Buckled My Kink Frame

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2008 12:03 PM

This shit sucks. I was riding to the bank to get some money today after school. I have been riding brakeless for the past week or two. I did a small gap into a steep wedge, I was going pretty fast at the time. When I landed into the wedge I imediatley saw a parking block sitting at the bottom. There was no stopping, no dodging, and no bailing... it all happened so fast. I simply braced myself and monster trucked the parking block. I heard a strange sound and felt like my bars slipped foward in my stem.

I got off my bike, leaned it against a wall, and stepped back to see the damage. My bars were straight, my fork was straight, my front rim wasn't dented, my tire wasn't flat... WTF? Well, my top tube and down tube had cracks in the top and the tubes were crushed in on the bottom. Fuck!!! I thought about jumping out of some bushes and into oncoming traffic to end my pathetic life. My bike, and the time I spend on it, is the only thing that brings me true joy.

I just got off the phone with Kink. They said the waranty on my Jim Cielencki signature was just a one year waranty. They told me they will help me out though. They offered to give me a Farside or Dutchman frame in any color and size I want for $180 plus shipping. I'm thinking about getting the Dutchman in 20.5 flat black and calling it a day. The only shitty part is I have to buy an integrated headset and a mid bottom bracket... I just bought a new bottom bracket. Fuck!!!

I'll post some pics of my poor frame up later.

|

I awarded myself infinite cool points. Breaking the rules has never been this cool... EVER! Forever.

9/3/2008 12:15 PM

definitley gotta see the pics, how bout pics of the spot that killed it too?

|

9/3/2008 12:16 PM

Shit happens man, that's part of the sport. But it really sucks when it happens this bad. Sorry about that. Do you have any pictures?

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

9/3/2008 12:17 PM

What BB was in your old frame? If it was american just take out the cups

|

<insert signature here>

9/3/2008 12:27 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

It doesn't look that bad, I guess. The head tube angle feels a lot steeper though. I have been riding this frame for years, now it's just a really fancy paper weight.

|

I awarded myself infinite cool points. Breaking the rules has never been this cool... EVER! Forever.

9/3/2008 12:31 PM

iBike wrote:

What BB was in your old frame? If it was american just take out the cups

Unfortunatly my current (bent) frame has a Euro bottom bracket.

|

9/3/2008 12:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2008 12:43 PM

your luky that it was only yur frame im surprised u didnt break anything else like a fork or a wheel doesent really look that bad but i wouldnt ride it again cuz it might break real easy if u tried shit on it

|

Out tha game

fork 4 sale odssey classic dirt

9/3/2008 12:44 PM

bishop_bmx wrote:

definitley gotta see the pics, how bout pics of the spot that killed it too?

I got pics of the bike. The spot is actually really fun. It's just giant wedges surrounding an entire parking lot. In some places the concrete has shifted so the wedges have become kink ramps... almost like quarter pipes. There's a nice wall ride and a sweet hip at the spot. I've rode there a million times, I just simply wasn't paying attention this time.

|

9/3/2008 12:47 PM

Mr Wilson wrote:

your luky that it was only yur frame im surprised u didnt break anything else like a fork or a wheel doesent really look that bad but i wouldnt ride it again cuz it might break real easy if u tried shit on it

You really can't see it in the pictures but the top tube and down tube both have cracks around the welds. I'm happy that nothing else broke. I'm lucky I don't have a broken face. I honestly don't know how I held on, I hit the parking block going at least 25 mph.

|

9/3/2008 2:46 PM

well thts good a dutchman for 180

|