Bunny Hops Cause Bad Wrist Pain

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2013 2:38 PM

Ever since I started learning bunny hops (about a month ago) they have hurt my wrists, and its not from landing them, its from pulling up on the bars really hard to get the front up and then pulling up and forward to level it out. It stretches my tendons out. Every time I practice them intensely I need to wait a couple days for either my right or left wrist to heal cuz it hurts really bad, like i have trouble rotating my wrist to even open a door. The pain is always at the bony part of the wrist where the bone is like sticking out. Last time I was practicing them I was going over 2x4's starting with one and building up to like 7, its a really good method btw, it was the highest I ever bunny hopped and I had to pull up realllly hard (hardest i ever did) to make it over. I was fine till i got home and then i realized that i really screwed up my wrist bad, i couldnt do anything with my arm, the slightest movement brought unbearable pain and i could feel the tendon hurting from where the bone sticks out on the wrist all the way up my arm. It took days to use my wrist even a little bit. I know that wrist pain in BMXing is common but i dont think that having it as bad as i did is.. so now my question is, when doing a bunny hop do you use your body weight only to pull the front up or do you also use your arms first to push up and then extend them and pull the bike up really hard, which is what i do. Tell me the technique/sequence of events you use to bunny hop. Has anyone ever had wrist problems from pulling up?

|

12/7/2013 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2013 2:43 PM

this is completely normal , all my friends started bunny hops at the same time and for a good month and a half we would get wrist pains , your wrist just need to adjust and strengthen , it should go away in no time
EDIT : if this keep up id suggest buying bars with more upsweep

|

12/7/2013 2:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2013 2:53 PM

I had a wrist injury couple of years ago (I fell off the stairs) and whenever I'm riding I can feel the pain after a few hops
what I'm trying to do is to get a dumbbell when I'm watching a movie or taking shit and exercise my wrist to strengthen it up
it's easy fool, just exercise your wrists and wear a neoprene bandage to keep your shit tight
I can honestly say I can feel the difference when I'm wearing one

I forgot to ask if you had any injuries that you know or don't know about
because my left wrist was always good, before and after bmx practicing, and after right wrist injury I didn't have any problems until I started riding bmx

|

12/7/2013 3:08 PM

Nope i never had any wrist injuries, both my right and my left wrists got hurt from time to time but last time i rode is when i screwed up my right wrist the worst, i couldn't even raise my arm without it hurting like hell. It still hurts after a whole week and i cant fully rotate it yet.

|

12/7/2013 3:24 PM

Have you tried running a little less psi in your tires? Also try to adjust your technique so your back wheel comes down a little before the front when landing.
Wouldn't worry about it too much tho as your just starting out, happens to a lot people.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12


12/7/2013 3:41 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Have you tried running a little less psi in your tires? Also try to adjust your technique so your back wheel comes down a little before the front when landing.
Wouldn't worry about it too much tho as your just starting out, happens to a lot people.

my psi is actually pretty low for bmx, its about 40 on both tires, my wrist pain isnt caused by landing the bunny hops tho, its from pulling up the front while doing them. I know cuz the pain happens when i pull up hard, it pulls my tendons. I think i may be pulling too hard? Are your arms supposed to be relaxed when pulling the front end up and you just use your weight... or are you supposed to tense your muscles and pull really hard?

|

12/7/2013 4:01 PM

layplayday wrote:

my psi is actually pretty low for bmx, its about 40 on both tires, my wrist pain isnt caused by landing the bunny hops tho, its from pulling up the front while doing them. I know cuz the pain happens when i pull up hard, it pulls my tendons. I think i may be pulling too hard? Are your arms supposed to be relaxed when pulling the front end up and you just use your weight... or are you supposed to tense your muscles and pull really hard?

bunny hops should be like 40% leaning back and 60 % pulling with arms , matbe when u hop try using more of leaning back to elevate the front end of the bike

|

12/7/2013 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2013 4:09 PM

Yeah sounds like you might be using too much upper body to get the front end up.

Its all one fluid movement but a lot of getting a higher hop is in the legs, try shifting your weight back to get the front end up (like when you manual) scoop up your pedals and push out with your arms.

Watch some how tos on youtube, maybe film yourself trying to hop to see where you can improve your technique.

