Can we please talk about why there are still no good BMX games out there?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2020 5:30 AM

And if you’re first answer is yes the Pipe BMX game then save it because if you ever played it you know it’s really bad?

|

9/26/2020 6:42 AM

Get a ps2 and play the mat Hoffman and Dave Mirra games.

|

It’s all bmx

9/26/2020 7:28 AM

Because you should be riding a bike and not playing video games

|

9/26/2020 9:29 AM

I’m old enough that I just miss playing Paperboy. Never played any of the others. I would like to see something new for BMX along the same lines as the Tony Hawk Pro Skater game. That would be cool, especially when winter hits. I’m guessing the game designers just don’t feel that the demand level is high enough to justify making a new game.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

9/26/2020 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2020 9:47 AM

There's not enough money in it for big companies to develop them. And the overlap between capable independent developers and developers interested in making a BMX game is pretty much non-existent. So you end up with things like BMX The Game. I imagine a BMX game like Skater XL would be significantly more complex, so it's understandable.

|

9/26/2020 10:29 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get a ps2 and play the mat Hoffman and Dave Mirra games.

Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2.

Best game ever.

I still have that game (got it for the OG xbox) and it works on my Xbox 1.

|

9/26/2020 10:31 AM

But, to your point here: Yes, we need a modern "skate" game but for BMX.

I'm guessing that the better BMX games in the future will be coming on mobile, not console, as they are more affordable to produce and it is a smaller market.

Why wont the world generally accept BMX as they have skating? Maybe they would, if there was a cool enough game about it. I mean, how lame is soccer, yet FIFA makes it fun and everyone plays it (not just soccer players).

|

9/26/2020 10:51 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get a ps2 and play the mat Hoffman and Dave Mirra games.

after 400 hours playing it, i can say it’s great, but no it will no do anymore to modern standards.

|

9/26/2020 12:38 PM

Just ride in real life, graphics are nuts, and the physics engine is unreal. Would recommend.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/27/2020 12:24 AM

I dunno man, I enjoy pipe a lot. It’s not on the same level of skate/session/xl, but for a proof of concept put out by one guy, it makes me at least optimistic for the full version. IMO the worst thing about pipe is that it’s effectively a demo.

|

9/27/2020 12:36 AM

same reason theres no skate 4, capitalism bro

|

9/27/2020 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2020 5:40 AM

I reckon the FTL street vids would be an awesome concept for a game.

|

9/27/2020 5:40 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Just ride in real life, graphics are nuts, and the physics engine is unreal. Would recommend.

But I can't triple whip to smith in real life sad

|

9/27/2020 2:40 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

But, to your point here: Yes, we need a modern "skate" game but for BMX.

I'm guessing that the better BMX games in the ...more

Skateboarding and soccer have low entry costs. Kids don’t ride bmx much because it’s expensive, so there’s not much demand for a bmx video game.

|

9/27/2020 3:47 PM

1st dave mirra, way better, a little faster animation wise compared to 2, 2's a little slow feels like slow motion tbh, but pipe is the best to date don't know what planet you're living on to come to the conclusion that it's bad ?.

|

9/27/2020 3:50 PM

BrodieB wrote:

I dunno man, I enjoy pipe a lot. It’s not on the same level of skate/session/xl, but for a proof of concept put out by one ...more

The amount of mods that are available for it turns it into a full fledged game.

|

9/27/2020 4:28 PM

There’s no market for it really. Even skateboarding isn’t as big as it was in the early 2000s. Everyone wore skate clothing, skate shoes and had a complete whether they skated or not so the games were endless. Sometimes I forget how huge skating was.

Granted it’s not just bikers who buy the game. Tony hawk pro skater was played by tons of people who never skated. In fact I got into skating/bmx playing thps and the two bmx series in the early 2000s since my older brother had them for ps1/Dreamcast and he didn’t skate or ride bikes.

Kids today just play whatever game is hyped up at the moment then forget about it a year later. The last like 7 Tony hawk games have been shitty and tbh that engine of gameplay didn’t age well.

Tbh I think the time we would’ve seen a bmx game would’ve been in the late 2000s when bmx was really getting popular. It seemed like more people were buying bikes and Nike 6.0 was around, dc shoes, Levi’s had a bmx team, there were tons more companies, fueltv, xgames, props, magazines all that shit. not to mention how popular EA Skate was.

TLDR: bmx isn’t popular and game companies will make more making some generic game

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/27/2020 4:58 PM

Also there’s better video games in general. Like red dead redemption 2 lol

|

It’s all bmx

9/27/2020 5:40 PM

There’s a game on the App Store called BMX freestyle extreme 3D that’s pretty fun

And pumped BMX is cool too

Console game like skate would be sick but I’m not gonna get my hopes up

|

9/27/2020 7:09 PM

Cellmember wrote:

The amount of mods that are available for it turns it into a full fledged game.

I’m a console pleb so no mods for me

|

9/28/2020 1:30 PM

BrodieB wrote:

I dunno man, I enjoy pipe a lot. It’s not on the same level of skate/session/xl, but for a proof of concept put out by one ...more

Cellmember wrote:

The amount of mods that are available for it turns it into a full fledged game.

Yup. I got a copy of it for my laptop and a few mods later, it's a full game.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/28/2020 1:40 PM

If you mean like a modern Dave Mirra or Mat Hoffman game, you're right. Pipe didn't do it for me. But Pumped is fun af. Until BMX is back in the limelight again like it was back in the early 2000s though, we're not getting a high grade game for awhile. My honest suggestion is either get a PS2 & get the older games since it has backwards compatibility & Tony Hawks American Wasteland for BMX games. Or do emulators. There's a couple good PS1 ones & Dolphin is good for Gamecube games. PS2 emulators are still poo diddly though.

|

9/28/2020 2:11 PM

cky199 wrote:

There’s a game on the App Store called BMX freestyle extreme 3D that’s pretty fun

And pumped BMX is cool too

Console game ...more

Yeah man pumped bmx + is awesome, completely forgot about that game, but it is a side scroller.

|

9/28/2020 2:17 PM

WiteMic wrote:

If you mean like a modern Dave Mirra or Mat Hoffman game, you're right. Pipe didn't do it for me. But Pumped is fun af. Until ...more

pcsx2 is probably the best for ps2 emulation and if you search a certain game there are settings that make it run as best as possible, for each game, which is pretty sweet.

|

9/28/2020 9:24 PM

There's never going to be a good BMX video game. For that to happen, someone who is really into BMX would have to help design it, and anyone who is really into BMX doesn't want to play video games...

Two different cultures, mom's basement, vs reality...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

9/29/2020 2:43 PM

What’s wrong with this?? Photo

|

9/30/2020 4:50 AM

cky199 wrote:

There’s a game on the App Store called BMX freestyle extreme 3D that’s pretty fun

And pumped BMX is cool too

Console game ...more

Cellmember wrote:

Yeah man pumped bmx + is awesome, completely forgot about that game, but it is a side scroller.

TRAILBOSS.

It's pumped, but not a side-scroller.

Get it.

Fun times.


But it also sounds like the developer is playing with some new ideas to get closer to a "console style" game.

Honestly EA should have just taken skate 2 or 3, added a DLC of a BMX dude who can some grinds, like 8 air tricks and manny/nose manny and used that as a way to determine if someone would want it. I would have snapped that up IMMEDIATELY. Then they update with more as time goes on.

Reasonably cheap way to test the waters AND give a new game an option.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/30/2020 6:00 AM

cky199 wrote:

There’s a game on the App Store called BMX freestyle extreme 3D that’s pretty fun

And pumped BMX is cool too

Console game ...more

Cellmember wrote:

Yeah man pumped bmx + is awesome, completely forgot about that game, but it is a side scroller.

dave lawrence wrote:

TRAILBOSS.

It's pumped, but not a side-scroller.

Get it.

Fun times.


But it also sounds like the developer is playing with ...more

Surprised I had to scroll this far to see any love for the Trailboss BMX/Pumped BMX series. Not exactly a console killer but entertaining enough for me at least. Would be rad if the dude who develops that can get something going for console eventually.

|

Style matters