Bye bye Nike

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2018 3:19 PM

A step in the right direction I guess but it sucks that now some riders aren't getting paid.
What do you think?

Right or wrong direction

View Results

|

Hmmm

6/1/2018 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 3:35 PM

Nike still sponsored riders but stopped their bmx shoe line in like 2012.

The 6.0s I had were good and had nice grip and padding. Bmx really has no good shoe companies left tbh.

Edit: I also try to avoid the corporate shoe companies like adidas, converse, nike etc. Even vans is meh imo

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/1/2018 3:39 PM

Felix Prangenburg off , so is Kris’s Kyle and Simone ... also I snagged this picture from comments before it got deleted , BMX Union made a post saying Nike is done with their European BMX Program, but it was deleted when I clicked the link .

Photo

If Nike actually did drop BMX , I’ll be legitimately done with any Nike products . I know a very small percentage of what they make off shoes alone as my previous job was selling them , literally one hour of global shoe sales is multiple millions in income . There is no excuse to not be able to afford to pay riders . Also , Nike is a “sport” image base brand ... wouldn’t make sense to drop biking .

This is why in all shoe forums , I recommend Vans . They’re holding it down for skating and BMX . I’ll always be riding in Vans , they’re legit as fuck . Shoes are amazing too , it feels good knowing my money I spend on good shoes gets used to potentially help fund a BMX trip / filmer / someone’s plane ticket . I’m cool with that !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/1/2018 3:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 3:46 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Felix Prangenburg off , so is Kris’s Kyle and Simone ... also I snagged this picture from comments before it got deleted , BMX Union made a post saying Nike is done with their European BMX Program, but it was deleted when I clicked the link .

Photo

If Nike actually did drop BMX , I’ll be legitimately done with any Nike products . I know a very small percentage of what they make off shoes alone as my previous job was selling them , literally one hour of global shoe sales is multiple millions in income . There is no excuse to not be able to afford to pay riders . Also , Nike is a “sport” image base brand ... wouldn’t make sense to drop biking .

This is why in all shoe forums , I recommend Vans . They’re holding it down for skating and BMX . I’ll always be riding in Vans , they’re legit as fuck . Shoes are amazing too , it feels good knowing my money I spend on good shoes gets used to potentially help fund a BMX trip / filmer / someone’s plane ticket . I’m cool with that !

I like vans but they only last a few weeks for me so I usually wear etnies who also have a good team and also make an effort to save the environment with some of their profits.

Edit: It just occurred to me that they might be doing something like relocating the funds and sponsoring an Olympic team for bmx, a bit far fetched but if that is the case then I will definitely be avoiding anything Nike in the future.

|

Hmmm

6/1/2018 4:31 PM

Nike is lame, vans atleast sponsors more people and does events but their shoes still suck. I'm on my first pair of fade footware right now and i think they are the truth. Haven't had them long enough to really see how long they last but they have already surpassed my first pair of vans in durability.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/1/2018 4:41 PM

As far as vans goes their logo vans since 1966 is true. The technology and shoes haven't changed or advanced since 1966. While in the late 90s and early 2000s their shoes were nicer there's really nothing special about their current models flimsy, weak and soft. They hurt my feet to ride in. Just plain old vulcanized soles that fall apart and destroy your heels with no padding. The wafflecup pro models might be better but shit at 75 dollars a pair I'm not going to find out

|

6/1/2018 5:14 PM

A pair of Vans with riding and daily use last over half a year for me easily . Not sure what you guys are doing to them but I easily get a season out of a pair

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/1/2018 7:37 PM

A pair of Vans with riding and daily use last over half a year for me easily . Not sure what you guys are doing to them but I easily get a season out of a pair

SAME! My Vans Style 112 Pros last about 6 months of everyday use and riding abuse as well... I'm also confused as to how people "destroy" them in less than 6 months lol

Unless those people aren't using the Pro versions, the Pro versions are where it's at...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/1/2018 8:25 PM

Not gonna bother rehashing this bullshit again. Im just gonna sound like a broken record.

