Building new ride | Seeking advice

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2009 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 9:11 PM

Greetings,

I'm getting back into riding heavily after 5 or so years of being lame and am looking to build me one of these fancy new light but strong 20 inchers. I built my current ride in about 2001-2002, best I can figure. It's a Kink Phantom Lord (Hansen sig frame) with 48 spoke Alex triple walls and one of the early Profile SS Cassette hubs - 13t with a solid axle since I destroyed their hollow aluminum crap. All in all it's a ~37 pound beast that tries to hurt me a lot. It's quite solid, though.

Anyhow, I'm a fairly big guy and I mainly want feedback regarding the strength and durability of the parts I'm planning to purchase. I'm 6'1", around 195 pounds, and I have 30 year old knees but I still go fairly big and ride pretty hard. Lately I mostly ride park but I love trails and street as well. I've bent a lot of wheels, blown a lot of spokes, and snapped a lot of cranks in my day.

Here's my list, along with some questions. Any feedback is appreciated. I've been out of the sport for a while and things have changed a lot since I was in the know.

Frame: Fit Lurch, 21.25"

-- Anything else American made that's comparable besides the S&M Dirtbike?

Fork: Fit Blade Lite

-- Think the Shiv or the Primo Strand would hold up for me? I do like to run pegs.

Bars: S&M Slam XLT

-- Fly Luna bars are light and cheap but are they strong? I prefer American-made.

Stem: Primo Aneyerlator

-- Really light but looks solid in the pictures. Think I'll slip my bars with it?

Cranks: Classic Profiles, might keep these from my old ride. Love em.

-- Anything new proven as strong but lighter? I killed some first-gen powerbites within a week.

Rims: Odyssey Hazard Lites, front and rear. 36 spoke.

-- I've been riding 48s for ever but it seems you can build some solid 36s these days. I'm curious what the strongest 36 rims are. Strong/high grade spoke recommendations would be great.

Rear Hub: I'm on the fence here. My old Profile SS Cassette has been great since I put the solid axle in it. The Mini SS is quite pricey and I've read some negative feedback on them so I'm not sure they're worth the money with so many cheaper options now. The Demolition one seems appealing for almost half the cost. How is the Hazard V3?

I'm also on the fence about gearing. I'd like to go 25/9 but small gears cause more tension on the chain and I'd like to avoid snapping chains when peddling my ass off. Are the chains built to handle it just fine? Any particular chain recommendations? Would I be lame if I rode a 30/11? haha (Currently running 36/13 and it's been great)

Front Hub: I think I'm going to go 3/8" here but am on the fence here as well, not sure if they'll hold up with a peg. It is usually my rear peg taking the blunt of the abuse though.

The We The People Supreme hub looks appealing to me. Any experiences? Shadow Raptor and Proper Magnalite are secondary choices I'm scoping at this point.

Chainwheel: Fit Down Low

-- Just want something light that can take some slams to the coping, any recommendations?

Headset: Stolen Integrated (Campy)

-- It's light and they all look about the same.

Seatpost: Primo 135mm ( I can't run it too super low with the old knees)

Seat: Odyssey Senior2 (looks comfy)

Brakes: Diatech Box

-- worth the money for Demolition Vulcans or the Fly ones?

Brake Lever: Colony Transformer

-- worth the money for the weight savings over an $18 Odyssey?

(currently run an old custom-bent Tech-77)

Also wondering what a linear brake cable is, does that just mean it's not 'barreled' (if you will) inside the housing, or what?

Well that's it. Apologies for the TL:DR book and all but I'm about to drop $1500 or so on this thing so I'm trying to make wise choices.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

edit: I already picked up some plastic Animal Hamilton pedals which I'm totally digging.

|

8/6/2009 4:05 PM

pretty good build. great rims are odyssey 7ka's (thats what i run)
Fit Down Low Sprocket also is great.
I would go with the S&M bars, i have odyssey lumberjacks they're also a good choice.
The Blade Lite Forks are great with pegs, go with those.
for a back hub i'd go with the we the people or the Shadow Rant V2. it's bombproof
The Primo stem will not slip, it's pretty good

|

8/6/2009 4:08 PM

i heart the gsport ribcage rims are like amazingly strong

|

another good crank choice is the odyssey twombolts

|

Ride for Fun Ride to get Away Ride to Ride Ride for Love Ride to Live Live to Ride

Toronto replay official: "What's that? Oh, a Flyer shot it? Just wait three minutes and call no goal due to inconclusive evidence."

