Can you help me pick parts for a new build?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2018 11:41 AM

First build. I cannot decide on a frame, and have looked at a few.
Me: 5'8" 200 lbs so I am thinking 20" to 20.5" TT.

I plan to do some very basic flatland stuff such a whips (no twirly whirly dancing stuff) but I also want to do some jumping and maybe pump around the skatepark (possibly catch a little air). So I think a flatland frame is out. Most of the other frames I looked at have basically the same geometry.

I have a redline 24" asset and its hard for me to manual without the tire 2 feet in the air. I tried my friends 20" and could manual without trying so I know I need smaller bike to learn on. Teh asset 24 is great for riding though, and I can jump over anything on it.

I do think I want to run a gyro but am not opposed to drilling if the right frame found. I also want front and back brakes.

-I was sold on the haro team lineage sport however its heavy for what it is (nearly 6 lbs). I do like the paint job, but for some reason all the haro lineage stuff is super on sale and cant sell...

-So I looked at the hyper wizard in jet fuel. 20.4" TT and Im a cramner fan. its a good frame but Im paying a premium for the look.

-I am now looking at s&m ATF and the Dagger. The ATF has a 20" TT available but no gyro tab mounts. The dagger has a 20.5" TT but a shorter chainstay at 12.8" which is shorter than others Ive seen.

Of course the #1 thing I like about s&m is MADE IN USA.

I am really leaning for the dagger but not sure how a .5" longer headtube vs a shorter chaingstay will affect things.

Once I get a frame:
-Which fork???
-I want CHROME rims, double walled and strong.
-4 piece bars.
As much chrome as possible all around.

Thanks for your help.

|

9/11/2018 11:50 AM

Fbm

|

9/11/2018 11:53 AM

Avoid chrome plated aluminium parts; it flakes off and becomes a nasty mess if you so much as look at it wrong. If you can get high polished parts, go for those instead or get them anodized, raw them and polish them yourself.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/11/2018 12:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fbm

I was in the market for an S&M frame and couldn't find what I wanted exactly. Long story short, if I had to start over completely from scratch building a new frame up, I'd go with FBM.

I think the Steadfast is probably the most all-around Geo they offer with gyro holes. I could be wrong, but that's where I'd go.

Either that or a Soundwave.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/11/2018 12:40 PM

"Very basic flatland tricks such as whips"

Im hoping you mean footjam whips not hop whips. If you're thinking hop whips, good luck. Those arent very basiclaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/11/2018 12:52 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

"Very basic flatland tricks such as whips"

Im hoping you mean footjam whips not hop whips. If you're thinking hop whips, good ...more

I didnt mean to imply that they are easy, but relative to the flatland universe those are "basic" tricks. I just wanted to clarify I am not trying to do super technical flatland stuff meaning I should get a flatland bike. The head tube angles would make it unridable for the other things I want to do.

But yes footjam tail whips is what I mean. A hop whip would be great though lol.

My asset 24" I cant get to whip around as it has over a 15" chainstay and a 22" TT. Too big for me for that stuff.

|

9/11/2018 12:58 PM

screamingtiger wrote:

I didnt mean to imply that they are easy, but relative to the flatland universe those are "basic" tricks. I just wanted to ...more

I would get a Sunday Soundwave V3 frame. I have the V1 that came out in 2014 and its badass!!

|

9/11/2018 1:03 PM

I'd suggest taking it easy with the chrome. Chrome rims are good for brake use. But too much chrome gets boring quick, and you can't do anything about it. At least with a colour you can strip it and re paint it. Plus it's horrible getting glare on a sunny day. But to each his own. Alloy parts (other than rims) are anodized silver, rather than chrome. It actually irks me when someone describes alloy parts as chrome on for sale sites.

The steadfast is nice, just a little too relaxed for me. And gyro tabs are in very limited numbers so it might take a bit of finding. The gypsy has gyro tabs though, and is more of an all rounder. Plus they're the most badass bmx company going.

|

9/11/2018 1:03 PM

I do like that sunday Soundwave v3. Need to see what the shortest TT is I can get.

|

9/11/2018 1:18 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'd suggest taking it easy with the chrome. Chrome rims are good for brake use. But too much chrome gets boring quick, and you ...more

I like the gypsy v3 in 20.5" plus its made in USA and has gyro tabs.

Wheres the best price and which fork would go good on that bike?

|

9/11/2018 1:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'd suggest taking it easy with the chrome. Chrome rims are good for brake use. But too much chrome gets boring quick, and you ...more

screamingtiger wrote:

I like the gypsy v3 in 20.5" plus its made in USA and has gyro tabs.

Wheres the best price and which fork would go good on ...more

Erm, search around for a good price (I'm in the UK), or go directly through fbm (it probably won't be cheaper, but you cut out a shop, so fbm get more money). Powers is a good shop and work pretty closely with fbm. Or support wherever is closest to you. The fbm cb4k's are rad, I've got the 28mm offset. The fbm pma stem, and fbm black flag bars, with an fbm headset would be a solid front end. And you know you're supporting the good guys

|

9/11/2018 2:15 PM

Sunday Soundwave frame with Odyssey R32 or R25 forks

|

9/11/2018 3:12 PM

If you are looking for a short chainstay the streetsweeper goes down to 12.75" slammed. I think they have them in 20.5, 20.75 and 21" some places still have last years raw model too. I had one and learned a lot of tricks on it.

|

9/11/2018 4:08 PM

I’ve got a hyper wizard in jet fuel , it’s fucken sweet , pricey but worth it

|

9/11/2018 5:16 PM

screamingtiger wrote:

First build. I cannot decide on a frame, and have looked at a few.
Me: 5'8" 200 lbs so I am thinking 20" to 20.5" TT.

I plan ...more

GSPORT rims
Sunday or Standard frame
Everything else Odyssey

Thank me later because the quality and warranty go a long way

|

9/11/2018 8:02 PM

Sunday Freeze stem

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/11/2018 8:18 PM

https://www.albes.com/sunday-soundwave-special-2019-bike/

Maybe I'll just get a complete, how's the price

|

9/12/2018 1:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or F25 if he wants to use front brakes

|

Hmmm

9/12/2018 5:55 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

Very nice complete and that's a great price for it. If you can afford it, definitely go for it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/12/2018 5:56 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Or F25 if he wants to use front brakes

I definitely want that fork. I tried to peace together the complete bike using the same components as the complete version but with the f25 fork. It's much cheaper for me to buy the complete and f25 fork and swap it. The bike has over $400 in rims and hubsee on it!

|

9/12/2018 5:57 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Very nice complete and that's a great price for it. If you can afford it, definitely go for it.

Over $400 in rims and hubs. See my post directly above this, it's 500 more to build the bike up.

|

9/12/2018 6:28 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

screamingtiger wrote:

Over $400 in rims and hubs. See my post directly above this, it's 500 more to build the bike up.

Oh, I know. My bike is basically the 2015/16 Soundwave complete but with a few different parts. I had to build it piece by piece because back then I was on a really shit wage and just couldn't afford to buy the whole bike at once. It would've been so much cheaper just to get the complete.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson