... Bike shop might be able to think something up.

If you could find something to clamp onto the frame to hold the barrel adjuster, just next to where the broken one was, you'll be in good shape. Like I said, Take it to a bike shop. chances are, you'll spend less money on a fix than a new frame. and safer than brakeless, especially if this is also a bike you use for commuting.

Just thought of something that might do it.... find a metric coupler nut, you can generally find then at any hardware store(ace, tsc, true value) then use pc metal epoxy and epoxy that to the frame, then set your brakes back up again, you can use a zip tie to hold the cable closer to the steer tube... I might throw some tape on the nut just to make sure....

coupler nut+metal hoseclamp+epoxy=win

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/18/2014 3:43 PM

Didn't even notice that part^ so, pretty much everything he said.

|

2/18/2014 3:58 PM

File that broken piece so it's smooth.

Drill and tap it for a gyro tab.

Use the gyro tab as your new cable stop.

|

2/18/2014 4:14 PM

pnj wrote:

File that broken piece so it's smooth.

Drill and tap it for a gyro tab.

Use the gyro tab as your new cable stop.

that would work, but he may have a hard time getting a drill inside the frame to drill for the tab other then that, sounds like a plan to me.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/18/2014 4:26 PM

Bunch of good ideas. I'll definitely look into the what I can do with the back end. The other areas I figured a zip tie or something would do. I do appreciate the help

|

2/20/2014 3:33 PM

you could always run the brake cable like the s and m credence
[img]Photo[/img]

|

2/20/2014 3:56 PM

First, grind off the broken pieces and buy a gyro tab (Stolen Knuckle if you plan to run gyro) and grind off the little nub on the back of it.
Now you can either ghetto rig it and super/hot glue it into place and then wrap a piece of ductape firmly over it and around your frame.
Or drill a few small holes into the area of your frame that you just gound away (where the old mounts usef to be) and get some type of steel puddy (the sell little cubes of it at the counter at O'Reilly's for dirt cheap, youll only need one.) And file/sand the area that you just drilled/ground and the back of your new brake tab and clean them well. Apply the putty and push it into the small holes you drilled aswell as the hole in the brake tab and push the two together and form the excess puddy around the tab and push it on the sides of the tab. Let that shit dry and its good as new.

Btw drilling the holes is to ensure the putty sticks everything together really well. Im afraid if you dont, it will pull right off your frame.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/25/2014 11:44 PM

edge814 wrote:

[img]Photo[/img]

Like my GT

Photo

|

bmxult.tumblr.com
Instagram: BMXULT

2/26/2014 9:08 AM

edge814 wrote:

[img]Photo[/img]

Do this

|

It’s all bmx

2/26/2014 10:25 AM

Those are chainstay mounts. I think his mounts are on the seatstay. Idk. Correct me if I'm wrong.

|

2/26/2014 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2014 2:28 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Those are chainstay mounts. I think his mounts are on the seatstay. Idk. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They are chainstay mounts but it is still possible to do with seatstay mounts as all you have have to do is put in your seat tube at the spot you want and drill through it as well. I have done it before on older frames I have had.

|

8/17/2014 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2014 7:09 PM

I still haven't fixed this but thought of something. Could have something welded in place where the old one was. Either a nut or a piece of metal with a threading opening for the barrel adjuster. Have had too many close calls riding street and having to jam my foot in the tire. Wears them down super fast.

This is how it looks now

lPhoto

|

8/17/2014 7:17 PM

drill a hole through the top of the seattube like suggested. probably the easiest solution other than no brakes.
most frames on here regardless of quality go for 175 or less, so i would just save up for the next frame and drill a hole in the meantime

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/17/2014 11:26 PM

What seat is that its really cute

|

13 years old