Cackling in crank area

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2015 4:21 PM

Recently somewhere in my crank area it started i guess cackling you could say kinda like the sound you hear when you rub your spokes together. i tried grease and that didnt work so im wondering before i spend money on a new BB set if its something else such as the spindle or something. Also the noise stops if i loosen the crank bolts (im riding fit indents)

|

2/11/2015 4:28 PM

Are you running the spacer in between you be bearings?

|

2/11/2015 4:32 PM

bobPA wrote:

Are you running the spacer in between you be bearings?

On my non drive side yes but on my drive side no my chain alignment goes off but im using a top hat washer for my sprocket if that helps at all lol. Ive been running it like this for the past 2 months now and it just began yesterday so im just puzzled on what to do

|

2/11/2015 4:36 PM

Take the cranks out and wipe everything down including the spindle & splines (inside the crank arms as well)

Double check that you have the internal spacer in your BB as well while they're out. Now you can start putting everything back together and make sure to use grease on the spindle splines and bolts.

Also make sure your sprocket is installed correctly, it should be slid onto the spindle without tightening the sprocket bolt, then AFTER you snug the crank bolts up you can tighten the sprocket bolt. Also make sure the correct sprocket adapter is in there as well. And just for good measure, make sure your pedals are tight.

Do all that and see if it fixes the problem, if not, it could be something else on your bike like the chain, driver, bb, etc.

|

2/11/2015 4:38 PM

I am talking about the spacer that goes in between the two bottom bracket bearings.

|

2/11/2015 4:45 PM

bobPA wrote:

I am talking about the spacer that goes in between the two bottom bracket bearings.

Yeah i have that inside and @SundaybmxRR I've done that like 4 times by now lol and i think i'll just take it into my LBS to check it out just wanted to check and see if you guys knew whats up before i spent the money, but thanks!

|

2/11/2015 5:16 PM

Are you sure it's the cranks? It could be loose spokes

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

2/11/2015 8:08 PM

notorious NIG wrote:

Are you sure it's the cranks? It could be loose spokes

yea thats what happened before and i trued my rims so its not that this time. So im gonna guess its the BB since its been in there for 2+ years

|

2/11/2015 9:31 PM

if the cranks continue to.make noise after cleaning ect they are more than llikely about to snap had this happen before

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/12/2015 5:41 AM

It's the chain probably my chains making that noise every time I pedal

|

2/12/2015 6:18 AM

Take your chain off and spin your cranks to check the bearings, thats what it was for me last time crackling was coming from the crank area

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)