Can’t get hub tight?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/30/2018 8:24 PM

Hey guys, so I have this loose ball hub, and before you say anything about getting a new hub, beilieve me, I did. I was overhauling it the other day and realized that the bearings won’t sit in the cup properly. With the cone properly tightened there is still lots of play coming from axle. Any ideas or solutions?Photo

Photo

|

1/30/2018 8:27 PM

Idk man... I thought you got the Primo wheel off Offer up didn't you?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/30/2018 9:31 PM

since it's a loose ball it could be a few different things... is the axle bent? could be that. more likely it's probably got damaged bearing seats/cones, or chipped balls, and something's not sitting right

|

1/30/2018 10:24 PM

The bearings aren't in the hub properly. Looks like they're sitting in the dust cover of the cone

|

1/30/2018 11:27 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Hey guys, so I have this loose ball hub, and before you say anything about getting a new hub, beilieve me, I did. I was ...more

I don't see a bearing cone nut that goes into the bearing before the lock nut

|

1/31/2018 12:16 AM

oh yeah, I barely even looked at the photos so I missed that... completely missing the bearing cone that goes in between the jam nut and the bearing. there's your problem

|

1/31/2018 5:42 AM

Just curious.... but did you happen to assemble the cone nut underneath the dust cap? That's what it looks like (to me) & now the dust cap is being held off from being pressed all the way in by the cone nut. It should be assembled in order like the top picture image (sorry for the crudeness of the drawling)

Photo

|

1/31/2018 6:05 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just curious.... but did you happen to assemble the cone nut underneath the dust cap? That's what it looks like (to me) & ...more

To me, it looks like he's put the cone in backwards up against the race, put the ball bearings in and tightened the jam nut up against them. That outside nut in the picture looks like the nut that goes outside the dropout and tightens the wheel in place.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/31/2018 7:17 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

To me, it looks like he's put the cone in backwards up against the race, put the ball bearings in and tightened the jam nut up ...more

Of course, that outside nut is a wheel-to-frame/fork fastener. I'm just wondering why the dust cap is out so far. If the cone nut isn't the sort that can pass directly thru the dust cap completely, & is under the dust cap, you couldn't properly adjust the axle. I think we need to see the whole wheel (axle, cones, jam nuts, bearings, dust caps, washers) all out & in one photo. Along with a pic of the bearing races.

|

1/31/2018 7:45 AM

In other words...

How in the hell didja get the beans above the frank?!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/31/2018 8:17 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

In other words...

How in the hell didja get the beans above the frank?!

Pretty much

|

1/31/2018 8:48 AM

The cone nut can go completely through the dust cap, so when I tighten the cone nut it just disappears in the dust cap. Should I try to assemble it without the dust cap and see if that helps?

|

1/31/2018 8:50 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just curious.... but did you happen to assemble the cone nut underneath the dust cap? That's what it looks like (to me) & ...more

Actually I assembled it correctly, but the dust cap is so large that it just causes the nut to fall through every time.

|

1/31/2018 9:12 AM

WildeB33st wrote:

The cone nut can go completely through the dust cap, so when I tighten the cone nut it just disappears in the dust cap. Should ...more

Can you take the axle out, assemble it as if it were in the hub and post a picture of it? Just to make sure you have everything in the right orientation and order.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/31/2018 9:26 AM

WildeB33st wrote:

Actually I assembled it correctly, but the dust cap is so large that it just causes the nut to fall through every time.

The dust cap SHOULD press into place and stay there. Sometimes they work their way out but the should stay in.

|

1/31/2018 11:26 AM

Ok so the dust cap presses into the cup with the bearings in it, and then the cone nut goes on? I will take it apart later but I am trying to figure out what is happening still.

|

1/31/2018 11:32 AM

WildeB33st wrote:

Ok so the dust cap presses into the cup with the bearings in it, and then the cone nut goes on? I will take it apart later but ...more

Yes... take a finger full of grease, slather it on the hub bearing race. Then set your bearings in place (make sure you are putting in the correct number & not adding or subtracting one). Then press in the dust cap. Feed your axle with one cone nut, etc... through from the other side (after you have done the same to the other side) & then assemble the cone nut, washer & jam nut to the other end.

|

1/31/2018 1:19 PM

Ok so I took what you guys said and reordered the axle. It worked, but after adjusting the cone nuts there is still play on the left side, any reason for this?Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2018 2:13 PM

There's still play but only on one side?

|

1/31/2018 2:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2018 2:40 PM

Is the axle centered? Did you change the axle? It should be centered with equal amounts from each side. If you can't get it figured out, I'd pull it apart again & be sure the threads aren't fucked at the center toward the bearing cups. Speaking of bearing cups, were they ok? You should be able to tighten them to the point that your wheel hardly moves (not that you should purposely do that).

|

1/31/2018 2:22 PM

Can you tighten the cones anymore..its good to have a spanner or pedal wrench to lock the nuts together

|

1/31/2018 2:53 PM

Lastly, was it tight & you decided you fix it? Is is possible that the hub destroyed itself?

|