Can't find a full chromoly in my size.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2020 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 1:20 PM

To start, I am fully grown (35 years old female) at 5'0 with shoes on. About 115lbs. I am having a hard time finding a fully chromoly stock bike or frame in my size. I've found some 20" TT at Sunday and Fitbikeco that have aren't completely chromoly.

Anyone have any recs? or can tell me if Chromoly for my size is really important?

Also, to note I'm beginner/intermediate depending on the trick, I like ramps, but not doing any crazy flips/jumps, too many injuries for that now. I'm just getting back into street riding/skate parks after doing trails and road for the last 20 years.

Thanks!

|

10/14/2020 1:26 PM

I would recommend Kink Bikes.
https://kinkbmx.com/collections/bikes/products/whip-2021

They have some good bikes at a reasonable price that will fit your needs.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/14/2020 1:29 PM

i'm 5'5 and started with a kink whip....it is a 20.5 top tube but i know the frustration, not much out there in a 20 inch size or even 20.25 size anymore

|

10/14/2020 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 1:44 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

I would recommend Kink Bikes.
https://kinkbmx.com/collections/bikes/products/whip-2021

They have some good bikes at a ...more

Thanks, the Curb is the Kink bike that is in my size. Frame: 100% High-Tensile Steel. The whip is going to be too big, it's 20.5".

Edited: Does, look like the Titan II frame is my size.

|

10/14/2020 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 1:49 PM

You'd be pretty safe to go up to 20.6" that should increase your options, obviously anything in between that size to so 20-20.6" GL.

Seeing you're quite light you could easily get away with a non full chromo bike, but if you have the funds and it's not an issue go for full chromo. If you can't find anything in those sizes full chromo which I'm sure you will, then you can settle for hi-ten.

|

10/14/2020 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 1:49 PM

I just surfed through the inventory at DansComp and didn’t see anything that is both full chromoly, AND comes with a 20.0” top tube. It looks like everything that is full chromoly has at least a 20.5” top tube, and everything smaller is either all Hi-Ten, or advertised as chromoly front triangle/chromoly downturns and dropouts/etc. I thought it was tough finding a bike to fit my tall/fat ass. Good luck in the search!

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/14/2020 1:49 PM

younggotti wrote:

i'm 5'5 and started with a kink whip....it is a 20.5 top tube but i know the frustration, not much out there in a 20 inch size ...more

Yeah, disappointing, it looks there was more just a few years ago. I was hoping to find something used too, no luck so far.

|

10/14/2020 1:56 PM

S&M ATF and Whammo are available in 20in tt. Tall Order 187 is available in 19.75in tt (but out of stock right now). Eastern Repeater in 19.69in tt.

There is also custom from Pedal Driven Cycles or Laird.

|

10/14/2020 2:11 PM

Hi ten is going to be heavier overall too, also all the components/parts on any hi ten will likely be lower end compared to the parts on a full moly complete.

That Kink Titan 2 frame would make for an awesome build.. The specs on it are Goldilocks, nothing too short or too long, kinda right in the middle.. You have some colors to choose from too..

Good luck!

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/14/2020 2:22 PM

couple frames here that are 20" and suitable for street/park

http://flatlandfuel.com/frames.aspx

|

It’s all bmx

10/14/2020 3:55 PM

S&M Dagger has a 19" TT

Haro Bastille has a 19.5" TT

Don't ask why I know these things....(I might be short too..)

|

10/14/2020 4:09 PM

If you’re interested in building a custom rather than a complete I have an older 20”tt deco self titled frame w/ matching forks and 8” rise bars I would sell you very cheap + shipping cost. Never ridden hard but it is used and some wear just from age. I just have the stuff sitting and have no use for it cause it’s too small for me and I’d rather see someone use it

|

10/14/2020 4:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 4:22 PM

cky199 wrote:

If you’re interested in building a custom rather than a complete I have an older 20”tt deco self titled frame w/ matching ...more

I've never built a bike before, but if I can't find what I am looking for, I'd have to build my own. I'm interested in seeing pics and getting specs. I'm really new to the forum, but I assume you are able to message me everything or send an email? Thanks!

