Buying 2nd hand, is this a problem? With Pics

Related:
Create New Tag

1/4/2015 7:41 AM

Hello from Belgium smile

I'm new to bmx and looking for my first bike. After some research about specs, I found that I wanted a Felt Mystic.
Below you can find some pictures of the second hand bike I have in mind. You can see that there are some traces of usage on the bike.

What do you think when looking at these pictures?
What do you recommend?
What do you think it is worth?

The owner says that this bike was not used a lot and that it was always kept dry in a garage.
Thanks in advance smile

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/4/2015 9:56 AM

I think we would really help if we knew some specs or the specs u were looking at.....But im a noob so yeah

|

1/4/2015 10:09 AM

BMXNOOB69 wrote:

I think we would really help if we knew some specs or the specs u were looking at.....But im a noob so yeah

Well, as a matter of fact, the specs of this bike are not the topic of this thread.

What I meant, was that I need someone to tell me how this bike looks. Based on the pictures, can you say:
"whoa, that bike looks like trash, I wouldn't buy it second hand"
"That bike is fine, my bike looks a lot worse and I take care of it"
"All bmx's that are used look like that, you might want to replace ... though"

I already know that this bike (FELT Mystic) has the specs I want, but I would like to know whether this specific bike is worth buying.
Just wouldn't want to pay a lot for a piece of crap...

How does your bike look? does it have the same 'damage'??

|

1/4/2015 10:15 AM

Definitely a good looking second hand bike. I'd buy it

|

1/4/2015 10:21 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

Definitely a good looking second hand bike. I'd buy it

smile I didn't expect such an enthusiastic positive answer!

I was afraid that the rusty spots on the steering bar or at the BB could be a problem.
|

1/4/2015 10:23 AM

thebigmike wrote: smile I didn't expect such an enthusiastic positive answer!

I was afraid that the rusty spots on the steering bar or at the BB could be a problem.

They shouldn't its only surface rust so you should be fine. If it really bothers you you could sand the rust off

|

1/4/2015 10:24 AM

depends on how much it is
just expect things to break

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

1/4/2015 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2015 10:31 AM

MidWestBMX wrote:

depends on how much it is
just expect things to break

he's asking €250, but I'll try to snoop some off. it costs €400 new

What's the first thing you expect to break? smile

|

1/4/2015 11:49 AM

For that price it's a rip-off. You can find way better completes for the same price.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

1/4/2015 11:54 AM

Probably worth maybe $100

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

1/4/2015 1:51 PM

andyferly wrote:

For that price it's a rip-off. You can find way better completes for the same price.

This. While it does look to be in good condition, it is a bit older of a bike. You can definitely get something newer for a similar price. My #1 tip for buying a complete is if you cant afford the 2015 Kink Whip then get a Mongoose Mode 900.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/4/2015 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2015 2:27 PM

Thank you for the advice. This is what I wanted wink

However, here in Belgium I can't seem to find a decent bike that costs less than the €250 he's asking...

|

1/4/2015 2:52 PM

andyferly wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This. While it does look to be in good condition, it is a bit older of a bike. You can definitely get something newer for a similar price. My #1 tip for buying a complete is if you cant afford the 2015 Kink Whip then get a Mongoose Mode 900.

I don't know exactly how old it is, forgot to ask, but I assume it's maximum 3 years old.

Can you explain me why I should buy a newer bike for the same money that most probably doesn't have the same level of specs as a Felt Mystic?

My real question: Does the age of a bike really has such an influence with bikes of this quality? I'm serious, I want to know: how long does a bike last with you guys? I know that parts have to be replaced over time, but in all: you could be keeping the same bike for decades... No?....

|

1/4/2015 4:05 PM

thebigmike wrote:

I don't know exactly how old it is, forgot to ask, but I assume it's maximum 3 years old.

Can you explain me why I should buy a newer bike for the same money that most probably doesn't have the same level of specs as a Felt Mystic?

My real question: Does the age of a bike really has such an influence with bikes of this quality? I'm serious, I want to know: how long does a bike last with you guys? I know that parts have to be replaced over time, but in all: you could be keeping the same bike for decades... No?....

Newer parts are generally stronger and lighter, and if you buy a bike brand new you don't have to worry about improperly installed or potentially weakened parts

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim