Bunny hopping higher

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2017 1:48 PM

I can bunny hop around a foot to a foot and a half. I lean back when I pull up and then push my weight forward both bars to my waist while raising the back end but it isn't that high. I think it's partly because I can't seem to push the bars forward like many say to do. I just hit the ground before I can. Any tips?

|

An Indian on a small bike

4/8/2017 2:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2017 2:23 PM

Just keep trying man, go on YouTube checkout different techniques and keep trying. This video is really good not sure if you've seen it already but check it out. Video Here and hopefully you get some good replies in here (if not look at older threads with a lot of replies)

|

4/8/2017 2:39 PM

Smaller bars help a lot.

|

4/8/2017 4:08 PM

what age are you? it can have something to do with it, being an adult with a bit more leg and arm muscle overall helps you, but its largely down to timing and technique, body and wrist position etc, if you don't have that right first then you could be built like Rambo and your still only gonna go a foot high

to start with

then

|

4/8/2017 5:10 PM

I've seen kids half my age and size hop bar height, it's nothing to do with either. It's entirely technique...

To quote an old post of mine:

A hop can be divided into 3 or 4 parts, the preload, the pull up, the tuck and the landing.

The preload is where you bend down a little closer to your bars to get that little bit extra force into the hop.

The pull up is self-explanatory, the higher you get the front wheel, the higher you'll go. Just don't pull up so hard that you end up pencilling and looping out.

The tuck is just pulling the backend up but it's also where a lot of people freeze up, pencil and loop out. It's the easiest part to mess up.

The landing, again self-explanatory but when you land you want to land smooth and absorb the impact through your knees.

The easiest way to improve your hops is to hop onto/over stuff. I found that setting goals helped a lot. When I first started riding, I set a goal of hopping onto a 45 inch ledge near my house within a year. I really pushed myself and got it in 8 months. Don't try anything you know you won't get but work up to a goal and you should be hopping well over bar height in no time.
|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2017 5:15 PM

Yea I didn't realize how hard and high you need to rip those bars up, before I was just pulling up and trying to kick my back end up and was getting like a foot but now that I approach it as a two part move and really pull the bars up the kick kinda just comes and will lift as high as the bars. It's wierd but you'll click with it.

|

4/9/2017 2:47 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I've seen kids half my age and size hop bar height, it's nothing to do with either. It's entirely technique...

To quote an ...more

I feel like I just need to pull up harder and tuck in more, will keep trying

|

4/9/2017 2:47 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Yea I didn't realize how hard and high you need to rip those bars up, before I was just pulling up and trying to kick my back ...more

I think that's it yeh

|

4/9/2017 2:48 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

what age are you? it can have something to do with it, being an adult with a bit more leg and arm muscle overall helps you, ...more

I feel like I just need to try a bit more. Also need to rest my arms a bit. They kill haha

|

4/9/2017 3:34 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

Just keep trying man. Don't try to force it, it'll come in time. Find something just a little higher than what you're comfortable with and hop onto it. Even just stack some bits of wood or something and hop over them. If you have pegs, start grinding any higher ledges you come across. That works really well because you think you're hopping higher than you actually are when you're only grinding whatever the ledge height is minus 10 inches so it'll get your confidence up.

Just start hopping up/over/into things just a little outside your comfort zone.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2017 10:32 PM

Post a video of yourself. It's the best way to tell you on what to focus.

|

4/11/2017 9:56 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

To quote an ...more

Ved_goswami wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Just keep trying man. Don't try to force it, it'll come in time. Find something just a little higher than what you're ...more

Sounds good. Thanks dude

|

4/11/2017 9:58 AM

niconj wrote:

I'll try to upload one

|

4/11/2017 3:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2017 3:04 PM

I have no clue how to upload videos. How do you?

|

4/11/2017 3:17 PM

niconj wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

I'll try to upload one

trying again lol. Here.

|

4/11/2017 5:56 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

trying again lol. Here.

You're only starting to tuck as you drop and you're way too far forward on the bike. At the peak of your hop, you're pretty much in position for a tuck-no(you're leaning over the bars a lot). It looks good at the start and then you lean forward and lose about half of the hop you could get. Stay leaned back and start the tuck just before you hit your peak.

It does look okay though, just keep trying and you should have wheel height within a week or so. Hopping over, onto and into stuff is the best and quickest way to learn.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/11/2017 7:56 PM

You you need to kick your back end up like your doing a jumping high five. Your pull up is good but you need to learn back and scoop up with your toes on the pedals ...did that make sense?

|

4/12/2017 6:24 PM

honestly, i hear a lot of people saying they push forward on the bars, and while thats a good way to learn it can really limit your hop height. i kinda try to keep pulling up while I'm in the air, cause b best case scenario i can leverage myself higher and worse case scenario i can se the back wheel down easier if something gets fucky

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/12/2017 11:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2017 11:09 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

honestly, i hear a lot of people saying they push forward on the bars, and while thats a good way to learn it can really limit ...more

I never let my front wheel down, don't even know how to. :D

At 0:36

|

4/13/2017 1:04 AM

Photo
Try making your legs fully extend only by time your bars are at your leg. That first part is the most difficult in my opinion. You're not going to be trying to pull the bike up so much as you are pushing off the ground.Dont worry about tucking. If you have a good jump, the tuck will come easily

Photo cool
|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

4/14/2017 8:47 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. Will try all the tips and hopefully get it dialled haha

|