Basically if the shoe market was an ecosystem, Nike is equivalent to an introduced species upsetting the balance of the ecosystem.

|

6/2/2018 12:13 AM

Meh, nike suck. I've said it plenty of times. Etnies are where it's at. If you want a long lasting sole, get jameson 2 eco's.

|

6/2/2018 2:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

SAME! My Vans Style 112 Pros last about 6 months of everyday use and riding abuse as well... I'm also confused as to how people "destroy" them in less than 6 months lol

Unless those people aren't using the Pro versions, the Pro versions are where it's at...

Last pair of vans I had was a pair of sk8 highs I think they were pros because they came with the thick blue insole, the sole ripped off in my third week of ridiculous with them.

Like Steve said the eco 2 is good, the sole is a bit slippery at first but they last for ages and grip well.

|

Hmmm

6/2/2018 2:30 AM

Seeing the only 2 companies that make or made BMX shoes are Vans and 1 pair of Adidas...who cares. A sponsor is just what the definition of the word is. Not a means to an end.

Vans has been the top shoe in BMX for pretty much ever. The tred is perfect and they make enough different styles for every foot and ankle around. I think I have rode pretty much every shoe that is BMX “designed” or not. And Vans are the only shoe I would ever tell anyone to buy. DC’s are crap, Nike was gripping ok but the support sucked, Enties and Emerica (sp) fell apart in a day and didn’t get much grip anyway, Fila made a grippy shoe but ugly and zero support, Rebok is awful, any basketball or cross training shoe might grip but too much flex, Adidas (forget the model) was very good but they stopped making them. I can go on but every shoe I listed I tried 2 times atleast with the same results. Vans are the only one that has proven to me that they grip and support and lasts me over a few weeks. I like the 1/4 tops for a bit of ankle support... 1/2 cabs in the new pro model (not sure with the new insole) are maybe the very best shoe I have owned for BMX and just to wear. Plan to pick up another pair or two this week to wear around not ride in. And the pair I have now is over 9 months old and look a few days old if that.

Bottom line is BMX doesn’t need shoe sponsors. It needs big attention in positive form and big companies to co sponsor riders. Similar to what pro road bike racers have. Can you imagine how big the sport would be if you had something like: Riding for AT&T, Standard and Oakley from Detroit... ___________! insert name

|

6/2/2018 4:48 AM

Photo

Doesn't make sense for a sport brand to drop a now Olympic sport

|

6/2/2018 5:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Meh, nike suck. I've said it plenty of times. Etnies are where it's at. If you want a long lasting sole, get jameson 2 eco's.

Fuck nike. At least support a company that does something positive for BMX. Not just shit instagram stuff. Agree with the jamesons though. Love those shoes

|

6/2/2018 7:47 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

Seeing the only 2 companies that make or made BMX shoes are Vans and 1 pair of Adidas...who cares. A sponsor is just what the definition of the word is. Not a means to an end.

Vans has been the top shoe in BMX for pretty much ever. The tred is perfect and they make enough different styles for every foot and ankle around. I think I have rode pretty much every shoe that is BMX “designed” or not. And Vans are the only shoe I would ever tell anyone to buy. DC’s are crap, Nike was gripping ok but the support sucked, Enties and Emerica (sp) fell apart in a day and didn’t get much grip anyway, Fila made a grippy shoe but ugly and zero support, Rebok is awful, any basketball or cross training shoe might grip but too much flex, Adidas (forget the model) was very good but they stopped making them. I can go on but every shoe I listed I tried 2 times atleast with the same results. Vans are the only one that has proven to me that they grip and support and lasts me over a few weeks. I like the 1/4 tops for a bit of ankle support... 1/2 cabs in the new pro model (not sure with the new insole) are maybe the very best shoe I have owned for BMX and just to wear. Plan to pick up another pair or two this week to wear around not ride in. And the pair I have now is over 9 months old and look a few days old if that.

Bottom line is BMX doesn’t need shoe sponsors. It needs big attention in positive form and big companies to co sponsor riders. Similar to what pro road bike racers have. Can you imagine how big the sport would be if you had something like: Riding for AT&T, Standard and Oakley from Detroit... ___________! insert name

You're generalising. Not all emerica or etnies fall apart straight away. Plus shoes were very different until the recent trend of plimsolls. Etnies had quite a few pro bmx models that would easily outlast pretty much any shoe on the market now. Orchids were hands down the best shoes I've ever had. Es accel were well known to be solid.
Scg look like they'll last, but they're not my cup of tea (and hard to get over here). But for now I'll stick with the jameson 2 eco, my first pair I had for a year of wearing daily, and riding brakeless (I'm on my 3rd pair now). Even etnies marana x michelin only lasted me 2 months.

