Building trails

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2018 2:20 PM

A few of us are in the process of rebuilding our old trails. They haven't been consistently running, or maintained properly since 09, I haven't ridden them since 04.
Photo
This is the first. The right hand line has a big chunk of concrete in the rollers, hence they're there. Both lips step down into a 5' landing. The second is pretty racey, about 5' tall and maybe 10' long. Then a pump bump into the third (with the tarp on the landing) which is terrifying.... It's about a 6' real steep lip, step up to close to 8' into a real steep landing, about 10' long

Photo
This is from next to the third. The fourth is another racey one, about 4' tall, 12' long, then a hip to the right, about 5' step up to about 6'. About 6' at the shortest point, 12' at the longest

Photo
Landing of the 5th taking you into a downhill right hand berm.

Photo
This is the first one at the end of the berm, pretty racey, about 4', 8ish long? Then to a rollable double which is about 4' step up to 5', again about 8' tall. The one you can see some digging going on is going to be about 4' step up to 5'.only about 6' long, but a long fast landing. After that there's a couple of big one's. They're both heavily over grown, but are still standing from when they were first build in 02ish. I never rode them but iirc they're about 6' tall, 20' long.
I'll get better pics next time I'm there, side views and stuff. I'm also going to start a kiddies line to the left of these. The plan is they'll be fun and rollable. And will hopefully give enough speed to join onto the main line, with a nice step up onto the hip landing. I'm also hoping to grow some balls!

|

3/16/2018 2:23 PM

Derp. This is from the first lip after the berm
Photo

|

3/16/2018 2:43 PM

Awesome, my local trails were taken over by mountain bikers and are no longer rideable on a bmx sad when I'm working full time I'll probably get a mtb but until then there is nowhere else to build.

|

Hmmm

3/16/2018 2:48 PM

Damn, man! I'm so jealous; I can't go near mine until January for fear of rolling/breaking my ankle trying to get to them.

Keep the pics coming though, you're giving me ideas already! cool

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/16/2018 4:12 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Awesome, my local trails were taken over by mountain bikers and are no longer rideable on a bmx sad when I'm working full time I'll probably get a mtb but until then there is nowhere else to build.

Take em back!

|

3/16/2018 4:18 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Damn, man! I'm so jealous; I can't go near mine until January for fear of rolling/breaking my ankle trying to get to them.

Keep the pics coming though, you're giving me ideas already! cool

This place has got so much potential! There's a video on YouTube of a jam here in 07, they had jumps everywhere then (I'll link it tomorrow). Local dog walkers didn't like it. So now we're trying to leave a nice path on the left side. I'm hoping the first jump on the right doesn't work so I can take it down and build another line next to these. It's a bit weird, the 2 guys that are kind of in charge both have different views on how it should be. One has tried building here for the past couple of years, but they never worked and he doesn't really ride trails, but he's kind of claimed them as his, and wants everything massive. The other guy is pretty much trails only and wants them to flow really well. I haven't ridden trails for ages, but I know how to build so hopefully they'll listen to me a bit more with anything else that gets done :/

|

3/16/2018 4:40 PM

Edman123 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Take em back!

It really doesn't make sense to take them back since that's all the local mtb riders have is those jumps and a few trails around them and the bmx scene has a few skateparks a pump track and of course street.

|

Hmmm

3/16/2018 6:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

This place has got so much potential! There's a video on YouTube of a jam here in 07, they had jumps everywhere then (I'll link it tomorrow). Local dog walkers didn't like it. So now we're trying to leave a nice path on the left side. I'm hoping the first jump on the right doesn't work so I can take it down and build another line next to these. It's a bit weird, the 2 guys that are kind of in charge both have different views on how it should be. One has tried building here for the past couple of years, but they never worked and he doesn't really ride trails, but he's kind of claimed them as his, and wants everything massive. The other guy is pretty much trails only and wants them to flow really well. I haven't ridden trails for ages, but I know how to build so hopefully they'll listen to me a bit more with anything else that gets done :/

Pretty much any time you have 2 people deciding how a line will run, one will want everything huge and the other will want flow but somehow, it'll usually work out. A simple rule we figured out, to stop anything too ridiculous that had to torn down because nobody could ride it, is that whoever comes up with the idea for how the line will work is always the first one to ride it.

Looking forward to more! smile

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2018 1:17 AM

Edman123 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Take em back!

Lol Steve thats why I still havent sold my NS capital. Theres an under-the-bridge trail on the other side of town where Im at and its almost all dirt-jumpers, 1 or 2 trail BMX, and a few aluminum racing BMX bikes that the dirt jumper guys also own (they ride the racing bikes more often closer to the racing season). So its not really all taken over by mtbs, but more by BMX racers who think my bike is stupid and heavy (and the funny part is that theyre not wrong, but the better part is that I dont care lol).

|

3/17/2018 1:37 AM

Edman123 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Take em back!

thairishguy wrote:

Lol Steve thats why I still havent sold my NS capital. Theres an under-the-bridge trail on the other side of town where Im at and its almost all dirt-jumpers, 1 or 2 trail BMX, and a few aluminum racing BMX bikes that the dirt jumper guys also own (they ride the racing bikes more often closer to the racing season). So its not really all taken over by mtbs, but more by BMX racers who think my bike is stupid and heavy (and the funny part is that theyre not wrong, but the better part is that I dont care lol).

I bet if you helped dig they wouldn't care what bike you ride wink

|

3/17/2018 1:44 AM

07 jam
The guy in the black vest is Ben, he's rad, he's the guy that knows what he's doing rebuilding them.

There's holes everywhere now that we're going to fill in to make it look pretty. I was going to dig today, but it's snowing?!
|

3/17/2018 2:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Take em back!

thairishguy wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

I bet if you helped dig they wouldn't care what bike you ride wink

Being 2 weeks away from 30, Ive learned a few inherent rules.

