Build your own street bike

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2021 6:27 PM

I've been out of the game for so long, I dont know what new parts are good anymore and why.

I posted a bike that I resto modded and im about to do another one. The last one i did I kept it mostly OG i only got some Salt tires, Eclat seat and Sinz bearing set.

Without breaking the bank, which tires, seat, grips and pedals would you go with if you were building a nice street riding only bike? Keep in mind the bike im doing, brand new probably only cost $300(its not a new bike, its beat to shit.)

What do you guys think?

|

1/26/2021 6:31 PM

Tires: Sunday street sweeper or current v2
Pedals: bsd jonesin
Grips: eclat pulsar
Seat: If you are keeping it budget, any fat seat you can find for cheap

You could also probably find better tires but both I mentioned are budget and solid choices

|

1/26/2021 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2021 7:00 PM

younggotti wrote:

You could also probably find better tires but both I mentioned are budget and solid choices

Is there a reason for the Sunday tires? I have the Salt Tracers and even though I havent ridden much, they seem really good and quiet.

Can you point me in the direction of a "fat seat" ? My eclat isn't fat at all, its alright as far as comfortablitly.

|

1/26/2021 7:07 PM

younggotti wrote:

neverdone wrote:

Is there a reason for the Sunday tires? I have the Salt Tracers and even though I havent ridden much, they seem really good and quiet.

Can you point me in the direction of a "fat seat" ? My eclat isn't fat at all, its alright as far as comfortablitly.

It's not specifically Sunday as a brand...it's more so that I rode street sweepers and liked them, I actually just bought some current v2's but my tires still have some life on them so I haven't tried them yet...never got a flat from the street sweepers

I recommend both of them because they are rated at 100psi which I prefer over the 50 and 60psi in that price range, they are both the cheapest 100psi option I've found

As far a seat, I use my seat still from a complete I had, probably look at some budget brands like salt, rant, stolen or misson

|

1/26/2021 9:29 PM

These are my favs:

Seat: Primo Biscuit
Pedals: Primo Turbo
Tires: S&M Speedball
Grips: Merritt Crumlish

|

1/26/2021 9:38 PM

Need the primo Josh stricker pedals for the gas power if you want to be street

|

1/27/2021 7:02 PM

Do you have any pics of the bike?

|

1/27/2021 7:07 PM

For some reason it only allows me to put certain pics up, but this is the gist of it. Im sandblasting it tomorrow and powdercoating it once I receive my powder.
Photo

|

2/2/2021 8:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/2/2021 10:05 PM

So today i sandblasted most everything and powdercoated the cranks and sprocket, tomorrow ill powdercoat the rest, here's the list of whats going on.
DK frame, forks, handle bars, crank, headset, front sprocket
Sandblasted
P/C'd Denim Blue frame, forks and handle bars
Powdercoat cranks and sprocket midnight black
Rest is going to be painted gloss black
Schwinn pedals
United Supreme V2 wheels w/small sprocket
20x2.35 Salt Tracer tires
ODI grips
New brake pads
Re-lube all the bearings
Should be all done and put back together in the next couple days, ive got about 2.5 hours into it so far.

|

2/2/2021 10:02 PM

Photo
Photo
|

2/2/2021 10:08 PM

Photo
|

2/3/2021 1:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 1:34 PM

Photo
Pre-baked
Photo

Baked
Photo
Not sure why it doesn't allow me to put up certain pics.
|

2/27/2021 12:44 PM

Still some left to do, but its coming along. Turned out killer. Instead of getting a new seat, im just re-wrapping this one.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/27/2021 2:02 PM

Coming together nicely! Looks like it'll be killer when it's done.

|

2/27/2021 2:04 PM

neverdone wrote:

Still some left to do, but its coming along. Turned out killer. Instead of getting a new seat, im just re-wrapping this one.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Nice sprocket!

|

2/27/2021 6:36 PM

@neverdone it's looking good man! If I ever want a street specific bike, I'll probably get the WTP Battleship complete and be done with it. It's pretty much a custom bike. Only thing I don't vibe with, is the 2 color tires. I think that's too goofy for my taste.

|

2/27/2021 8:24 PM

I'm still learning, all over again. I use to swap parts and customize them back in the early 90s, I just mnow nothing about what parts are good anymore.

|

2/27/2021 10:22 PM

neverdone wrote:

I'm still learning, all over again. I use to swap parts and customize them back in the early 90s, I just mnow nothing about what parts are good anymore.

Same brands that were good in the 90s are still good today..

|

2/27/2021 11:52 PM

neverdone wrote:

You and me both. When I got back into it last October, I didn't know jack. WTP, Sunday, Kink, Cult, all those brands didn't exist when I rode from the late 80s-early 90s. Which is why I went with a complete. One thing to keep in mind if you're looking for a complete. Not with everything, but with bikes, you really do get what you're paying for. As far as completes go, anything $700 and up will get you a solid , quality bike with high quality parts,.

|

2/27/2021 11:58 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree . I rode a Redline in the early 90s. I was looking to get a Redline again when I was bike shopping last year, but I quickly found out that Redline isn't what it used to be. Now they're more known for racing and just aren't known for that same quality. Same with GT, Mongoose and so on. In their place in the new school is Sunday, WTP, Kink etc.

|

2/28/2021 6:54 AM

neverdone wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Vic707b wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree . I rode a Redline in the early 90s. I was looking to get a Redline again when I was bike shopping last year, but I quickly found out that Redline isn't what it used to be. Now they're more known for racing and just aren't known for that same quality. Same with GT, Mongoose and so on. In their place in the new school is Sunday, WTP, Kink etc.

Definitely true. A lot of the old high end brands are department store quality these days. But in the end, they're running a business and they get that their brand doesn't have the same cache as it used to, so they produce cheap to manufacture bikes and parts at a lower price point and sell en masse to turn a profit. You're beginning to see the same from some of the independent companies that were big back in the early 00's. I'm not gonna hate, everyone deserves success in the game.

|

2/28/2021 3:21 PM

Ya I bought my kid a GT Slammer a couple years ago for his first "real" bmx, but it just isn't the same as the GTs I used to ride.

These 2 that I've rebuilt should be pretty solid. The Schwinn is fucking heavy though lol

|

2/28/2021 3:25 PM

neverdone wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Vic707b wrote:

Yeah I see where you are coming from.. I was thinking along the lines of Odyssey, S&M, Profile, and maybe a couple i can't think of right now..

|

3/2/2021 10:22 AM

I re-wrapped the leather on the seat. Not bad for my first try.Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/2/2021 11:45 AM

Well I ran into an issue. The rear wheel hub bolts are too big for the frame. The OEM ones are flat on both sides.

I tried swapping them, but they're not swappable. Should I look for a new hub with flat bolts?

|

3/2/2021 12:00 PM

File the dropouts bigger...

|

3/2/2021 12:03 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Thought about that, but I just powdercoated the damn thing lol

|

3/2/2021 12:18 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

neverdone wrote:

Score the paint before doing it. That paint is likely to get messed up anyway around the dropouts/bolts. You won't find another hub with flat sides on the axle that isn't a POS, at least that's what I'm thinking anyway.. Maybe someone else will have a better idea...

|

3/2/2021 1:29 PM

Also, devils in the details. Cinema pedals with gold nuts on the Schwinn. Photo

|

3/2/2021 2:35 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

neverdone wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Score the paint before doing it. That paint is likely to get messed up anyway around the dropouts/bolts. You won't find another hub with flat sides on the axle that isn't a POS, at least that's what I'm thinking anyway.. Maybe someone else will have a better idea...

Maybe ill take a die grinder to it.

|