I think etnies and vans would do very well for themselves if they made a few bmx specific models, rather than just giving a bmxer their own colour of a skate shoe

|

6/2/2018 8:54 AM

Emerica are pretty much the only shoes I'll buy anymore. I've had like 10 pairs (and 4 pairs of es accel and a pair of etnies). Etnies, emerica and es are all under the same company. Idk etnies is okay but a lot of their models are just too big and childish looking for me (giant logos, huge tongue, metal mulisha lol). I had a pair of etnies that weren't bad though.

As for vans I've had

Rowley xlts
Rowley xl2
Whatever the shitty 2010 rowleys were
Half cabs
Slip ons
Some old skool low type pair
And Tony Trujillo 4s

The tnt, and first two rowleys listed weren't bad. The rest were trash, one pair the side fell out just walking around at school. And all have next to no support which is my biggest issue. Half cabs felt like I was riding in a pair of slippers. The wafflecup might fix this problem but 75+ for riding shoes is stupid.

I also bought 2 pairs of orchids (break and the van homan shoes) from van homan and they were ridden in so it's hard to tell how the grip is when new but it had most of the tread and didn't really have the best grip but the support was good on both pairs.

|

6/2/2018 1:58 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

You're generalising. Not all emerica or etnies fall apart straight away. Plus shoes were very different until the recent trend of plimsolls. Etnies had quite a few pro bmx models that would easily outlast pretty much any shoe on the market now. Orchids were hands down the best shoes I've ever had. Es accel were well known to be solid.
Scg look like they'll last, but they're not my cup of tea (and hard to get over here). But for now I'll stick with the jameson 2 eco, my first pair I had for a year of wearing daily, and riding brakeless (I'm on my 3rd pair now). Even etnies marana x michelin only lasted me 2 months.

I think etnies and vans would do very well for themselves if they made a few bmx specific models, rather than just giving a bmxer their own colour of a skate shoe

No, I literally went through 2-3 pairs of everything I listed. That’s how I found out cross training shoes and basketball shoes suck for riding. I didn’t have riding shoes after they crapped on me so had to ride in them till I had 1- money and 2- a chance to get other shoes. I wanted the Emericas to work they felt great but no luck.

And Vans DO have a BMX line. The rubber is a bit stiffer for improving pedal grip and overall durability. So most of the shoes have 2 models the regular that are around $60 and the “Pro models” that are designed for whatever sport you are doing are around $80. You just have to check that you clicked BMX if you are online or if you are in a store...look inside the shoe. If no insole that is blue for most. That’s only the basic “look” version.

|

6/2/2018 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 3:28 PM

Four wrote:

Nike still sponsored riders but stopped their bmx shoe line in like 2012.

The 6.0s I had were good and had nice grip and padding. Bmx really has no good shoe companies left tbh.

Edit: I also try to avoid the corporate shoe companies like adidas, converse, nike etc. Even vans is meh imo

To be honest even though 6.0 has been out the door for 6 years, and Orchid, Duffs, Lotek (OG Lotek), Osiris (Kind of...ish...)

There's still of course Vans (Wearing some Kyle Walker Pro's right now), Etnies, Verve Footwear (Aussie Based Brand), and some others I'm sure...

Maybe a company such as Nike stepping down a bit (Considering it's their European BMX Team I'd assume there's other sectors such as USA and AUS still around) would potentially open up a entirely new core bmx shoe company.

Not saying it'd be easy not thinking it'll never happen either. Always a possibility.

*EDIT*
I also voted right, yes there are good riders not getting paid out of it but at the end of the day, again, it can open another window of opportunity for a potential new (and hopefully GOOD) core bmx shoe company to come into existence.
*/EDIT*

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

6/2/2018 10:08 PM

Everyone is aware of the Adidas that last and grip great right? And not too bad on cost.