And thank you everyone for the replies, I've been looking up every frame posted. Bookmarked some.

|

10/14/2020 4:44 PM

cky199 wrote:

If you’re interested in building a custom rather than a complete I have an older 20”tt deco self titled frame w/ matching ...more

BMXMagnus wrote:

I've never built a bike before, but if I can't find what I am looking for, I'd have to build my own. I'm interested in seeing ...more

The folks on this forum are exceptionally helpful. From what I’ve seen, you won’t get a lot of “ignore the noob” treatment here. People seem to actually enjoy encouraging one another. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone local to you doesn’t offer to walk you through a build.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/14/2020 4:50 PM

I’m riding an Eastern Repeater in 19.69” right now, same weight as you, and I’m 5’, 7”, so for you it’d fit well. If you don’t end up with a complete bike, you have my recommendation for this frame!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/14/2020 5:59 PM

BMXMagnus wrote:

To start, I am fully grown (35 years old female) at 5'0 with shoes on. About 115lbs. I am having a hard time finding a fully ...more

why not run a flatland frame? you'd be surprised a lot of flat frames have the same geometry as street frames except a short top tube. which is what you are looking for..

Haro La Bastille in 19.5
http://flatlandfuel.com/harolabastillemattiasdandoissignatureframe.aspx

Jungle Rider in 19.2
http://flatlandfuel.com/jungleridermkframe.aspx

Far East Cyclkes Turbo frame here for $150. 18.8"
https://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=66773.0

not sure how short you want to go. I imagine if 21" is standard for 6'0 you could go 18.5 and not have an issue.

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

T34416L3 TW1N5 - Terrible Twins (Twin Terrible One Barcodes) Brakes/Brakeless T1

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims
WTB: Chrome F25 fork

10/14/2020 6:00 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I’m riding an Eastern Repeater in 19.69” right now, same weight as you, and I’m 5’, 7”, so for you it’d fit well. If you don’t ...more

you're seven inches taller.. I mean its an option but if it fits you "well" id think it'd be long for her

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

T34416L3 TW1N5 - Terrible Twins (Twin Terrible One Barcodes) Brakes/Brakeless T1

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims
WTB: Chrome F25 fork

10/14/2020 6:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 6:08 PM

A08 wrote:

you're seven inches taller.. I mean its an option but if it fits you "well" id think it'd be long for her

Yes, which is why I said for her it’d fit well. Technically this doesn’t fit me well, I just prefer it, which is why I recommend it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/14/2020 6:20 PM

cky199 wrote:

BMXMagnus wrote:

I've never built a bike before, but if I can't find what I am looking for, I'd have to build my own. I'm interested in seeing ...more

I sent you a PM which should go directly to your email

There are definitely options out there for you, just might take a little longer to find what you’re looking for. All the posts here seem to be steering your in the right direction for sure

|

10/14/2020 9:02 PM

You could go the second hand route. I built my son a custom with a 20” tt federal Hamilton frame. I literally bought 3 bikes second hand (one was from the early 2000’s), built a decent bike for him, sold the rest in parts and basically got a free bike.

But, you’ll likely be fine with hi ten. It’s not gonna snap from dropping off a kerb. And if you decide you want to keep at it you can upgrade in the future

|

10/15/2020 2:23 AM

At your height and weight as a beginner/intermediate like you’re saying, full chromoly isn’t crazy important. Maybe down the road if you start going ham you can look into something a little stronger. If it helps at all, my fiancé was in the same boat. She’s 5’2 and also about 115lb, beginner, wanted something to ride with me. We went with the WeThePeople CRS complete for her. It’s a 20.25 frame, chromoly front triangle but not the rear end so a good mix of strong and budget friendly. The whole complete was around 400, which was easy on the wallet for something to get her into it. Especially compared to the money I spend on bikes lol. She loves everything about it, it came in this cool purple color too. Good luck, let us know what you get!

|

10/15/2020 5:59 AM

BMXMagnus wrote:

Probably the easiest way to do it, if you don't want to spend effort on picking out parts, is to order a parts kit like this. I think some other companies make one.

https://tallorderbmx.com/collections/bmx/products/tall-order-pro-bike-parts-kit-black

Or probably the cheapest way, find a nice used custom like from the for sale forum or locally and just swap everything from that frame to your new one (I'd think you would just want a new bottom bracket). Then sell the old frame.

|

10/15/2020 7:17 AM

93EXCivic wrote:

Probably the easiest way to do it, if you don't want to spend effort on picking out parts, is to order a parts kit like this. ...more

Thanks for that. That actually makes things a lot easier if I just go with a frame.

|