Id go with a shadow attack stem, ive had mine for a year abd a half no problems, its worth the buy

|

8/6/2009 4:13 PM

well if your set on that frame cool............... bars- th s&m's are good look in to fits n kink's 2
rims the ody hazzards are great but might b overkill as a front rim look into a primo or a sun

hubs the v3 is good so is the shadow rant , we the people, or the primo... front hubs dont matter a whole lot

get an odessey headset other than tha the both those brakes or good 2

|

Out tha game

fork 4 sale odssey classic dirt

8/6/2009 4:14 PM

Hey i recently got a 3/8th thinking 14mm in the front was too much, I got the demolition bulmia and I love it

For the sprocket I would recommend the odyssey mds or any sprocket that is made out of alum 7005 or 7075

Check out these breaks, I don't have any experience with these breaks but they look really nice http://www.albes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2599
I had the fly break and loved them (went into the breakless thing)

Chain I would suggest the shadow half link or a good old KMC

I am not very into the american pride S&M/profile thing so I would get the luna bars.

For the hub I had a demolition cassette and it was mediocre, I was 130 pounds back then, so I would suggest something more reliable ( WTP or odyssey v3)
the primo balance 7005 are pretty popular and are strong ( 36 with good spokes will take some beating)

Forks: those are really light, personally i would run these but i'm pretty light and I do take risk, a sunday or some directors would be a very safe bet
Break lever: loved the odyssey lever don't understand why people are spending more on a lever....

Seat: senior2 is not that comfortable, my friend has it and I dont really like it that much, look for the premium or a macneil fat capital if you want something padded

Hope I was able to help you

|

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

8/6/2009 4:15 PM

oh and for coupons ( 10-20% off a big order is a lot)
type in emiprebmx.com or albes.com or danscomp.com
In retailmenot.com

|

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

8/6/2009 4:17 PM

For the back hub get a G-sport ratchet.

|

"I don't care if my dog can eat people, I'll fucking eat people."
"I dunno man, maybe it was a nickname from your bitch, I don't know
thought maybe you had like an albino penis, like the color of a ping-pong ball."

[LINK TO IMAGE]

8/6/2009 4:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the prompt feedback guys. Gotta love some active forums.

@Mr. Wilson: What other frame(s) would you suggest with similar/same geometry? $370 does seem like a lot for a frame..

So you guys think I'll be good with 25t chainwheel and a 9t driver? Am I being silly to consider a 30/11 due to fear of chain breakage?

Thanks again,
Doug

|

8/6/2009 4:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2009 4:30 PM

im 5'9" 160lbs and bent the shit out of the 3/8 hub wit i few slips on feebals if i were you id go 14 mil in the front

|

ref(s): evenwest94

8/6/2009 4:31 PM

25/9 should be fine if your too skeched out do 28/10 and buy the khe halflink

|

8/6/2009 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2009 4:32 PM

do an odyssey slic cable wen you throw the bars they still pull as good as if it was straight

|

8/6/2009 4:40 PM

kinkyfit7777 wrote:

25/9 should be fine if your too skeched out do 28/10 and buy the khe halflink

yeah get the ratchet and a 28t

|

"I don't care if my dog can eat people, I'll fucking eat people."
"I dunno man, maybe it was a nickname from your bitch, I don't know
thought maybe you had like an albino penis, like the color of a ping-pong ball."

[LINK TO IMAGE]

8/6/2009 4:56 PM

What do you guys think of the MacNeil cassette? The spoke protections seems like a good idea and it's on sale at Albe's for $100.

Thanks for the link to the brake sale, milou! Trying to figure out what else I can get from them to offset shipping costs a bit. I plan to get most the stuff through a local BMX-only shop here that matches normal online prices.

