Bunny hop feedback requested - with video

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2019 9:17 AM

I seem to be maxing out right at 32" but I feel like I could get even higher. I would love a 40" hop but I'll settle for 36" for now.

Anyways, here's 2 videos of me jumping over a 33" cone that I measured. Yeah I don't totally clear it but I still think Im good for a 30"+ hop

Any advice for me? Looking at my videos I seem to be pulling my handlebars up into my body but not pushing them forward. I've tried to consciously work on that but it just feels awkward. Should I be focusing on pulling my front wheel up higher before I get off the ground?

Any feedback welcomed
|

7/8/2019 9:32 AM

Id say your hips could get farther back on the pull allowing you to yoke the bike up taller leading to you hopping higher.

When i try to emphasis that myself, it feels kinda like i'm manualing into a bunny hop.

|

7/8/2019 9:34 AM

Just had a quick look at your video, you seem to be leaning forward a bit much. If you watch a video of someone hopping high, they’re almost standing straight up at the point the back wheel is just leaving the ground.

|

7/8/2019 10:00 AM

Ok yes I definitely see what you two are talking about. My torso never really straightens out and that's definitely gonna limit the air I can get. Looks like that's keeping me from pulling my front wheel up high too.

Cheers for the advice, I'll go and work on that

|

7/8/2019 11:02 AM

Pogo stick effect. It looks like you’re not really jumping as much as you could. Suck that back wheel up, and push forward, get those arms straight

|

7/8/2019 3:41 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Pogo stick effect. It looks like you’re not really jumping as much as you could. Suck that back wheel up, and push forward, get those arms straight

I searched for it but can't visualize what it is in relation to bmx laughing

So what is it? (the pogo stick effect I mean)

|

7/9/2019 12:48 AM

If you’ve ever jumped on a pogo stick, you compress, then jump as the pogo stick reaches its full extension. It’s the same with hopping. You don’t just lift the bike up toward you when you’re at your highest point, you jump and suck the bike up with you. Imagine your knees are the spring, and when the bike is close to vertical, it’s the pogo stick. You jump and lift the bike with you instead of just lifting the bike

|

7/9/2019 3:41 AM

.pegless. wrote:

If you’ve ever jumped on a pogo stick, you compress, then jump as the pogo stick reaches its full extension. It’s the same with hopping. You don’t just lift the bike up toward you when you’re at your highest point, you jump and suck the bike up with you. Imagine your knees are the spring, and when the bike is close to vertical, it’s the pogo stick. You jump and lift the bike with you instead of just lifting the bike

Got it!

Yep, that's what I've been doing all this time laughing

|

7/9/2019 7:59 AM

Also the awesome trick from the 80s where you stand on your back pegs and hop on your back tire

|

7/12/2019 1:34 PM

You got a high hop! Keep at it!

|