Bunny hop height

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2017 5:31 PM

Hey guys, im new to bmx, got my bike a few days ago and instantly started trying to hop. But i cant hop higher than the video i attached, if i try to pull harder i loop out. I just want to know if theres any tip you can personally give me, or if i just need to keep practising. Also my bike is cheap heavy and old.
Thanks in advance.heres the video

|

2/21/2017 5:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 5:55 PM

That's a pretty good height already, just keep trying. The higher the front end goes, the higher you'll hop. Considering how well you can already hop, it's only a matter of time and practice before you get to wheel height and from there, probably bar height.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/21/2017 6:10 PM

Dang that's better than I can do lol

|

2/21/2017 6:23 PM

Firebrand wrote:

Dang that's better than I can do lol

Practice and patience is all, some people figure out their technique almost immediately whereas others can take a bit longer.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/21/2017 11:39 PM

If you're looping out, don't lean back. You need to lift the front end but keep your weight central. Then as you hop, shift your weight forward a touch

|

2/22/2017 3:56 AM

You need to bend your knees after you pull up the front end. Reason you're looping out is when you are keeping your legs straight, they are essentially pushing the back end down and forward. Bend your knees and you're good to go

|

2/22/2017 6:20 AM

Personally I can hop higher when aiming to hop over or up something. Pull the front end up as high as you can and then bend your knees more and straighten your arms.. If you find that your not progressing then try working out your back and arm muscles. Also a lighter front end will help you get the front up better, light back end will help you lift the back higher so maybe buy lighter parts. Try getting a milk crate and hop over it, best thing for beginners. Also plenty of practice!!!! But focus on lifting that back end up once the front is up. Remember bent knees straight arms!

|

2/22/2017 9:12 AM

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback, ill try to bend my knees more, which i assumed was my problem. Also my bike is really, really heavy, im gonna weight it later.
Thanks to everyone, you,ve helped me alot.

|

2/22/2017 10:43 AM

Practice and more speed

|

2/24/2017 1:26 PM

WeTheCodaxBMX wrote:

Personally I can hop higher when aiming to hop over or up something. Pull the front end up as high as you can and then bend ...more

This!

It's your instincts kicking in!

Trying to jump over an imaginary line and you'll be meh!
But try going with high speed into a tall curb or set of stairs ... you know you must make it! and usually you do smile)

|

2/24/2017 2:54 PM

What everyone else said. Every time you ride you should practice bunnyhopping. I've been riding about 2 years and I can bunnyhop 2 and a half feet. Just keep at it

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/24/2017 3:05 PM

Weight of the bike has nothing to do with it. I learned bunny hops 20 years ago on a 40lb bike. Just keep practicing

|

2/24/2017 5:45 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Weight of the bike has nothing to do with it. I learned bunny hops 20 years ago on a 40lb bike. Just keep practicing

Exactly! I learned to hop on a junker built of any old parts my friends had. Weighed in at 32lbs originally. After only a few weeks of riding(maybe 2 or 3), I could hop over a 26" wheel. I learn just about everything hop(no flyouts near me) and because of it my hop has significantly improved since then. I can hop bar height every time and have on occasion gone higher. My bike is now substantially lighter and it hasn't really affected anything other than being a little easier to spin and a little easier to come off the bike(it goes from under you a lot easier).

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2017 3:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2017 3:35 AM

better than mine.. grin

|

Land it or go home

2/27/2017 8:52 AM

Thanks guys for all your help, i recently found out the real problem, im riding a 16.5" TT frame. Ima try to get some money and build a real bike.

|