Can pegs wreck my axle?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2016 10:45 AM

A few months ago I put some fiend plastic pegs on my bike, just recently I noticed that the rear axle threading was stripped, I'm curious if this is because of the pegs or just me tightening my bolt on crooked or improper, thanks!

|

8/9/2016 11:20 AM

Using pegs won't often strip threads. But you can fairly easily bend an axle if you land heavily into grinds or grind a lot of rough stuff

|

8/9/2016 2:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2016 2:40 PM

Well, there are several factors.

What side are you grinding on? If it's left, then the pegs will naturally loosen themselves when you grind if you don't have a lock pin in your dropouts. As for the right, the pegs will want to spin clockwise, so they will be less likely to come loose.

For the left side, it is possible to strip the axle because when you grind, the axle nut will be smashed against the peg as your peg is grinding and causing tension against the tightened axle nut. Of course this is VERY unlikely, but if you aren't running the anti-rotation pins, this could be why.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/9/2016 3:43 PM

The peg on the axle could be what you mean , it's normal .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/10/2016 10:17 AM

Yeah I do grind on the left, I'll try out some locking pegs and see how that works

|

8/11/2016 6:00 PM

I swapped out my axles with a fresh new one, everything seems to be good now, now trying out four pegs but I'm not sure if I can get over the feeling of my back foot hitting my peg... Might have to just run 3 pegs

|

8/12/2016 5:49 AM

problem solved
Photo

|

It’s all bmx