Really curious if you have/seen/know of issues with chains snapping on 9 tooth driver setups. I've just read that the small gears put more tension on the chains but for all i know the chains could be plenty up tohandlling it. I'd like to go 25/9 if it's solid. The smaller/lighter, the better, as far as i'm concerned, up until strength gets sacrificed.

Thanks!

|

8/6/2009 5:00 PM

Im 6'

frame: i was gonna get the same one
Fork: i like my sunday morning 2 alot i also hear good things about the shadow 26
bars: Mutiny glams or demolition pa
stem: kink relief for weight or animal for strength
cranks: those or fly
rims: alienation black sheep or proper
back hub: proper magnalite
front wheel: premium or shadow
chainwheel: the guarded one by mosh
headset: go canecreek
seatpost: shadow
seat: shadow or macneil
brakes: demolition
brake lever: ody small is the best

|

Ride Bikes

8/6/2009 5:03 PM

oh and other frames
fit hawk 2

|

Ride Bikes

8/7/2009 9:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 9:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I put my order in last night. I could use some tire enlightenment at this point. And let me know if anything is whack =)

I've still got some flexibility because they stock a lot of parts at the shop.

Frame: Fit Lurch - 20.25"

Bars: S&M Slam Bars XLT

Stem: Profile Push - 53mm

Headset: Odyssey (Campy)

Cranks: Profile - 180mm

Pedals: Animal Hamilton's

Chainring: Tree Lite - 28t (edit: not 22 lol)

Chain: Shadow Interlock 2

Rear Hub: G-Sport Ratchet Cassette - 10t Driver

Rear Rim: Odyssey Hazard Lite (Chrome)

Front Hub: G-Sport Marmoset

Front Rim: Sun Rhyno Lite XL

Spokes: Standard 14g --Still kinda want something special-strong here but no one says it's necessary.

Lever: Odyssey Monolever - Small

Cable: Odyssey Slic Linear

Seatpost: Primo Pivotal - 135mm --Might get a longer one and chop it, we'll see.

Seat: Animal Stitched

Tires - Curious what you guys recommend. I've typically run a dirt tire up front and street/park in the rear since I ride trails, street and park. I picked out:

Front Tire: Fly Ruben 20x2.25

-- Not very knobby for trails but I likely won't be riding any until rain season, anyhow. Running a Holy Roller on the current ride.

Rear: Oydssey Path 20x2.1

-- Looking at the Elm Street now and it looks nice. I used to run a Snafu Rimjob. Currently on a Maxxis Hookworm, which has been decent.

If only I could pick it up today!!

Cheers,

Doug

|

8/7/2009 9:30 AM

i have the brakes and lever for sale if you want them 50 for both

|

8/7/2009 9:41 AM

get s&m pitch forks. best forks ever. still waiting on my new ones tho sad

|

4 PEGS ALL DAY

8/7/2009 10:50 AM

phresh wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I put my order in last night. I could use some tire enlightenment at this point. And let me know if anything is whack =)

I've still got some flexibility because they stock a lot of parts at the shop.

Frame: Fit Lurch - 20.25"

Bars: S&M Slam Bars XLT

Stem: Profile Push - 53mm

Headset: Odyssey (Campy)

Cranks: Profile - 180mm

Pedals: Animal Hamilton's

Chainring: Tree Lite - 28t (edit: not 22 lol)

Chain: Shadow Interlock 2

Rear Hub: G-Sport Ratchet Cassette - 10t Driver

Rear Rim: Odyssey Hazard Lite (Chrome)

Front Hub: G-Sport Marmoset

Front Rim: Sun Rhyno Lite XL

Spokes: Standard 14g --Still kinda want something special-strong here but no one says it's necessary.

Lever: Odyssey Monolever - Small

Cable: Odyssey Slic Linear

Seatpost: Primo Pivotal - 135mm --Might get a longer one and chop it, we'll see.

