Can anyone help me find out what my old BMX was? (UK)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2018 7:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2018 7:32 AM

Hello guys,

Just one of those questions that has been picking my brain.. hope you don't mind me posting here on the off chance somebody might have an idea. It isn't really all that important anyways.. like I say it's just been wrecking my head to remember what it was.

I've recently gotten back into BMX.. not really started yet but making the preparations and it's rained yesterday and today anyways.

It got me thinking.. I've been wondering what my old BMX was.. and I figured maybe somebody on here might remember the (likely low end) BMXs available or doing the rounds here at the time, like we have say.. the Mongoose or the Voodoos today.

As noted, I'm from the UK so maybe someone would know what my old BMX was if I give all I can remember about it.

My memory is sketchy as the last time I had this bike was way back in the early 2000s.. it definitely didn't seem very old then.. if it was it had been kept in great shape.. I'd guess maybe late 90s or early 00s production era.. I'd say I got it around 2000 or 2001-ish.

I got it from a guy I went to school and done motocross with.. I had a CR80 and he had some kind of Suzuki.

The BMX was immaculate but it had a broken sprocket or chain or something (something with the "drivetrain" anyways).. I'm pretty sure the rear was broken in two and the chain was gone.. he sold it to me for something like £20 for the complete bike I think. Everything else was perfect on it and it looked like new. Haven't heard of the guy in 15+ years.. no idea where he is today, stopped hanging around with him not long after anyways.

I remember leaving it into a bike shop and they fixed it for me for like another £20 and it went perfect. At the time I wasn't really into "names" or anything, in an age when the internet was pretty much still in it's infancy there was no Mongoose, Haro, WTP, Kink or whatever to us.. you know, as an 11-12 year old kid who didn't know what an internet forum was, a nice BMX was a nice BMX.. so no names stick in my memory as such. Whilst it's really great today.. the wealth of information we have at our fingertips.. with a little research you can pretty much learn about anything on your own these days.. it's crazy to think that not really all that long ago we had little more than monthly magazines and word of mouth for many hobbies.. but people still managed just fine.

I can't even remember what became of the bike.. something tells me I may have given it to my sister as a present for my nephew.. he was a couple of years younger than me but he passed away a few years back can't ask him either.

It was a nickel finish.. I think it may have had some red or black on it. Not certain but maybe like maybe a few small stickers or something.. Generally I think it was mainly nickel and some red. Those were the two colours that stick in my mind.

I think it had a red seat.. it may have had some holes or slots in it.. and I'm pretty sure it was actually just hard red plastic seat.

From memory I'm pretty sure the bike had a gyro system and pegs and everything.. so I'm beginning to wonder was it maybe better than I knew? But then again.. I do have memories of kids all over the place going about on bikes with another "standing" on the rear pegs as a second passenger. So maybe a kind of "stunt bikes" as I think I remind some being called were being knocked out as Christmas boxes at the time?

That new Mongoose I bought has none of these so I'd imagine you'd get them on "higher end" stuff? Maybe wrong.. I dunno.. do most the more expensive bikes come with gyros now? What do people think of them these days? Sorry if a stupid question.. please keep in mind it's near two decades since I sat my a** on a BMX.

One other vital piece of information I recall about the bike was that it had a Union Flag on it.. on the front of the seatpost.. I vividly remember this for one reason, because some one scraped it off with a stone one time I was on a CR80 in a field and my BMX was sitting there a bit away from a bunch of people watching and when I came back on the scrambler they told me they saw some guy scraping it with a stone and ran away laughing.

So that's got to narrow down manufacturers a bit? I don't know if it was British made or British designed or what.. but it had a Union Flag on it as stock. Surely couldn't have been all that many?

Any ideas? I'd just love to have a look online and see if I can see any of them today?