Take it easy for a few days tho, to let your wrists heal...painkillers will help

Good luck hope this helps.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12


12/7/2013 5:27 PM

don't ride 100psi tires

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/7/2013 5:37 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

don't ride 100psi tires

Wrong.......ride faster

|

12/7/2013 5:55 PM

alright thanks guys, I think that's the problem, the way I did them was I leaned over my bike and then pushed up hard with my arms and yanked the bars back, using arms instead of weight to get the front up, so it makes sense why i kept messing up my wrists..

|

12/7/2013 7:09 PM

Ummm. Thats kinda weird.

If you do drops and shit , that's understandable. But even when I drop off loading docks ,you just land back wheel first and you almost feel nothing in your wrists. But if you land double-tire , it doesnt hurt that bad .

Your wrists must be really out of shape or just messed up. Doing bunnyhops flat SHOULD NOT hurt them. Unless you land off balance , and the impact focuses on a certain wrist / certain part of that wrist , then that would hurt. As I've said , the only way I'd see you getting hurt is landing completely wrong , or having wrist issues. I've hopped down 9 sets to flat and that MIGHT ache a bit. I'd get that checked out if I were you.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/7/2013 8:01 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Ummm. Thats kinda weird.

If you do drops and shit , that's understandable. But even when I drop off loading docks ,you just land back wheel first and you almost feel nothing in your wrists. But if you land double-tire , it doesnt hurt that bad .

Your wrists must be really out of shape or just messed up. Doing bunnyhops flat SHOULD NOT hurt them. Unless you land off balance , and the impact focuses on a certain wrist / certain part of that wrist , then that would hurt. As I've said , the only way I'd see you getting hurt is landing completely wrong , or having wrist issues. I've hopped down 9 sets to flat and that MIGHT ache a bit. I'd get that checked out if I were you.

Like i said most of the problems with my wrists are from pulling the bike up which stretches the tendons not from landing, landing isn't really a problem for me. That's why Im worried cuz most people have problems from landing and i seem to have it from pulling which is weird and i cant find anyone who has the same problem

|

12/8/2013 9:18 PM

Do you have a proper size frame/bars? I had the same issue with one of my wrists til I got onto a larger set up.

|

12/11/2013 11:00 AM

Shermdogg wrote:

Do you have a proper size frame/bars? I had the same issue with one of my wrists til I got onto a larger set up.

My top tube is 20.5, the bike is a 2009 Fit Street 3, the handlebars are the ones that came with the bike. What handle bars would to recommend? I read that having backsweep and upsweep helps with wrist pain, do I need to buy new handle bars or can the current ones be modefied to have back/upsweep. Sorry I'm a noob..

|

12/11/2013 11:18 AM

Does pulling up bars take that much effort?

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

12/12/2013 1:29 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Does pulling up bars take that much effort?

For me it does, im just a beginner tho, is it supposed to be effortless?

|

12/12/2013 1:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2013 1:45 PM

that's just it then.. you're a beginner. When I first started, there we're many days of wrist pain. But after a few months of nothing but riding I got used to it. Whenever you put your body through new types of stress you'll get sore for a while. But eventually you'll adapt to the stress and it won't affect you as much or at all. You've got to break your body into it.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

12/12/2013 6:26 PM

I've seen kids with your same issue here. The ones that seemed to suffer this the most, were on more of the skinnier side. Not very strong. I'd recommend just doing upper body workouts on occasions or just in the morning when you wake up and later in the day. Think of some sort of work out though. Do it daily. You'll get stronger. If you bike between doing these daily work outs you'll become stronger for sure. This is a serious answer, strength does have an effect on how one rides their bicycle.

|

-Reps: JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike(X2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all
-I have more reps from my old account.
(My old account is 'bmx')

12/12/2013 9:00 PM

BMXism wrote:

that's just it then.. you're a beginner. When I first started, there we're many days of wrist pain. But after a few months of nothing but riding I got used to it. Whenever you put your body through new types of stress you'll get sore for a while. But eventually you'll adapt to the stress and it won't affect you as much or at all. You've got to break your body into it.

were*

We're = We are

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/12/2013 9:03 PM

Photo
|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting