Can ride park, but not street?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2019 10:46 AM

I've grown up at my local park which is mostly park orientated instead of street, and I can flip, double whip, truck, etc and all that bullshit but for some reason the only thing I can do flat/street other than spins are barspins. I feel so pathetic when riding street because of how bad I am at it, and I've really been trying to improve these past couple months, but I'm still stuck with super little confidence in street riding. my hands sweat buckets when I ride so I wear gloves, and I dont feel safe without a helmet and shin guards, but when I wear all that when riding street I just feel goofy and would rather ride park. Does anyone else experience this aswell? I tend to get pretty frustrated with myself when I try and fail to do anything flat or street.

|

8/12/2019 12:06 PM

i don't like riding street very much, i'll take a nice park any day of the week.

that said, there's no rules saying you can't wear protective gear riding street. but if you don't enjoy riding street, thendon't ride street. no one will care if you only like one type of riding, I promise.

|

fack off

8/12/2019 12:18 PM

That’s because you’re a typical park rat 😊

Just ride street loads. Forget about finding a spot to do a trick, and just ride whatever you find. Street is about finding a way to ride whatever you find. Not looking for something to do tricks on. Get comfortable with good solid high hops

|

8/12/2019 4:52 PM

Everyone is different. For some reason I don't like concrete ramps all that much but I love riding dirt jumps or wooden/masonite/plastic ramps

|

Barends are for weenies

8/12/2019 5:57 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

i don't like riding street very much, i'll take a nice park any day of the week.

that said, there's no rules saying you can't wear protective gear riding street. but if you don't enjoy riding street, thendon't ride street. no one will care if you only like one type of riding, I promise.

Thanks man I'm glad to hear it's fairly common. I WANT to like street but I just find whenever I try actually doing it I just feel like trash, making it super hard to like. Thanks for the advice!

|

8/12/2019 11:37 PM

Van Homan wears protective gear when riding street and he is one of the best of all time

|

8/13/2019 1:15 AM

Always wear at least a helmet. Better to look retarded, than actually be retarded.

|

8/13/2019 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 5:08 AM

Man up and wear what ever you need to fill comfortable when riding street!

If you’re already able to throw double whips and flips I’m sure you’ll soon be able to throw some gnarly stuff on street as well!

|

8/13/2019 5:10 AM

Just ride more. Don't worry about doing all the same park tricks-you likely will do more basics on street.

Hops are one of the biggest things to have dialed to help with street.

An open mind on what you ride. I've ridden curbs and had more fun than parks.

Helmet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2019 5:23 AM

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. No shame in that. I pretty much only ride parks now, I'm wanting to get my front brakes back on and all I do is ramps and ledges,

Ten years ago I would send it on anything with no fear, people change and that's ok mate.

Also stay padded up. Everything hurts, I padded up after the horses left the stable so to speak, they've saved me from further serious issues, but I'd be in a better position if I had them to start with.

|

8/13/2019 5:08 PM

I suck at park always, but street.. so fun. Love setting up crap I find around and getting creative with it.
Never had good parks around, I can barely properly air coping on big quarters but I can hop about 4 1/2 feet high. All depends on what you're used to really. They're very different styles

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/13/2019 6:39 PM

Thanks for all the tips and advice dudes!!

|

8/13/2019 8:26 PM

Jake.crue02 wrote:

I've grown up at my local park which is mostly park orientated instead of street, and I can flip, double whip, truck, etc and all that bullshit but for some reason the only thing I can do flat/street other than spins are barspins. I feel so pathetic when riding street because of how bad I am at it, and I've really been trying to improve these past couple months, but I'm still stuck with super little confidence in street riding. my hands sweat buckets when I ride so I wear gloves, and I dont feel safe without a helmet and shin guards, but when I wear all that when riding street I just feel goofy and would rather ride park. Does anyone else experience this aswell? I tend to get pretty frustrated with myself when I try and fail to do anything flat or street.

Nope, I ride street mostly and wear knee/shin pads, full face, gloves and ankle guards. Just ride wherever, dont worry about what people think, they already think you are on achildrens bike anyway.

|

8/13/2019 10:30 PM

Jake.crue02 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Nope, I ride street mostly and wear knee/shin pads, full face, gloves and ankle guards. Just ride wherever, dont worry about what people think, they already think you are on achildrens bike anyway.

Haha this. We already don’t look ‘cool’ to a huge part of the population already, a helmet and whatever else you need to feel comfortable really won’t make much difference in the grand scheme of things!

|

8/14/2019 4:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2019 4:55 AM

Spenlard wrote:

I suck at park always, but street.. so fun. Love setting up crap I find around and getting creative with it.
Never had good parks around, I can barely properly air coping on big quarters but I can hop about 4 1/2 feet high. All depends on what you're used to really. They're very different styles

4 1/2 FEET? Bar height is usually around 3 feet...so you could clear a bike standing up but over a foot???

That's a Ty Morrow hop.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2019 5:41 AM

Spenlard wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

4 1/2 FEET? Bar height is usually around 3 feet...so you could clear a bike standing up but over a foot???

That's a Ty Morrow hop.

Exaggerating seems pretty popular on here

|

8/14/2019 10:27 AM

Spenlard wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

That's a Ty Morrow hop.

.pegless. wrote:

9ft quarter...broken cranks...

|

8/19/2019 8:13 AM

Spenlard wrote:

Homie ^ got hops like Broc Raiford😳

|

8/19/2019 9:08 AM

Spenlard wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Homie ^ got hops like Broc Raiford😳

Guy is apparently within 3 inches of the world record for any kind of bicycle, and the guy who did it was on a trials bike 7/29/2017 in the UK. His name is Rick Koekoek and he hopped 4 ft 9.08 inches.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/19/2019 8:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2019 8:56 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

That's a Ty Morrow hop.

.pegless. wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Meh, I can hop over a full size garbage can. Maybe not 4 1/2. but yeah, probably about 4 feet haha. Not sure exactly how big they are. I've been riding about 10 years and it's basically all I've got to show for it. Gotta have somethin'.. can't barspin, tailwhip, hold a manual, never rode pegs. My trick variety is literally turn downs, tabletops, huge bunnyhops, 180s and 360s.

Edit: Okay so I calculated the height of the garbage can in question, it's 46 inches AKA 3.8' feet. Was a bit exaggerated but I was just tossin' a number out there in my defense hahaha. Clearing it is probably about a 4 foot hop though. Only done it a few times because well, it's terrifying.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/20/2019 4:01 PM

Spenlard wrote:

Meh, I can hop over a full size garbage can. Maybe not 4 1/2. but yeah, probably about 4 feet haha. Not sure exactly how big they are. I've been riding about 10 years and it's basically all I've got to show for it. Gotta have somethin'.. can't barspin, tailwhip, hold a manual, never rode pegs. My trick variety is literally turn downs, tabletops, huge bunnyhops, 180s and 360s.

Edit: Okay so I calculated the height of the garbage can in question, it's 46 inches AKA 3.8' feet. Was a bit exaggerated but I was just tossin' a number out there in my defense hahaha. Clearing it is probably about a 4 foot hop though. Only done it a few times because well, it's terrifying.

46" is still world class, hell I think the highest hop anyone managed at the recent Vans Rebel jam was 50".

Any chance you'd post a video? If you measured the trash can as 46" and hopped over it you'd be a legend

|

8/20/2019 7:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2019 7:58 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Spenlard wrote:

Da Biker Boy wrote:

46" is still world class, hell I think the highest hop anyone managed at the recent Vans Rebel jam was 50".

Any chance you'd post a video? If you measured the trash can as 46" and hopped over it you'd be a legend

I am living on an island and only downhill mtb nowadays. Kind of retired the 20", at least for now. It's several hundred miles away. Also, I highly doubt I could do it anymore, I just googled my neighbors trash can we used to use for measurements lmao. This was a year maybe 2 ago when I was grinding bmx everyday. Now.. I grind mtbing everyday hahaha. Still have love for the 20"s though. My friend who I've been riding with since we were fetuses could also do it, only other person. He could hop on street benches and shit at like 14. Taught me the fine art of giant hops. We started off jumping it on it's side then said fuck it and put it upright one day. Knew it was high but had no idea we were on some legend shit, we both kinda suck at tricks. Also as opposed to a bar or whatever for hop height contests, we were clearing it at the drivetrain area more so than with our wheels. So that certainly cut a couple inches off.

|