Bruised Ribs, question

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2016 5:32 AM

So about 3 weeks ago i made a trip to RaysMTB in Cleveland. I am very inexperienced with box jumps so I expected to crash. I hit the jump, landed awkwardly and fell forward and my ribs hit the lip of the next jump right on the corner. The pain was extremely bad for a few days, couldnt sleep on that side, couldnt stretch. Now 3 weeks later the pain is still there, its not bad but when i stretch out it hurts, and when I sneeze it hurts pretty bad. Is it just bruised possibly and I should just let it go? Or should i possibly get it checked out if the pain doesnt go away?

|

10/7/2016 5:43 AM

In April, I had a fall and landed right into my handlebar end with the right side of my chest, under the pectoral muscle, so my ribs got the full impact.
The pain lasted about 3 months with ups and downs.
Stretching, laughing or sneezing hurts like hell smile)

Anyways, you should see your doctor, just as a safe measure.

|

10/7/2016 6:23 AM

There's nothing your doctor can do for your ribs. Take some ibuprofen

|

It’s all bmx

10/7/2016 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2016 7:38 AM

I'm a doctor so here's my advice:

Ribs are most likely fractured and thus a little sore with inspiration and movement
Use an anti-inflammatory pill like Aleve or Ibuprofen
You can apply heat to the area to increase blood flow and speed the healing process (ice only after immediate injury)
Don't push it too much so take it easy another couple weeks

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

10/7/2016 8:03 AM

gagepamer7 wrote:

So about 3 weeks ago i made a trip to RaysMTB in Cleveland. I am very inexperienced with box jumps so I expected to crash. I hit the jump, landed awkwardly and fell forward and my ribs hit the lip of the next jump right on the corner. The pain was extremely bad for a few days, couldnt sleep on that side, couldnt stretch. Now 3 weeks later the pain is still there, its not bad but when i stretch out it hurts, and when I sneeze it hurts pretty bad. Is it just bruised possibly and I should just let it go? Or should i possibly get it checked out if the pain doesnt go away?

Not trying to be a jerk, but if it was that bad, why wouldn't you go in to make sure there isn't more severe damage?

As to what they can do, if ribs are broken they give you a compression brace that holds everything snug-which means AFTER it's on, some less pain with things like breathing.

If fractured, rest, OTC pain meds, relax.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/7/2016 8:47 AM

It's probably fractured or broken ribs , just take painkillers you can't really do much with injured ribs but let time heal them , breaking ribs sucks

|

10/7/2016 12:46 PM

I bruised mine the first week of june, too almost 2 months to fully heal. But since I'm stupid & stubborn I only gave it like a week or 2 before easing back into riding. They weren't badly bruised though.

Funny enough I'm currently dealing with bruised ribs again, bruised em on Monday but again I'm an idiot and rode yesterday. Stuck to tricks that didn't irritate it though, not that that makes it any better.

Just give it some more time

|

10/7/2016 5:59 PM

Doctors cant fix broken ribs. I had the same problems as you did and I took ibuprofen for a few weeks. Hurt like hell but they healed. Have fun..

|

Smoke Drink Die

10/8/2016 1:38 AM

I've broken mine before both surfing and BMXing.

It totally sucks, there's not much you can do but take some painkillers and wait it out.

I was easing back into riding in two weeks (in pain, and probably too early but I couldn't wait any longer).

|

10/8/2016 6:09 AM

How the hell do you break ribs crashing into waves? Or is it the waves crashing in to you, lol?

What I think of this-I havent broken ribs, but I've known people who've had.

As said previously, docs cant mend them back. Your body does the whole work. Seriously, there isnt a real need to go see and get an X-Ray for that. In both cases, if it's broken, you end up with less bucks than at the start-and that's all. Sure, you could get a brace-but would it justify spending more than 100+ bucks on cheap chinese nylon crap with velcro? Getting a band wrapped around the whole torso for 5 bucks would do the same job-but no fancy velcro.

Fracturing ribs are a bitch because of the pain-but just let it heal and it will be fine-dont do crazy shit. Doctors would just squeeze the green bills out of you, frown and say "hey man, I thunk it's broken. Bad luck. Go home and rest. Bye bye."

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

10/8/2016 7:29 AM

I broke my rib by landing on my bars when I was like 14. Never did anything about it. It doesn't hurt anymore lol. It sticks out a little bit but it's all good.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/28/2016 1:14 AM

Four wrote:

I broke my rib by landing on my bars when I was like 14. Never did anything about it. It doesn't hurt anymore lol. It sticks out a little bit but it's all good.

So, I got punched in my rib smile)
In the first two weeks it started, gradually, to hurt like hell
But now the pain is getting better.

The only issue is that sometimes I get up in the middle of the night from sudden pain, aaand something started to stick out near the impact zone.

Did that caused any issues for you? The sticking out bit?

|

11/28/2016 11:08 AM

Youll be ok in a couple months. Doctors dont do shit for broken ribs.ive broken many bones and ribs are the worst by far. Sleeping, breathing, moving, and eating. Everything sucks lol gl

|

11/29/2016 12:22 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Youll be ok in a couple months. Doctors dont do shit for broken ribs.ive broken many bones and ribs are the worst by far. Sleeping, breathing, moving, and eating. Everything sucks lol gl

Yeah, I know sad
I'm just worried for the bone that's sticking out smile)

|

11/29/2016 7:12 PM

Im not a doctor and you really shouldnt be taking medical advise from a stranger on the internet in a bmx forum. The more i think about this the funnier and more rediculous it is lol.

|