Can't 180 if it depended on my life

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2016 10:09 PM

I have tried so much to 180, I feel like I can't, so I can't commit, I've watched videos, everything. If anyone has any pointers on how to slowly get there it would be greatly appreciated. I am able to do grinds and fakies too if those affect this. Thanks in advance

|

10/26/2016 10:25 PM

try to experiment with diffrent body placement, that helps me in learning almost any trick
if you've watched vids, just think about the tips and commit, you wont die its just 180

|

10/26/2016 10:30 PM

Don't carve too much, that's where most people go wrong

|

10/27/2016 4:26 AM

Okay I'll give that a go today, thanks guys

|

10/27/2016 8:32 AM

I have trouble timing the jump and the carve....like I will either pull up to jump too soon, or too late. It has been killing me all summer. I can get about 90deg going. I feel like i just have to get strong enough to lift the bike longer in the air...

for the pros...is it easier to learn to 180 out of a fakie? My fakies are starting to become more consistent...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/27/2016 8:55 AM

Okay.

Listen up, man.

It's not going to come like that (snaps fingers).

I've been doing 180s for two years and I'm still learning them- I can pull em off, but it aint consistent. I'm trying to really nail 360s now (not the rear tire tap thing, lol), so I kinda understand what you are going thru.

Chill. Chill. Chill.

You said you watched a lot of videos? Well, watch them again. And again. And again. And again. Until you know a few by heart.

Then-this helped me-pretend you know how to 180 and you are filming a How-To. Explain the trick step by step in every way possible.

Then just keep doing them, man. It will hit one day.

One thing that REALLY did help me to pop my first 180 (stoked I have it on film, total facegasm) are small RAMPS. A ledge or something where you can get a bit of air. Not too much to scare the shit out of you. But a little air.

One day it's gonna hit and you're gonna have a facegasm too.

Just keep having fun, and shred. Dont frustrate yourself. It will take you a year. Now go out and hit it-if you forget to even TRY AT LEAST 10 TIMES PER DAY, then forget it.

Consistency, determination, and commitment.

The name of the game in BMX.

(IMO tho... Who thinks it's totally true or I've missed another word?)

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

10/27/2016 9:02 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I have trouble timing the jump and the carve....like I will either pull up to jump too soon, or too late. It has been killing ...more

Definitely NOT A PRO

But just curious-how do you 180 out of a fakie? You mean full cab out of it? I dont see the connection...

|

10/27/2016 11:04 AM

Your not going to learn to 180 with that attitude

|

10/27/2016 11:10 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I have trouble timing the jump and the carve....like I will either pull up to jump too soon, or too late. It has been killing ...more

Skylight wrote:

Definitely NOT A PRO

But just curious-how do you 180 out of a fakie? You mean full cab out of it? I dont see the ...more

I probably mean full cab...I am an old guy so all of the terminology sometimes gets mixed up in my head...

I am also going to try the ramp thing a bit...I have just been practicing from directly out of a hop...like riding into it, but not using anything to gain the first part of the elevation other thna the bunny hop technoque

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

10/27/2016 8:15 PM

Again, thanks guys, I tried some more today, I figured I would try the 180 rotating the other way, I am almost there, probably got to 110 degrees

|

10/28/2016 7:51 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Definitely NOT A PRO

But just curious-how do you 180 out of a fakie? You mean full cab out of it? I dont see the ...more

sXeBMXer wrote:

I probably mean full cab...I am an old guy so all of the terminology sometimes gets mixed up in my head...

I am also going to ...more

sXeBMXer,

Even if you're old, the terminology changes but the tricks stay the same. And personally, for me BMX is rather doing tricks, not naming them.

Sorry if I'm pushing you around, I don't want to be disrespectful, but, man, go out and do shit. No matter is it's wife, child, grandchildren, if Hoffmann can do it with all his bones kept together with screws, then hell any "old" man can.

I say only this tho:

RAMPS ARE THE BEST FOR LEARNING TRICKS.

(My point of view)

What's better is having a 3ft kicker and a big pile of hay to land it (dont ask why).

Proof? I could do full 360s on that thing. ANd heck, here I am, on the ground, knowing I can do a 360 but being held back by the whole bunnyhop motion thingy.

Ramps simplify your work by:

1/Giving you air
2/Giving you time
3/Giving you stocked energy
4/Efficiently converting horizontal energy to vertical energy
5/Helping you pop that rotation

Ramps. Ramps. Ramps.

Riding into it won't cut the cake. If you know what I mean. Especially for people "old" as you. It stresses ligaments, puts strain on bones, and most importantly, makes you groan with pain everytime you wake up in the morning. Yep. The spinal cord. And ramps take all that problem away. Guess you need to land into foam too. Or hay. Or water. But it helps.

SHRED!

PS to all:

I hereby propose turning this thread into a "180 vid" thread. I know it might not please to some to have themselves publicity known (taboo on forums I guess), but it could get some fun and be some motivation to us guys all needing that extra "pop".

Who's in?

|

10/28/2016 10:20 AM

Skylight wrote:

sXeBMXer,

Even if you're old, the terminology changes but the tricks stay the same. And personally, for me BMX is rather ...more

no problem...you aren't being pushy or offensive!!! I like the encouragement...a lot of the younger guys at the park tell me not to puss out, or to "hit it" so I am used to it! Plus I still play hockey so I get crap from those guys as well...

I am definitely going to build a small ramp this weekend. It will be useful for other things as well...I feel like it will allow me to understand the lift eventually so that I can do 180's right off the ground. We have a grassy area that I tend to launch myself into...hard, but not cement.

I am fortunate to still be pretty durable as far as physical health. I nearly dislocated my hip this spring playing hockey, and am honestly surprised that I am able to do anything. It was a pretty gruesome "bend" and I tore pretty much all of the soft and hard tissue...but I have bounced back pretty well for a 47 year old.

I could post vids, but they would be painfull to watch...probably good for analyzation though

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

10/28/2016 12:31 PM

Try doing it faster? Helped me to just put all the moves in a 180 together and just do it very quickly. Also try to achieve getting a sort of "pop" while doing it.

You'll get there . It took me an insane amount of time to get it but i eventually got it.

|

10/29/2016 7:40 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

no problem...you aren't being pushy or offensive!!! I like the encouragement...a lot of the younger guys at the park tell me ...more

If no vids, do post pictures of the build tho.

I for one am always stoked to see stuff being built-it's like riding for me. Always happy to see stuff being created. It's an amazing thing that no one really focuses on anymore these days... Except for traildiggers or park builders... We're getting rarer and rarer!

Gee, ouch for those hips! But hey-no matter if you're 47 or 87, the will is the same... But the body.. Yikes!

I'll try to post a 180 vid+trying 360s vid in the coming days or next weekend. If I do it, you'll do it? I need someone else who's crazy enough to watch ourselves make fools of our skills and having a blast at it. If not, I understand.

|