Broken crank bolt..

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2014 11:27 AM

I've been getting some noise out of my left crank for as long as I can remember having it, but spraying some oil on it usually kept it quiet. Today I rode out and smacked my junk on the seat and top tube when my entire crank arm came off. The guys at my local bike shop knew that one of the bolts was broken when they put my sprocket on...but didnt bother checking the other, Now i'm stuck with this:Photo

Should I try and use a drill bit to get it out or just take it to a shop? I'm just looking for whatever's cheapest

|

8/3/2014 11:32 AM

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/3/2014 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2014 11:48 AM

take it to a machinest. they can get that out. or try drilling a hole into the broken bolt then jam a screwdriver into the hole and try turning the bolt out. there are other tricks but try this first.

|

i ride to stay young

8/3/2014 11:57 AM

urebmx wrote:

take it to a machinest. they can get that out. or try drilling a hole into the broken bolt then jam a screwdriver into the ...more

yea, my grandfather tried drilling a hole into it, but it just spun further down into the spindle. Theres room for the new bolt to go in now so I guess it worked out haha. I think I just need to get a little more grease on everything.

|

8/3/2014 12:00 PM

did you try putting the drill in reverse and backing the bolt out? because if it went down that esay it might come out.

|

i ride to stay young

8/3/2014 12:01 PM

|

8/3/2014 12:03 PM

urebmx wrote:

did you try putting the drill in reverse and backing the bolt out? because if it went down that esay it might come out.

The drill bit wouldn't catch. He pressed the drill bit harder to try and make a hole, but it ended up sliding the broken bolt piece down a few rotations every time. I tried to tap it out but its still pretty stuck

|

8/3/2014 12:12 PM

Ya looks like a pain in the ass to get out. I would probably just sell a new spindle if this problem walked in to our shop.

Fortunately 8 spline spindles are really affordable so it's not a big deal!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/3/2014 12:27 PM

transition_chris wrote:

Ya looks like a pain in the ass to get out. I would probably just sell a new spindle if this problem walked in to our shop.

...more

This is what it looks like now. The new bolt seems to sit right inPhoto

|

8/3/2014 12:29 PM

Photo

|

8/3/2014 2:15 PM

urebmx wrote:

take it to a machinest. they can get that out. or try drilling a hole into the broken bolt then jam a screwdriver into the ...more

I got everything back on and went out riding, everything seems good but I found this washer when my crank came off. I'm not sure where it goes, but I put between the spindle and the crank arm. Would I be better off without it?Photo

|

8/3/2014 2:48 PM

As long as it rides fine, its all good

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/3/2014 2:56 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

As long as it rides fine, its all good

Haha thats true. I noticed a little wiggle in the crank arm so I'm gonna see what happens without the washer.

|

8/3/2014 5:01 PM

looks good to me

|

i ride to stay young

8/4/2014 10:19 AM

Threading in further works for now, check that bolt more often. Also, what I used to do was file or dremel a small notch into the broken bolt if I could reach it, then use a flathead screwdriver of the correct size to remove it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2014 10:40 AM

dude, you have the worst luck with your drivetrain!

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

8/4/2014 11:04 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Threading in further works for now, check that bolt more often. Also, what I used to do was file or dremel a small notch into ...more

Yea , I'm probably going to just buy a new spindle when I get the chance. Do most cranks work with 8 spline spindles? And does the size of the spindle matter if I just get a set of 3 piece cranks in the future? I'm asking because I honestly still don't know how to tell the spindle size.

|

8/4/2014 11:10 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Ahah I know. I'm glad I wasn't in traffic or anything when the crank slid off. I'm afraid my forks are gonna go next, they make a weird metal on metal screech sometimes when I hop or turn, and after seeing a kids fork snap completely on a 180 it seems like thats the next thing I need to check into

|

8/4/2014 1:01 PM

wawa011 wrote:

Ahah I know. I'm glad I wasn't in traffic or anything when the crank slid off. I'm afraid my forks are gonna go next, they ...more

until you get a new one i'd check for any small cracks or anything before every session just to be safe then upgrade to an odyssey ASAP!

