Can I do Potts mod with a side pull brakes?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2020 2:08 PM

I’m a intermediate flatlander I can do the basics (wheelies endos infinity roll) but I run a side pull front brake and I want to learn some whips and barspins but my brake cable blocks it. I researched about gyros and that there for rear brakes but then I saw Potts mod where the front brake cable runs through the headset and comes out the bottom of the forks but I kept seeing u brakes and I need mounts on my forks for them I’m wondering if I can use brakes that don’t need a mount for this mod.

|

2/27/2020 2:12 PM

Yes.Check out some 80's GT performers with potts mods.

|

2/27/2020 2:17 PM

bloghogs wrote:

Yes.Check out some 80's GT performers with potts mods.

I have but what’s the actual name of the brakes used I’ve got a side pull brake on my bmx atm

|

2/27/2020 2:35 PM

You can usually just swap the two pieces on your brakes so it runs the cable from the bottom instead of the top.

So, pinch bolt and barrel adjuster just get swapped positions.

Post a picture of the brakes you have now.

|

2/27/2020 2:41 PM

Photo
|

2/27/2020 2:42 PM

pnj wrote:

You can usually just swap the two pieces on your brakes so it runs the cable from the bottom instead of the top.

Those are my brakes atm

|

2/27/2020 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2020 2:43 PM

pnj wrote:

That’s isnt my picture but that’s exactly what my setup looks like

|

2/27/2020 2:52 PM

yes, but i would recommend getting forks with brake mounts since they work way better than side pull brakes like that. flatlandfuel.com has odyssey minimal offset forks on sale for $100

|

It’s all bmx

2/27/2020 2:56 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

yes, but i would recommend getting forks with brake mounts since they work way better than side pull brakes like that. flatlandfuel.com has odyssey minimal offset forks on sale for $100

Thank you I will look into them I recently got side pull brakes from my local bmx shop so a little bummed I couldn’t do it with the brakes I bought and have to get a new fork and brake

|

2/27/2020 3:03 PM

Awesome picture of Journey!

|

2/27/2020 4:33 PM

a picture of the actual brakes is what I was asking for. Not the lever or cable. lol. smile

but if you follow the cable down to the brake, the first piece on the brake arm is the barrel adjuster. The next piece is the cable clamp / pinch bolt bit.

Both of those parts need to be swapped so the pinch bolt is on the upper arm and the barrel adjuster is on the lower one. Then get a longer cable and run the cable through the stem / fork . Then get some zip ties to hold the cable so it doesn't rub the tire.

If the barrel adjuster can't be removed, you can drill it out and probably find one that bolts on at the local shop. They probably have a box of old parts and in that box, they probably have what you need.

|

2/27/2020 11:59 PM

pnj wrote:

a picture of the actual brakes is what I was asking for. Not the lever or cable. lol. smile

but if you follow the cable down to the brake, the first piece on the brake arm is the barrel adjuster. The next piece is the cable clamp / pinch bolt bit.

Both of those parts need to be swapped so the pinch bolt is on the upper arm and the barrel adjuster is on the lower one. Then get a longer cable and run the cable through the stem / fork . Then get some zip ties to hold the cable so it doesn't rub the tire.

If the barrel adjuster can't be removed, you can drill it out and probably find one that bolts on at the local shop. They probably have a box of old parts and in that box, they probably have what you need.

Thanks i will try that as soon as i can bc the frustration i felt when I thought i had to buy a new brake and fork was annoying being as a bought a new brake a few days a go

|

2/28/2020 10:03 AM

Don't stop believing that you can get it to work

|

3/4/2020 3:29 PM

I legitimately didn't even know this was a named thing. Yes, it will definitely work, I used to do them on my shitty dyno zone back when I first started bmxing.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/4/2020 3:55 PM

fun fact.

This mod is named after Mike Buffs brother. Mike Pots.

|

3/10/2020 3:38 PM

pnj wrote:

fun fact.

This mod is named after Mike Buffs brother. Mike Pots.

haha i was at the park to day and i was doing a footjam tail whip without the foot jam just placing my foot on the tire and a kid said how come your doing a footjam tailwhip with out the footjaming damn i love front brakes

|