Thanks in advance.

|

10/13/2018 7:59 AM

The description is far too vague to be honest. Gyros and pegs came on all levels of bikes since the mid 90's. The plastic seat tells me it was either early-mid 90's, or cheap. And even the union flag only means the brand put it there to make it seem better than it probably was. There's never been any major manufacturers in the UK, and the one's that have been around have been very high end. More than likely it was a "designed in Britain" kind of sticker, that you'd get on a raleigh or Halfords bike.

I hate gyro's personally, but they serve a purpose and some people love them. They rarely come on better complete bikes now. But that's mostly to do with cost. A decent gyro set up will cost over £100, and most bike companies try to keep the cost low on completes. It's a competitive market. Same goes for pegs really, some bikes come with 2, most come with none though.

Even in the early 00's you could easily spend upwards of £1k on a good custom bike. With loads of completes on the market varying in price depending on the spec

|

10/13/2018 9:28 AM

Have a look on BMX Museum website. Maybe you’ll have some luck over there

|

Ride everything

10/13/2018 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2018 11:03 AM

Steve- Thanks very much for the response. I greatly appreciate it. As I say, it was really no big deal or anything important.. it was just picking my brain if I could think of the brand name on it or anything.. but it seems I can't.

I too had the feeling it was likely a "designed in Britain" type sticker.. (which I guess probably should have been a Chinese flag! Kinda like those cheapie Chinese motorbikes doing the rounds at the moment). I definitely can see your point that he description is too vague too, I just thought maybe on an off chance someone had something similar and it maybe stuck in their mind.. with the colour scheme, the hard saddle and the Union flag. I figured it unlikely anyone would be able to pinpoint it by those few notes alone unless they owned one.

I'm pretty glad to hear you think it most likely had been a cheapie! I was hoping I hadn't given away something good, haha. You are not a fan of the gyros? Just as I'm pretty much just learning the ins and outs.. is there any reason for your dislike for them? Downsides or anything? They seemed like a good idea to me initially.. but then, I like to keep things pretty simple.. I suppose, if you ride brakeless or aren't doing bar spins.. there would really be no need for one? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason they exist would be for brake cables.. so brakeless riders would have no need? Maybe they're over complicated or problematic a pain in the **?

My Mongoose came with brakes.. I stuck them on for the moment to see what I think.. I don't think they seem to be the best part on the bike but they seem okay. I would probably be happy with a rear.. I do like to have some kind of stopping assistance there.. maybe psychological more than anything but I'm always covering the rear on my MTB but rarely use it.. don't think I ever use the front. The pedals are kinda light plastic.. I dunno what most people roll with these days.. but I'll maybe stick something better on soon.. like a pair of affordable metal ones. I'd imagine that'd be the way to go? I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment but I think a decent set of pedals would be cheap start.. and just go with the wheels etc and see how they hold out, then think about replacements if they take any hurt.

I think I'd sent you a message about the other bike the other night and if you've replied and I haven't I apologise as I'm still finding my way around.. I just cannot find a message box place.. like an inbox/sentbox, maybe I need my glasses on, haha, but I've went through everywhere and I can't find one. I did see a send message button when I go to people's profiles so I sent one but I couldn't say for sure it. Lol. Cheers Steve. Have a good weekend. smile

Jibby- Thanks very much. Had no idea that existed. I take it it's like some kind of database for old BMX models. I'll have a Google now. Much appreciated. smile
|

10/13/2018 1:20 PM

The messaging system on here is a bit odd. The message goes to the recipients email address, not an inbox on this site. I did get your message, but I'm another part down on it being a complete bike now, so I'm just trying to figure out a way of making it complete without costing me any more money.

Personally, I'm brakeless. But if I had a brake I'd use a straight cable. Gyro's are a little over complicated and not worth the effort, unless you're doing multiple barspins and tailwhips in one run. But mostly, to me, I think they're ugly. I like very simple looking bikes. Less is more!
They aren't particularly hard to set up, but the look, and fact I'm not a fan of barspins or tailwhips, just makes them surplus.

|

10/15/2018 12:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 12:24 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The messaging system on here is a bit odd. The message goes to the recipients email address, not an inbox on this site. I did get your message, but I'm another part down on it being a complete bike now, so I'm just trying to figure out a way of making it complete without costing me any more money.

