Buying the right bike

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2017 9:14 PM

I'm looking to buy my first bmx bike, I have a mountain bike that I have been trying to ride dirt jumps with, mind you it is not a dirt jumper, and I have been looking to find a bmx for that purpose because dirt jumpers are much more expensive and less versatile. I have done quite a bit of research and everyone says to buy a bike for your riding style, but I can't find any bikes that say they would be good for that purpose. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should be looking for please let me know.

|

8/5/2017 9:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2017 7:11 AM

Well, what sort of experience do you have? How old are you? How tall? weight? There are a lot of factors in your ultimate decision & in how we respond. A bmx bike is a completely different beast than an MTB (trust me, I know). That said, if you are used to MTB 18" or 19" bike, it's a completely different bike than a bmx 20" bike. A bmx is smaller but, generally, much more maneuverable version of your mountain bike. Like I said, it's a different beast. The whole riding style is completely different.

All that being said, if you want to ride bmx & trails, I would suggest a full 4130 CroMo frame, fork, bars, & cranks. Answer a few of the above questions at the beginning of this post, & we might be about to help you further.

|

8/5/2017 10:35 PM

what they mean bty bmx styled to your riding is the geometry such as stem reach, bar angle, fork offset, frame geometry, etc. it's more an acquired taste. whatever you buy will be more so your 'base' or common ground. like my first bike was based on a high bottom bracket, and longer back end. anytime i ride the opposite (short back end & long bb) it feels super sketchy to me personally. whereas i've seen people hit huge trails on frames with the very setups. it's all preference, and you'll get a taste for what you like as you start going through parts. i found i like very mellow geometry mainly for just airing and a burly style. but my buddy who rides super tech has a very very different setup than i do.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/5/2017 10:36 PM

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/6/2017 12:46 AM

Look at the fit trl

|

Ride till you die

8/6/2017 5:17 AM

Generally, longer toptube, longer chainstays, mellower headangle and lower bottom bracket will make a bike more stable and is what you want to look for when wanting a bike specifically for trails. Personal preference is very important so we can only give you an idea of what you might like. Also, if you're coming from mtb, the added stability of a longer more stable bike will be a better transition and you'd probably feel more comfortable using it as an all rounder.

Bmx definitely isn't cheaper than a jump bike. But they're definitely more versatile. I rode 24" Street mtb and wish I never bothered ploughing money into it as it was never as nice as riding a bmx (super short geometry to try to make it feel more like a bmx, but completely sacrificing room up front or a decent chainline)

|

8/6/2017 7:19 AM

It really depends on how much you want to spend too.

|

8/6/2017 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2017 3:51 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, what sort of experience do you have? How old are you? How tall? weight? There are a lot of factors in your ultimate ...more

I have been riding mtb for about a year,started on a 26" wheel now on 27.5", I am 5' 8", and about 130 lbs. I am 15 so I might still grow some. Hoping to spend less than $500, but if its really worth it I might spend more. Also I have tried to ride my friends Sapient Saga Pro, a 20.5" top tube and it seems quite small. Hope these details help.

|

8/6/2017 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2017 7:51 PM

Sparravex wrote:

I have been riding mtb for about a year,started on a 26" wheel now on 27.5", I am 5' 8", and about 130 lbs. I am 15 so I might ...more

Well, all bmx bikes are going to seem "small" by comparison to mtb's. There are plenty of very good completed out there for $500 or less. I just picked up an eastern shovelhead (full Chromo frame, fork, bars, cranks. Sealed everything double wall rims, etc... ) for $399 delivered. One of the best deals going, imho.I also saw a 2017 We The People Crysis go for $450 (+ 50 shipping) on eBay today that was a sweet ride. No matter what you decide to get, it's gonna feel small & awkward until you get used to the size & geometry. Plus, you can't think about "sitting" on a seat on a bmx the way you did on the MTB. That's generally not done. For the most part a bmx seat these days is for when you are stopped or maybe as a handle during tricks. Other than that, it isn't used.

|

8/6/2017 8:13 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, what sort of experience do you have? How old are you? How tall? weight? There are a lot of factors in your ultimate ...more

Sparravex wrote:

I have been riding mtb for about a year,started on a 26" wheel now on 27.5", I am 5' 8", and about 130 lbs. I am 15 so I might ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, all bmx bikes are going to seem "small" by comparison to mtb's. There are plenty of very good completed out there for ...more

Thanks for your help so far. I am looking into the Kink Gap XL, which seems like it will be a good fit and has similar specs to the WTP Crysis you were talking about. Let me know your thoughts, but I think from now its just finding the bike that fits me.

|

8/6/2017 8:14 PM

20.75 should be fine for your height, even 21", but 20.5 isn't too small either. Just get whatever your comfortable on. I'd look for a used custom. If your patient you can find a $1500 bike that's in good condition for less than $500. Just do some research and take your time.

|

8/6/2017 9:10 PM

There are better bikes than the Kink Gap XL. That bike isn't a full Chromo frame. Just the head tube, top tube & down tube. Whatever you get, make sure it's a full Chromo frame, fork, handlebars, cranks.

|