Seat: Animal Stitched

Tires - Curious what you guys recommend. I've typically run a dirt tire up front and street/park in the rear since I ride trails, street and park. I picked out:

Front Tire: Fly Ruben 20x2.25

-- Not very knobby for trails but I likely won't be riding any until rain season, anyhow. Running a Holy Roller on the current ride.

Rear: Oydssey Path 20x2.1

-- Looking at the Elm Street now and it looks nice. I used to run a Snafu Rimjob. Currently on a Maxxis Hookworm, which has been decent.

If only I could pick it up today!!

Cheers,

Doug

the g-sport ratchet is a good choice

|

8/7/2009 5:56 PM

looks like a solid set up. put some pics up once its built up and dialed.

|

8/7/2009 7:03 PM

Will do, Kenealy.

@vincentebbert: Thanks man, but my local dude had them both in stock for about the same price you're asking so I already got them. He matched the Albe's sale that milou linked so I'm good to go.

Hopefully I'll get the frame, forks and bars on Monday and I'm planning to do some custom paint work on them. Have to wait until the following weekend for the rest of the parts to come in and get built sop that should work out nicely. Thanks for the vote of confidence, btw. I tried to do my homework and make good choices, hopefully she'll hold up to my thrashing.

Only things changed now with the build: going with DT Swiss spokes to be as safe as I can with the 36 spoke wheels. And I got some of the plastic G-Sport pegs. Not too confident in them but I'm curious enough to give them a try. Oh, and Animal Edwin grips.

Off to ride my local park with my sweet new ankle-saving Vans high-tops and the 37 pounder, lol!

Have fun!

|

8/11/2009 10:03 AM

Picked up the frame, forks and bars last night. Took a few pics before I removed the stickers and started getting artsy on it.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Catblur, lol.

|

8/11/2009 10:41 AM

what you mean artsy? i think those stickers dont look 2 bad but meh its ure bike

|

Biggest troll.

8/11/2009 11:18 AM

some great hubs that will hold up are the gsport marmoset for the front and ratchet for the back i run both of them and they hold up great
also for forks check out odyssey and sunday forks both hold up great and have a lifetime warranty
30-11 wouldnt be lame but you probably would get shit for it i get shit for running 30-10 sometimes

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

8/13/2009 8:53 AM

@glub: I'm just doing some ghetto paint work on it with paint pens. Saw some pretty cool sharpie work on white frames and got inspired. I used to do skateboard decks for people after doing a few of my own. Nothing too fancy, trying to keep it tasteful/simple. I'll put pics up when it's built.

@crazymaazy: I'm going with an Odyssey Monolever in small. I'm getting the Shadow Interlock V2 chain which is like all half-links so I should be able to dial it in proper. 28-10 is the plan. I still have some flexibility on the parts I go with since the shop I'm building it through has a lot of stuff in stock. I'm thinking the stem length will be good with the 21.25" frame, we'll see. I've almost always run longer frames and normal 53mm-ish stems.

@brentrides: Word, I've heard a lot of good about the G-Sport hubs. Looking forward to putting them to the test. I used to have the old Haro inward axle hubs that took a socket driver directly for the bolts. I always liked the inward axle design. 30-10 is pretty hardcore, lol. I went with the Fit Blade Lite forks, btw.

Cheers fellas, will put pics up when it's done.

|

8/13/2009 8:59 AM

jackoff wrote:

another good crank choice is the odyssey twombolts

twombolts snap

|

Refs:
Brenden1207
Element4all

6/5/2018 4:15 AM

A long shot but do you still have the Phantom Lord frame?? If so, I would like to talk to you about it! wink

|

Midschool Kink Phantom Lord frame wanted!

6/5/2018 4:33 AM

sycmatt wrote:

A long shot but do you still have the Phantom Lord frame?? If so, I would like to talk to you about it! wink

Surely, you already realize it but this thread is 9 years old. While I can't say for sure, as there may be a lurker, here & there... I can say that I have not seen a single person in this thread ever post anything. That said, please refrain from "grave digging" threads. We try to keep most recent threads at the top of the forum. By posting to a dead thread, it just creates confusion and revives a thread (generally) for no good reason.

|