Can any preinstalled chain fit on my bike.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2018 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2018 10:37 AM

So i got a chain from somebody it pretty much new it green and he didn’t like the color so he ended up giving it to me for free. So it has been installed on his bike but took it off it’s a half link chain I want to know could I just pop it on my bike now you guys might say that my chain doesn’t need to be changed but in the picture it looks fine but in person it’s rusty or getting there I don’t know how it got rusted so fast when I brought it. So I don’t want to ride with a rusty chain can it happen or not.

Photo

|

1/20/2018 10:43 AM

Yes you can use it.
It probably rusted because you let water sit on it or it wasn't lubed

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 10:52 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yes you can use it.

Okay thanks so I can just put it on do I need to adjust the chain so it can be tight not to tight but good enough to ride. Because when I pedal with my hand it feels funny Like it has a slack but it still can pedal.

|

1/20/2018 10:55 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yes you can use it.

FalloutBmxer111 wrote:

Okay thanks so I can just put it on do I need to adjust the chain so it can be tight not to tight but good enough to ride. ...more

Yes make sure the chain you are putting on is the same length as the chain you are taking off

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2018 11:18 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yes you can use it.

FalloutBmxer111 wrote:

Okay thanks so I can just put it on do I need to adjust the chain so it can be tight not to tight but good enough to ride. ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Yes make sure the chain you are putting on is the same length as the chain you are taking off

He is having trouble taking the chain off on his bike we both of us are newbies to bmx so how do you take it off. The guy at the bike shop installed his chain but we don’t have a ride to get there. He got it off the wheel and sprocket but just don’t know how to get it off his bike so he can give it to me.

|

1/20/2018 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2018 11:57 AM

You need a chain breaker tool. And if its going loose then tight like that its stretched.

|

1/20/2018 12:08 PM

FalloutBmxer111 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

FalloutBmxer111 wrote:

He is having trouble taking the chain off on his bike we both of us are newbies to bmx so how do you take it off. The guy at ...more

There are loads of YouTube tutorials on how to cut a chain and put one on. You will need a chain breaker

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 12:10 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

You need a chain breaker tool. And if its going loose then tight like that its stretched.

Would I need one for both bikes

|

1/20/2018 12:15 PM

Well you only need one chain breaker tool but yes you would need to break the chain whilest keeping the pin just in the ring and then you would need to reattach it using the breaker tool.

|

1/20/2018 12:31 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Well you only need one chain breaker tool but yes you would need to break the chain whilest keeping the pin just in the ring ...more

Okay thanks does Walmart has chain breakers

|

1/20/2018 1:09 PM

I seriously doubt it. You'd need a bike shop.

|

1/20/2018 5:08 PM

Walmart has em but beware they're cheap and pretty much guaranteed to be a bitch as well as only usable a few times before the pin is falling out. I've literally snapped the handle in half before they trash but might be enough to get it done

|

@coupd_tat

1/20/2018 5:15 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Well you only need one chain breaker tool but yes you would need to break the chain whilest keeping the pin just in the ring ...more

FalloutBmxer111 wrote:

Okay thanks does Walmart has chain breakers

Check for a master link before you break it

|

1/20/2018 7:45 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Walmart has em but beware they're cheap and pretty much guaranteed to be a bitch as well as only usable a few times before the ...more

Lol dude you remind me of a funny story that happenes to me.

So a few years ago I snapped my bike chain, so I tic-taced* my bike to the local Tesco (around a kilometer/a bit over half a mile). Went there with my chain tool, brought a cheap chain and installed it right at the parking garage. Went and got some cheap street food, then as I was riding home the chain snapped. Didnt hit my knee or anything but I picked up the chain, reconnected it, and pedaled very gently all the way back. So when I get to my street, theres this wall I use to always fakie out of before I head into the house. You can guess that pedal pressure broke the chain again and, in that moment of chaotic pandemonium, I had completely forgotten how to ride a bike and straight up crashed into my fence, breaking a few welds on the fence.

*-That action where you simultaneously turn your front wheel left and right to gain momentum through angular motion (or some other terminology). Dont know the name of the maneuver but its the same science as tic-taccing on a skateboard.

|

1/21/2018 4:11 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

Walmart has em but beware they're cheap and pretty much guaranteed to be a bitch as well as only usable a few times before the ...more

thairishguy wrote:

So a few years ago I snapped my bike chain, so I tic-taced* my ...more

Tesco sell chains? Wow I wouldn't have thought

|

Hmmm

1/22/2018 12:02 AM

A lot of bikes have similar sized chainstays so you might just have to move your axle forward or rearward in the dropouts. Ive used other chains off bikes temporarily. I usually switch them out if they are thin, stretchy or have been thoroughly damaged.

|

1/22/2018 1:22 AM

If you have exactly the same chainstay legnth and gearing, it will fit, if not it won't go right on without adding or removing links.

|

1/22/2018 1:03 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

thairishguy wrote:

Haha, I was gonna say, I didn't know you could tic-tac a bike. I get what your talking about though.

|

1/30/2018 8:28 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

thairishguy wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Haha, I was gonna say, I didn't know you could tic-tac a bike. I get what your talking about though.

I’m pretty sure theres a proper term for it though, I was gonna say “pumping”, but that term pertains more to transition momentum rather than flatground momentum.

|

1/31/2018 3:31 AM

thairishguy wrote:

I’m pretty sure theres a proper term for it though, I was gonna say “pumping”, but that term pertains more to transition ...more

Carving?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson