Can I respray my bike without paint stripper

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2021 9:38 AM

Just using a good primer and spray paint
Thx

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

2/1/2021 9:55 AM

You totally can , just cause you can do something doesn’t mean it’s going to look good

|

2/1/2021 10:05 AM

Mix the stripper and new paint together to save time.

|

I get big airs off small things

2/1/2021 10:12 AM

you can do a great spray job over an existing paint layer. If the existing layer is chipped you might be seeing that chip in your new layer...

Lightly sand the existing paint so it's nice and even. You can sand out any chipped areas while doing this, if you care.

wipe down the frame to remove dust...

Then hang the frame and do a few light coats of the color you want.

Do as many light coats as you like until you're happy with the results.

|

2/1/2021 10:14 AM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Mix the stripper and new paint together to save time.

Decent idea

|

2/1/2021 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2021 10:15 AM

pnj wrote:

you can do a great spray job over an existing paint layer. If the existing layer is chipped you might be seeing that chip in your new layer...

Lightly sand the existing paint so it's nice and even. You can sand out any chipped areas while doing this, if you care.

wipe down the frame to remove dust...

Then hang the frame and do a few light coats of the color you want.

Do as many light coats as you like until you're happy with the results.

thank you think this is what I'm gona do exactly what you wrote, use primer too right?

|

2/1/2021 10:18 AM

Are you spraying over factory paint? Is the paint you are spraying over holding up well or does it chip off easy?

|

2/1/2021 10:31 AM

eskimojay wrote:

You totally can , just cause you can do something doesn’t mean it’s going to look good

beat me to it

|

It’s all bmx

2/1/2021 11:05 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Are you spraying over factory paint? Is the paint you are spraying over holding up well or does it chip off easy?

It's factory paint from a United complete and the paint is perfect, almost no flaws

|

2/1/2021 12:29 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Mad Mars wrote:

It's factory paint from a United complete and the paint is perfect, almost no flaws

Good, don't use any primer, lightly wet sand with a fine grit sandpaper like 500-800, afterwards hang it with a piece of wire or coat hanger to paint. After your done touching it/hanging it, wipe it all down with mineral spirits. Follow those steps and Pnj's tips and you should be golden. Krylon regular is awesome and forgiving, dries quick too..

|

2/1/2021 5:54 PM

Sand up that powder coat really good and let the pain fly. The paint is going to adhere to that and be way more durable than if you strip it raw. You can still prime it before painting if you want but it's not really necessary.

|

2/1/2021 11:04 PM

If you're really picky like me, I hate having underlying paint showing through the scuffs and scratches, so I always strip the coat first, but it'll work just fine over existing paint.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/2/2021 4:40 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Good, don't use any primer, lightly wet sand with a fine grit sandpaper like 500-800, afterwards hang it with a piece of wire or coat hanger to paint. After your done touching it/hanging it, wipe it all down with mineral spirits. Follow those steps and Pnj's tips and you should be golden. Krylon regular is awesome and forgiving, dries quick too..

I used engine enamel for my last paint job, followed by a few layers of clear and it was hard to chip.

SO that said, I recommend engine paint.

But anything will work. I used to go with the 99 cent flat black or flat white back in the day.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/2/2021 11:26 AM

You can do anything you want. Doesnt mean it will turn out worth a crap tho

|

Husky Nation Member

2/2/2021 12:32 PM

You can spray just about anything without paint stripper. The type of thing/material you're spraying along with clean or dirty will determine how well the spray will be.

FYI only read title.

|

2/3/2021 7:31 AM

Mad Mars wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I used engine enamel for my last paint job, followed by a few layers of clear and it was hard to chip.

SO that said, I recommend engine paint.

But anything will work. I used to go with the 99 cent flat black or flat white back in the day.

I've painted a lot of painted a lot of frames over the years and I've found that spray paints that are specific to outdoor use old up best. Krylon and Rustoleum both used to make an "outdoor spaces" type of paint. They were all satin/matte colors and the color selection was limited but each time I used them the paint was nearly as durable as the original powder coat. It was great stuff. I think they were both discontinued though.

The 2nd best thing I've found is implement paint. Stuff that's used on heavy machinery. Again, the color selection is limited but it goes on smooth and hardens really well.

|