Can you powder coat chrome bmx parts

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2014 8:33 PM

I have chrome forks and bars and i want to change them to a gloss black. I dont know much about powder coating but i know its better than spray painting them. So can you powder coat chrome forks and bars? Its not gonna shrink the dropouts or make the parts easier to break or any weird stuff like that right?

|

street

9/29/2014 8:34 PM

i think they need to be bead blasted before you can paint them, but any powdercoating shop should also have a bead blaster

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/29/2014 9:23 PM

ya they can be sand blasted as theyve done it to a guy at a local parks bike and im proba ly gonna do it to frame/forks but its probably better and cheaper just to buy a new pair of bars/forks

|

9/30/2014 4:43 AM

Don't ruin chrome... Ever

|

It’s all bmx

9/30/2014 5:17 AM

Yes you can but if the chrome is in poor condition it wont last or protect the chrome from chipping/peeling. So in the end it will look like double shit.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/30/2014 7:02 AM

If the chrome is peeling or chipping then the chrome has to be completely stripped off, usually has to be stripped chemically by a chroming shop. If the chrome is still in good shape then a quick sandblast is all you'll need before powder. A 2 coat colour might build up in the drop outs but a quick dremal will take care of that. Most powder cures at 400F for 10mins not hot enough to anneal the steel and jeopardize strength of the heat treatment.

|

9/30/2014 2:00 PM

Or go 80's style and two tone chrome/powdercoat combo.

That's what i would do anyway haha.

|