Personally, I'm brakeless. But if I had a brake I'd use a straight cable. Gyro's are a little over complicated and not worth the effort, unless you're doing multiple barspins and tailwhips in one run. But mostly, to me, I think they're ugly. I like very simple looking bikes. Less is more!
They aren't particularly hard to set up, but the look, and fact I'm not a fan of barspins or tailwhips, just makes them surplus.

Ohh I see, so you write the message on here then it goes to the person's email? And vice versa? You just write the message on here.. the get it via e-mail.. then reply on here again? I've never known that kind of a system before. I never really check the email I signed up with so I probably should take a look today!

It's no worries about you being a part down.. if you need something I could pay for it and ship it to you or just send you the money for it.. have you any idea what sort of price range the part in question would be? Even if you used a sort of low-mid one? Or maybe one would pop up on here.

I see what you mean there.. I kept thinking brakeless might be the way to go eventually. I only put these on the Mongoose because they were already there.. but it's a possibility I'll take them off after a while.

Indeed the gyro does look a bit over complicated (at least for my liking).. I too like simplicity on a bike.. seems the way to go and looks alot better.. to me a basic looking bmx definitely looks the part and much stuff being unnecessary. I took all the "UK requirement" stuff off my new bike, all those reflectors and guards and stuff all over it I think they have to include them legally on new bikes in the UK.. they likely know everyone is gonna taken them all off soon as they get them.

The only thing I left on was a plastic chain guard thing.. it was on it already and it kind spoils the look of the bike also.. I was just wondering would it be best left in incase I tore the leg off myself.. lol. But I think I'll take it off too.. as I was thinking there's nothing like that on any of my other bikes and I never had any problem so I don't think there's any need or benefit for it either? Just take it off too? It's a bit of an eyesore.. I imagine another safety thing not really needed. I don't really see them on anyone else's BMXs online.

Oh another thing I was wondering.. just out of curiosity, what pressures do you guys typically run on BMXs? I was looking at another thread and people were saying really high pressures. Like it seemed crazy high. Maybe they're different scale for it in the USA or something or different kind of tyres but they were like literally double what most bike tyres I see recommended highest pressure.. I think if I put any of my tyres that high they'd pop.

These tyres that came on the Mongoose, I think they say inflate between 35 and 60 PSI. I think they just half inflated them for shipping as there ain't much air in the,. I think my MTB tyres say the same.. 35-60. I put them to around 45-50 (Usually mid way between the two on the gauge) which I feel is somewhat of a happy medium.. I think that's around right as it's forgiving but any softer would be slower, or sluggish or unresponsive. but anything higher would be just too damn stiff and I'd imagine skiddy/spinny/slippy, less traction.. so I was thinking just go with something similar on the BMX? 45-50?

Just curious really what others use. I see a lot of people saying not to go too high if you like your wrists.. which I suppose makes sense on a non-suspensioned bike which people are doing jumps with. But yeah, as I say, just wondering.. but I think I'll stick with 45-50 on mine.

Many thanks as always. Have great week.

|

10/15/2018 12:57 AM

With regards to tyre pressure, I used to run about 40 but recently went up to about 50-55, it feels better but I wouldn't really want to go much higher than that

|

10/15/2018 1:29 AM

Yeah some people like high pressure. Their bikes must roll like shit because they say it's to keep speed. I usually use around 50psi. I'd say pump em up to 60 and see how it feels.

The sensible thing to do would be to keep a straight cable on there. There's plenty of cool tricks you can do with a brake. And I doubt you'll be sending double tailwhips any time soon smile I just hate the feeling of a lever on my bars now.

The chain guard won't really help with much to be honest. Take it off smile

|