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

8/4/2014 2:42 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

wawa011 wrote:

Ahah I know. I'm glad I wasn't in traffic or anything when the crank slid off. I'm afraid my forks are gonna go next, they ...more

ironmaiden666 wrote:

until you get a new one i'd check for any small cracks or anything before every session just to be safe then upgrade to an ...more

Definitely odyssey or anything that lasts, I just need to start looking for some forks that will have room for the MTT i'm running in the front.

|

8/4/2014 2:46 PM

you sir, need an extractor bit.

basically, it drills itsway into the broken screw, and then when the drill is put in reverse, it unthreads the broken bolt form whatever its stuck in, then simply hold the bit with some pliers to let it be unscrewed off the bit.

hardwarestore, might be ehhh 15 bucks will save huge headaches in the future.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/4/2014 5:13 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Threading in further works for now, check that bolt more often. Also, what I used to do was file or dremel a small notch into ...more

wawa011 wrote:

Yea , I'm probably going to just buy a new spindle when I get the chance. Do most cranks work with 8 spline spindles? And does ...more

8 spline typically are the same diameter.

Not all cranks will match up. You need to match 8 spline with 8 spline, 48 spline with 48 spline.

I would bet they are a 19mm.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2014 7:46 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

wawa011 wrote:

Yea , I'm probably going to just buy a new spindle when I get the chance. Do most cranks work with 8 spline spindles? And does ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

8 spline typically are the same diameter.

Not all cranks will match up. You need to match 8 spline with 8 spline, 48 spline ...more

Nice, it seems simple enough. Guess I'll figure it out when it comes time to buy some new ones.

|

8/4/2014 7:47 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

basically, it drills itsway into the broken screw, and then when the drill is put in reverse, ...more

This is unrelated, but what kind of lube do you use? I was told WD-40 wasnt gonna cut...although i've been greasing bolts and stuff with it since it's all I have.

|

8/4/2014 7:53 PM

wawa011 wrote:

This is unrelated, but what kind of lube do you use? I was told WD-40 wasnt gonna cut...although i've been greasing bolts and ...more

WD-40 is NOT lube, it's a degreaser. Just go to Wal-Mart and pick up some all-purpose grease, I just use some random kind from there & it does the job nicely.

|

8/4/2014 7:59 PM

You might want to remove the spacers on your spindle so you have more spindle for the crank arms to hold on to.

looks like the bolts broke because there isn't enough spindle.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

8/4/2014 8:03 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

basically, it drills itsway into the broken screw, and then when the drill is put in reverse, ...more

wawa011 wrote:

This is unrelated, but what kind of lube do you use? I was told WD-40 wasnt gonna cut...although i've been greasing bolts and ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

WD-40 is NOT lube, it's a degreaser. Just go to Wal-Mart and pick up some all-purpose grease, I just use some random kind from ...more

haha thats actually great to know

|

8/4/2014 8:08 PM

Park Tool's PPL-1
Photo

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/4/2014 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2014 8:29 PM

one try kid wrote:

You might want to remove the spacers on your spindle so you have more spindle for the crank arms to hold on to.

looks like ...more

I don't think that spacer was on there before I got a new sprocket. The people at my local shop might've put that on there to even out the crank arms. Or it's some random piece i grabbed when everything fell apart under me. This is what it looked like a few weeks ago, I think those are threads showing where I put that washer. Photo

I tried taking the washer off, but I still couldn't get the crank to slid down the spindle any further. I tried tapping it with a hammer wrapped in an old shirt but it kept pushing the spindle out the other side with the sprocket instead giving the crank arm more spindle

|

8/9/2014 2:07 PM

All you need to to is go to oriley,get an easy out,probably one smaller than the one I have shown,hammer it in,then get an adjustable wrench twist It out,should be fairly easy.Photo

|