Broken rib?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2017 10:27 AM

So on Sunday I was trying to hanger a flat rail for the first time, one of this flat rail's support beams decided to catch my peg after I slid off of the rail, subsequently impaling my thumb knuckle into my ribs at full force and almost flipping me over the bars (it probably looked hilarious to be honest)

Instantly I got my breath taken away and it felt like I took a jab from Mike Tyson to my ribs. I was short on breath for about 5 minutes and then I could breathe but felt sharp pain when doing pretty much anything that required movement.

Now every time I cough, laugh, sneeze, sniffle my nose, take a dump, etc. I have sharp pain just under my left breast area, and my god does it fuckin hurt to press with my finger, even gently.

Do I sound broke???

|

4/25/2017 10:33 AM

Could be broken, but it also could be just bruised. Let's hope it's just a bruise!

Just get it checked out, not much we can do here.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/25/2017 11:58 AM

You should go to a medical professional and ask for advice there lol

|

4/25/2017 12:00 PM

Professional. Go see one.

|

4/25/2017 12:27 PM

Well, if you are still alive from Sunday, we can (probably) rule out lung puncture - which is the main concern of a broken rib.

But you should still go to a doc, and get their opinion, even though they can't do anything, and will probably charge you.

|

4/25/2017 1:44 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Well, if you are still alive from Sunday, we can (probably) rule out lung puncture - which is the main concern of a broken ...more

Lmao. Yeah I know what the doc will say, here's a pain meds script and a suggestion for a month heal time, take it easy and thanks for the money.

More interested in those who have broken a rib/ribs and what it felt like so I can compare

|

4/25/2017 2:08 PM

Probably bruise, probably a break. Hard to say. I had the same thing happen with the shortness of breath. As soon as I hit my ribs, it felt like getting kicked in the stomach by a donkey and my breath was instantly taken away and I couldn't breathe right for a minute, then I was fine. Minus pain when I'd breathe, sneeze, stretch, anything of that sort. It was super sensitive to even touch too and there was like a marble size bump on my rib for several months. Took about a week & a half to start riding again even though it hurt and I shouldn't have done that, don't recommend. Just take it easy & keep ice on it.

See a doctor if you want, I'm not gonna act like your parents and say "GET TO A DOCTOR NOW!" cause that's up to you, but I do recommend you go to one just in case there's damage that can't be seen. I didn't see a doctor for mine, but I probably should've.

|

4/25/2017 2:15 PM

yea, doctors can't do anything unless your rib is inside your lung or something.

You can try to wrap it but as you seem to already know, it just takes time to heal.

Laughing sucks, sneezing sucks lol.

broken/bruised ribs suck. smile

|

4/25/2017 6:05 PM

fakieslider wrote:

So on Sunday I was trying to hanger a flat rail for the first time, one of this flat rail's support beams decided to catch my ...more

I have broken my fair share of bones and with a rib/s you won't ever question it. But here are the common things I have noticed when a friend or I have broken one or more.

1- Pain doing anything at all. I'm a personal trainer so stay with me here. The ab muscles connected to the ribs are used even if your not aware of it. Pretty much the pain only goes away if you are sleeping...but turn or roll right and it will hurt bad enough for you to sit up in bed.

2- Alot of times the area turns purple and blue, sometimes almost black. The reason is the rib is pushing on the area. So it bruises around it. Not always but alot of the time.

3- This one happens at times, you can feel it move. If you can take the pain push on it. Is it moving more than the side that is not hurt?

Never mess with ribs. If you have a piece that is floating around in your body it can be deadly. They can puncture lungs, cut organs and more. Goto the local ER (if you don't have insurance this still works) and get an xray. When they take your information if you don't have insurance tell them your self paying. Once they check it out tell them to bill you. They should give you pain medication too. Don't mess around with it, punctured lungs and stuff will keep you down for awhile. A rib injury is mainly rest. So, get it checked out and best case it starts to feel better in a few days

|