Building a halfpipe would like to hear others opinions

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2013 12:55 AM

Here's the deal, I'm Building a halfpipe, I'm just about finished with one of the ends, and I'm getting ready to build the flat section. The halfpipe is 8' tall with 8' of transition. So it hits vertical at the bottom of the coping. I was dreaming about a halfpipe with a spine, but the size of my yard says NO! I originally was going to build a 6' quarterpipe, a 6' spine, and then West end was the 8' end, I was thinking like it could be a wall with only 1' of platform (not useable) just so I could get it all the way back to my neighbors fence, and have a little more room for the spine section. Since it's not possible to go with the spine due to space restrictions, now that the West end is complete, I was wondering if I should still make the east end of the ramp only 6' with 8' transition, with a big deck, or would that be a mistake?

If I build the east end @6' then I'll use a 10' flat section, If I just say fuck it and grow some balls and make the east end 8' then I'll use a 12' flat section.

The question is: 8' on each end or 8' on one end and 6' on the other?

|

-You can outdistance that which is running after you....... But not what is running inside you.

5/31/2013 1:09 AM

Photo

Photo
Here are a few pictures
|

-You can outdistance that which is running after you....... But not what is running inside you.

5/31/2013 1:47 AM

8' both sides, also u should make the deck bigger, u don't want to fall over on that fence. You can always add a 6' quater to the side

|

5/31/2013 3:03 AM

I'd do 8x8

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

5/31/2013 4:57 AM

8 and 8. Then have a small deck and put a railing up so you have something to catch yourself on/fufanu smile

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/31/2013 5:07 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

8 and 8. Then have a small deck and put a railing up so you have something to catch yourself on/fufanu smile

8 and 8 it is!

The West end (shown in photos) I can only squeeze a 2' platform with a rail, and the East end I can make the platform a lot deeper, I'm thinking like a 6' deep one. That should be more than enough.

Thanks Guys!

P.S. Who wants to teach me how to ride it?

|

5/31/2013 5:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2013 5:34 AM

^^ That sounds like a plan mate. Go for it. If you want to learn how to air out then watch this. I have found it quite useful.

EDIT: can't spell (spelled how as hoe haha)
|

Bruh

5/31/2013 7:40 AM

Damn I want one lol

|

i used to like pork till i found out it came from cops...

5/31/2013 10:12 AM

How much is that costing you?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/31/2013 12:20 PM

Im building one 6foot on one side 5 foot on the other 8 foot wide and 10 foot long for flyout tricks on the 5 foot side

|

Save a tree

Ride a Bike...... I am an environmentalist jk hahaha

BIKE CHECK: http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/WallmartBMX,103987/setup,83842

WATCH MY NEW EDIT IM SO PROUD OF IT!!

5/31/2013 5:57 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

???

|

5/31/2013 8:31 PM

This is my friend's half pipe in his back yard. It has a spine and a vert wall the side the picture is taken from is for fly outs Photo

|

5/31/2013 8:40 PM

Sweet looking set ups dudes! I would deff say 8x8. And your fine as long as you have a deck on the one side your good to go for your lip tricks! Did you skatepaint it? Is that what is shown in the second picture?

|

6/4/2013 9:55 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Damn, I was trying not to keep track! The first trip to Home Depot I got 24 Sheets of 3/4" ply and a pallet of 2x2x8' PT, a couple super size buckets of screws and I think it was about $1900.00, then six yards of paver base for leveling out my yard for $180.00, and like 50 solid blocks for raising off the ground for $70.00, then 16 sheets of 3/8" plywood for the first layer of the surface, and covering the back of the ramp for $450.00. I've got like 300 bolts for bolting the shit out of each section to the next section $300

So far I've got around $2600.00, and I know I'm going to need another pallet of 2x4's, plus 12 more sheets of 3/8 ply wood for the first layer. That's another $800

Then finally, 24 sheets of 3/8 sanded ply for the second layer for $600

Basically, Its around $4300.00 you could prollly build one for less $, but I'm trying to build this one to last for 20 years

|

6/4/2013 4:27 PM

doug-b wrote:

Damn, I was trying not to keep track! The first trip to Home Depot I got 24 Sheets of 3/4" ply and a pallet of 2x2x8' PT, a couple super size buckets of screws and I think it was about $1900.00, then six yards of paver base for leveling out my yard for $180.00, and like 50 solid blocks for raising off the ground for $70.00, then 16 sheets of 3/8" plywood for the first layer of the surface, and covering the back of the ramp for $450.00. I've got like 300 bolts for bolting the shit out of each section to the next section $300

So far I've got around $2600.00, and I know I'm going to need another pallet of 2x4's, plus 12 more sheets of 3/8 ply wood for the first layer. That's another $800

Then finally, 24 sheets of 3/8 sanded ply for the second layer for $600

Basically, Its around $4300.00 you could prollly build one for less $, but I'm trying to build this one to last for 20 years

Post a pic of that shit when its done dude. Sounds like its gonne be beast

|

Refs: 360Xuprider, Hatebreeder, MrHavoc1988

Email: Shanebaker6969@yahoo.com

!!!My Bike Check!!!

6/27/2013 6:27 AM

I'm the dumbest mofugger ever!

While setting up the other end of the 8' half pipe, I couldn't help but to notice that the service lines to my house (power from the telephone pole) hangs down pretty low right across where the platform would have been. If I keep the half pipe at 8', then when you're on the platform the power wires will be at about chest height DOH!

My son said, "We'll just have to go around them" I said, "No, because those wires don't shock you, they kill you"

I was aware of the wires the whole time, I guess I just hoped they would pass over the ramp in the middle of the flat but that's not going to happen. The only possible way we can have a 16' wide ramp in our yard at all, is if we go with a 4'.

That suck really bad, but I guess a 4' ramp is better than no ramp.

|

6/27/2013 6:40 AM

rotate the ramp?

|

Bruh

6/28/2013 2:39 AM

Can't call the power company and tell them to run them a different way or something? If you're spending 5k on a serious ramp, chances are you'll build more in the future as well, so it might be a better idea anyways.

|

6/28/2013 5:36 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

rotate the ramp?

Can't rotate the ramp, on the North side there is 18" clearance from a fence, and the South side there is 24" clearance from my pool.

|