Building Trails on Your Own Land

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2018 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 1:56 PM

Hello!

So I have been exploring the idea of building some dirt jumps on this plot of land that I have next to my house.

There isn't a fence around it, but it is a of decent size for a six pack, and some berms at least.

My concern is that I will get reprimanded by the Gestapo. If I go ask the city: I figured they would make me jump through a hell of loops in order to get it approved. I am just not sure if I can build some dirt jumps on my own land without any consequences. Maybe build a fence first? Wanted to keep it low cost though.

The land is right next to a road. I am afraid I will get spotted, and fined or something.

If anyone has had any similar experiences, and can relate on how they went about it would be great.

|

FI

1/19/2018 2:03 PM

Surely if it's your land and you're not building an actual building, it doesn't matter? There may be regulations about how high you can build something. I don't know. Personally, I'd just do it. If they don't like it then knock them down, but it's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (I learnt that from being married)

|

1/19/2018 2:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Surely if it's your land and you're not building an actual building, it doesn't matter? There may be regulations about how high you can build something. I don't know. Personally, I'd just do it. If they don't like it then knock them down, but it's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (I learnt that from being married)

Haha, I do agree! I figured I'd just do it. However, my fear is if I order a bunch of dirt and they shut down my operation; I will be on another level of fucked!

|

FI

1/19/2018 2:10 PM

Better to ask for forgiveness as they say.

Up here my sister had an empty lot next to her house and my nephew and his dad built an ATV trail on it. Nothing crazy, just basically a windy loop on 1/2 acre. Hidden behind all this overgrowth:

Photo

Lot sold, and they just dozed the trail without batting an eye.

9 times out of 10 if there's an empty lot, SOME kind of excavation is going to need to be done if there's going to be a structure there, so I say go for it.

Worst case scenario someone will have something to say about liability, but...that's everyone's excuse for poopin on fun.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/19/2018 2:14 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Better to ask for forgiveness as they say.

Up here my sister had an empty lot next to her house and my nephew and his dad built an ATV trail on it. Nothing crazy, just basically a windy loop on 1/2 acre. Hidden behind all this overgrowth:

Photo

Lot sold, and they just dozed the trail without batting an eye.

9 times out of 10 if there's an empty lot, SOME kind of excavation is going to need to be done if there's going to be a structure there, so I say go for it.

Worst case scenario someone will have something to say about liability, but...that's everyone's excuse for poopin on fun.

I see what you mean, I am just scared that I will get all sorts of liability issues with the city.

|

FI

1/19/2018 2:15 PM

I think you'll be fine...

I just moved into my new house a couple weeks ago, it's on 3 1/2 acres, so I figured I'd get a couple buddies and build some trails, and if I can find a bulk of cheap wood, I'd like to build my own skatepark in the back, still not sure yet, but maybe in the summer...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/19/2018 2:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I think you'll be fine...

I just moved into my new house a couple weeks ago, it's on 3 1/2 acres, so I figured I'd get a couple buddies and build some trails, and if I can find a bulk of cheap wood, I'd like to build my own skatepark in the back, still not sure yet, but maybe in the summer...

Yeah boy, thing is I don't have that much land, and the plot I want to build on is next to a road. You'll be able to see the jumps from 59 possibly. Lol

|

FI

1/19/2018 3:10 PM

order dirt?

get a shovel and some friends and start digging...

|

1/19/2018 3:14 PM

pnj wrote:

order dirt?

get a shovel and some friends and start digging...

Grass field. Not very good, workable dirt around here. If it was a dirt patch then yeah, I would do that.

|

FI

1/19/2018 3:21 PM

I build houses for a living. If you own the land and are not constructing a wall or creating a structure, you can go to town, as long as its your property you may do what you want with it.

|

1/19/2018 3:23 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I build houses for a living. If you own the land and are not constructing a wall or creating a structure, you can go to town, as long as its your property you may do what you want with it.

So any wood ramps are a no go?

|

FI

1/19/2018 3:33 PM

No I meant like foundation structures like a barn or shed, jumps should be fine. What you need to worry about is if it starts to look like a garbage pit, if its well maintained and clean and not a junk pile of garbage you should be good.

|

1/22/2018 12:39 AM

I know a kid that built an 8' wide, 8' long x10' tall quarter in the middle of the damn road where he lives. Its been there for like 4 weeks that I know of.

Some areas just dont care. Id say go for it, i dont think they would say anything as long as you dont have parties and a bunch of loudness going on.

|

1/22/2018 1:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2018 2:01 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I know a kid that built an 8' wide, 8' long x10' tall quarter in the middle of the damn road where he lives. Its been there for like 4 weeks that I know of.

Some areas just dont care. Id say go for it, i dont think they would say anything as long as you dont have parties and a bunch of loudness going on.

That quarter sounds sick AF!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/22/2018 4:04 AM

The government is shut down, now is your chance!!

|

It’s all bmx

1/22/2018 5:05 AM

So... you own t he land or you just want to build something on a vacant piece of land next to your house? If you own it, I don't see an issue other than you might attract locals who want to ride it (whether or not you say it's OK) which puts you at risk should someone get hurt. THAT is what I'd be worried about. If it is on someone else's piece of land & you build it, I'd still disavow having anything to do with it in public other than just riding it yourself. That way, should someone get hurt, they can't come after you for anything.

|

1/22/2018 8:19 AM

i bet there is good dirt UNDER the dirt that is under the grass. Dig down and keep digging.

Trails take work. Don't be afraid to put in work.

What part of texas are you in?

|

1/22/2018 8:32 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

That sounds sick. I am just going to ask the city just in case they make me tear everything down. I rather not spend the money until I'm sure. I am going to have an 8ft quarter as the roll in though.

|

FI

1/22/2018 8:33 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

The government is shut down, now is your chance!!

Hahaha, you're right

|

FI

1/22/2018 8:33 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

So... you own t he land or you just want to build something on a vacant piece of land next to your house? If you own it, I don't see an issue other than you might attract locals who want to ride it (whether or not you say it's OK) which puts you at risk should someone get hurt. THAT is what I'd be worried about. If it is on someone else's piece of land & you build it, I'd still disavow having anything to do with it in public other than just riding it yourself. That way, should someone get hurt, they can't come after you for anything.

Hey, I was thinking the same thing. More of a liability issue.

|

FI