Shit...on sale probably not going to make them again. If you need shoes yes these are great!

https://m.adidas.com/us/city-cup-shoes/CQ1081.html

|

6/3/2018 12:01 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

Everyone is aware of the Adidas that last and grip great right? And not too bad on cost.

Shit...on sale probably not going to make them again. If you need shoes yes these are great!

https://m.adidas.com/us/city-cup-shoes/CQ1081.html

im an adidas samba kind of guy wore em for many many years they can withstand abuse im talking going from salt water to rock climbing giving dragged across rough terrain etc

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/3/2018 12:42 AM

The more corporate brands in BMX, the better. Corporate brands (like Nike) can (and should) fuel the industry by paying top riders well, advertising with core media outlets, producing content, etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of that can't happen (at least on a very large level) with small companies.

No one is getting rich (or trying to get rich), but we've gotta keep things moving!

|

6/3/2018 12:55 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

No, I literally went through 2-3 pairs of everything I listed. That’s how I found out cross training shoes and basketball shoes suck for riding. I didn’t have riding shoes after they crapped on me so had to ride in them till I had 1- money and 2- a chance to get other shoes. I wanted the Emericas to work they felt great but no luck.

And Vans DO have a BMX line. The rubber is a bit stiffer for improving pedal grip and overall durability. So most of the shoes have 2 models the regular that are around $60 and the “Pro models” that are designed for whatever sport you are doing are around $80. You just have to check that you clicked BMX if you are online or if you are in a store...look inside the shoe. If no insole that is blue for most. That’s only the basic “look” version.

But all shoe companies make more than 2 or 3 models. Having 3 crap pairs by a brand doesn't mean all models by that brand are bad.
And using cross trainers or basketball shoes for riding? I would've thought that's common sense.

|

6/3/2018 1:00 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

The more corporate brands in BMX, the better. Corporate brands (like Nike) can (and should) fuel the industry by paying top riders well, advertising with core media outlets, producing content, etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of that can't happen (at least on a very large level) with small companies.

No one is getting rich (or trying to get rich), but we've gotta keep things moving!

The thing is, the big corporate brands don't do those things. Nike haven't really done anything for bmx other than make money from it. As much as I don't like monster, they've probably done more for any of the other non bmx brands. But even that's just sponsoring a few events and edits. I can't think of a non bmx brand that's ever really done a massively beneficial thing for bmx

|

6/3/2018 1:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 1:16 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

I agree but then imagine a Zumiez type store but BMX based . I do not .

Corporate brands like Fox , Redbull , Vans should be the heavy hitters in BMX as they actually support it . I mean it’s sick that Nike helps people like Garrett and Chad out , but clearly they just see numbers if they decide to drop BMX . They make over 500 Billion ( yes capital B ) a year , so giving riders shoes and flights is literally the equivalent of 1 piece of toilet paper to them . Not much of an excuse there .

Edit : Walmart makes 500b , not Nike . Confused the 2 . Nike makes a rounded 40b a year , still no excuse

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/3/2018 11:56 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The thing is, the big corporate brands don't do those things. Nike haven't really done anything for bmx other than make money from it. As much as I don't like monster, they've probably done more for any of the other non bmx brands. But even that's just sponsoring a few events and edits. I can't think of a non bmx brand that's ever really done a massively beneficial thing for bmx

I have multiple friends that bought houses with Nike money. Yeah, it'd be great if they were doing more. There's a time when they were. But - even if at the very least they're making it possible for the top, most-progressive riders in the sport to live comfortably and set themselves up for the future - I'm in.

Even after all of their cutbacks / revamping over the past couple of years, they're shoe brand putting the most money into BMX aside from Vans. That's not something we want to see go away.

|

6/3/2018 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 9:28 PM

I've wrecked vans in a short time span (from what's listed below) my brother skates and wrecks his vans in as little as two weeks i think a lot of it has to do with braking and foot tricks and the difference between their for style shoes and actual sports shoes. I'm planning yo get brakes just so my shoes and tires last a bit longer.

I think it sucks they cut back so much I remember when they dropped the 6.0 that shit I liked I still have a 6.0 shirt them bowing out tho is a loss for bmx as a whole regardless of how you feel about big corps they have the funds and reach to bring in even more people to bmx

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip