Calliper Brake on Brakeless Frame

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2016 11:05 AM

Anyone got any solutions to how I could put a calliper brake on a brakeless frame? No drilling holes or anything, like DIY things, the frame is completely brakeless so there is mounts or anything on it. Thanks!

|

5/19/2016 11:18 AM

Nope. You need a new frame. Drilling holes in a frame to put a brake on that won't work anyway seems counter productive

|

5/19/2016 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2016 11:28 AM

You could have mounts welded on, that doesn't involve drilling.

OR get one of these and a 990 brake. Does your seat stay bridge have a hole already drilled in it?

https://www.danscomp.com/products-parts/489057/990_Brake_Plate.html

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/19/2016 11:28 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Nope. You need a new frame. Drilling holes in a frame to put a brake on that won't work anyway seems counter productive

Nah, I don't think I need a new frame to put a brake on, I'm sure there is a few decent ways to put one on.

|

5/19/2016 11:53 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

OR get one of these and a 990 brake. Does your seat stay ...more

No it doesn't have hole in the seat stay bit

|

5/19/2016 1:15 PM

If you have a frame repairing place local to you, you could get mounts welded on as Dave suggested, and a cable stop.
It would be so much easier and more cost effective to just swap your frame with someone who's got a frame with mounts, or bosses for removable mounts.
The mount from dans that Dave gave a link to flex a hell of a lot so also won't work particularly well. And you'll still be missing the cable stop. There are solutions to your problem, but they won't work perfectly so I don't see the point. Swap your frame and have a brake that works properly.

|

5/19/2016 1:31 PM

LewyyM8 wrote:

I've heard of people rigging the brake plate on with hose clamps and or zipties, but you are limited to that, welding mounts on, drilling, or a new frame.

That's it. I guess you COULD run a coaster brake.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/19/2016 1:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2016 1:55 PM

just drill a hole in your seat stay bridge and run a 990 mount plate ez win

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

5/19/2016 4:02 PM

Yeah, I see no reason you can't drill a hole in the seat stay bridge.

I wouldn't do it though.

|

5/20/2016 3:57 AM

Why can't you get mounts welded on?

|

It’s all bmx

5/20/2016 4:14 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

OR get one of these and a 990 brake. Does your seat stay ...more

LewyyM8 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I've heard of people rigging the brake plate on with hose clamps and or zipties, but you are limited to that, welding mounts ...more

I'm using a hose clamp and and zip ties, seems to work out

|

5/20/2016 4:15 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Because it will ruin the frame and I've never seen someone have the same frame as me in person so I like it to be orginal.

|

5/20/2016 5:57 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

LewyyM8 wrote:

Because it will ruin the frame and I've never seen someone have the same frame as me in person so I like it to be orginal.

if you get someone who knows what they're doing it wont be ruined. My frame was brakeless but I had a local bike builder weld some mounts on and it looks factory made. Hit up Mike Laird, FBM, S&M, Standard, ect

|

It’s all bmx

5/20/2016 11:40 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

LewyyM8 wrote:

What is it?

It would also make it more "one of a kind".

Keep in mind the hose clamp and zip ties CAN cause damages to the paint and or material.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/20/2016 1:34 PM

Having the mounts welded on would essentially make it custom, it would be awesome!

How are you going to make a cable stop? My only suggestion for that would be to mount the brake on the chainstays if there's chain clearance, and drill a hole in the seat tube. Put a barrel adjuster in the hole and have the yoke behind the seat tube (so the outer cable stops in the barrel adjuster, and the inner goes through the seat tube like a lot of mid school frames). If the frame's got a short rear end you won't have much room to play around with though.

|

5/20/2016 1:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Having the mounts welded on would essentially make it custom, it would be awesome!

How are you going to make a cable stop? My ...more

I think he's rocking the standard caliper setup. Cable from lever to brake arm.

Photo

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/20/2016 2:16 PM

Oh, I thought he was running a plate because he mentioned hose clamps

|

5/20/2016 2:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

How are you going to make a cable stop? My ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I think he's rocking the standard caliper setup. Cable from lever to brake arm.

Photo

Yes I am using one of them of brake callipers

|