No pour no skate.
No dig no ride.

At the old trails I helped transport the wheelbarrow between the guy digging and the boss shaping the jump.

The only people they mind are the downhill guys that bring their Maxxis High Roller 2s to the jumps.

|

3/17/2018 2:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2018 2:44 AM

Nice Steve! I sure miss the trails we had in the 80’s. There was a spot I’d be at almost on the daily over in Union City, CA call Red Devil. It would be pretty packed on some weekends. I remember old school racers Brent and Brian Patterson there quite a bit as well.

Haha found this clip. I guess Red Devil was alive still in 2006
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSw6wG-Pok

|

3/17/2018 7:07 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Nice Steve! I sure miss the trails we had in the 80’s. There was a spot I’d be at almost on the daily over in Union City, CA call Red Devil. It would be pretty packed on some weekends. I remember old school racers Brent and Brian Patterson there quite a bit as well.

Haha found this clip. I guess Red Devil was alive still in 2006
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSw6wG-Pok

Damn they look awesome! Unfortunately we don't have that much space here. They were pretty famous in the late 90's though

|

3/17/2018 10:23 AM

I haven't riden trails in some time, to be fare recently I haven't been able to ride much at all. The days down the trails were great away from everyone else, BBQs, riding and generally just having a laugh. There were three different trails close to where I use to live, all good with bigger and smaller lines. People always use to talk about the 'secret trails' I never did find out where they were but from pictures they looked absolutely massive dizzy good luck building them back up, they look like they'll be a lot of fun!

|

3/17/2018 6:34 PM

Man, makes me wanna build trails now, haha. Too bad I've got nowhere.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/17/2018 7:29 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I know the feels. The only places even good enough to build are either crawling with violent tweakers or too wide open to get away with building anything worth riding.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

3/17/2018 8:05 PM

GCBMX69 wrote:

I know the feels. The only places even good enough to build are either crawling with violent tweakers or too wide open to get away with building anything worth riding.

Where better to build a set of trails? Means nobody's going to go there and fuck with them. My little dirt spot is hidden away in a woods, in a spot you can only see if you're standing right beside it. The other side of that woods is a popular drinking spot/junkie den for some of the dodgiest people in the area. I leave them alone and they leave me and my spot alone but on the rare occasion that I have to deal with them, I'll treat them as I would anyone else, which I think has earned me a bit of respect.

I'd say, if you really want to build trails, bring someone else along just in case and if you have to deal with anyone you think is a bit dodgy, treat them as you would anyone else; they're usually just interested in what you're doing.

Unfortunately, it's looking like my spot will be torn down before I can get back there and ride it one last time, for a housing development, but it's been good while it's lasted and I'll probably just find another spot.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2018 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2018 8:16 PM

readybmxer wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Where better to build a set of trails? Means nobody's going to go there and fuck with them. My little dirt spot is hidden away in a woods, in a spot you can only see if you're standing right beside it. The other side of that woods is a popular drinking spot/junkie den for some of the dodgiest people in the area. I leave them alone and they leave me and my spot alone but on the rare occasion that I have to deal with them, I'll treat them as I would anyone else, which I think has earned me a bit of respect.

I'd say, if you really want to build trails, bring someone else along just in case and if you have to deal with anyone you think is a bit dodgy, treat them as you would anyone else; they're usually just interested in what you're doing.

Unfortunately, it's looking like my spot will be torn down before I can get back there and ride it one last time, for a housing development, but it's been good while it's lasted and I'll probably just find another spot.

It would sound ideal except the fact that they'll literally shoot makeshift arrows/throw shit at you if you're anywhere near their "territory" it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so good at hiding. Fucking snipers they are grin

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

3/19/2018 3:08 AM

This is great to see, trails are so good. I'm sure you'll have this firing perfectly in time for the summer and spend whole days down there.

My local trails are massive, but unmaintained and with having kids I can't really go down and spend the day sorting them. I'm hoping some of the old locals get back on it and I will help them out when I can, because I want to be riding them this summer.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/19/2018 9:27 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

This is great to see, trails are so good. I'm sure you'll have this firing perfectly in time for the summer and spend whole days down there.

My local trails are massive, but unmaintained and with having kids I can't really go down and spend the day sorting them. I'm hoping some of the old locals get back on it and I will help them out when I can, because I want to be riding them this summer.

We're hoping to have them running over Easter. But I've still not started the kiddies line. The crazy guy that wants them massive is the only person digging for the past few days so I'm a bit concerned how silly they'll get!
Next time I've got a day free I think I'm going to ride instead of dig though haha, need to get a feel for the new frame. It's not drastically different from my old one though

|

3/20/2018 10:58 AM

don't forget the cooler of beer, absolutely vital for trail sessions

|

It’s all bmx

3/20/2018 11:58 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Nah, I don't drink, and nor does Ben (the site manager). The other guy digging deals weed though and keeps telling people to meet him there, I'd like to put a stop to that before the 2 things become associated. Flasks of coffee are always on hand

|

3/21/2018 7:20 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Nah, I don't drink, and nor does Ben (the site manager). The other guy digging deals weed though and keeps telling people to meet him there, I'd like to put a stop to that before the 2 things become associated. Flasks of coffee are always on hand

Espresso machine and a generator? Will that satisfy you? Lol.

Lol the guy dealing weed. I use to have my guy deliver to the skatepark. At first he was paranoid about it because of the association, but once he saw how it was he was fine. At least hes not dumb enough to post up shop there.

But lets not argue about coffee. When some well-traveled kook tries to tell you thay the best coffee in the world is the monkey shit coffee.......ummmm yeah heroin is the best high they say, but I’m not touching that garbage.

|