Carbon Bmx Rim

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2020 3:49 PM

Weight weenies incoming, was just cruising online and found an Alienation Carbon Rim. This is cool. Wonder how well it'll hold up.

What do you humans think.

https://www.alienationbmx.com/portfolio/acme-carbon

|

9/21/2020 4:06 PM

Hard nope for freestyle. I’m guessing it’s intended for racing? I could be wrong.

I’d never ever ride it. My rims get too dinged up so it wouldn’t last long for that reason alone.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

9/21/2020 4:42 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Hard nope for freestyle. I’m guessing it’s intended for racing? I could be wrong.

I’d never ever ride it. My rims get too dinged up so it wouldn’t last long for that reason alone.

That's what I'm thinking, gotta see it in action see how it goes.

|

9/21/2020 4:46 PM

Cellmember wrote:

That's what I'm thinking, gotta see it in action see how it goes.

I’m sure we’ll see fail video of it at some point, I don’t know the most about carbon fiber but something tells me it probably won’t stand up to the rigors of freestyle bmx

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

9/21/2020 6:45 PM

I'd eat my own ass before I touch an Alienation product.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/21/2020 7:07 PM

Pretty sure Scotty and BK are riding some right now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/21/2020 7:21 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Fact^

|

9/21/2020 7:29 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Yeah just saw that, but BK and Scotty aren't really doing anything crazy.

|

9/21/2020 7:59 PM

Could be ok for trails and skateparks if you ride smooth and weigh less than 220lbs

|

It’s all bmx

9/21/2020 8:20 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Could be ok for trails and skateparks if you ride smooth and weigh less than 220lbs

I was thinking the same, people use carbon rims in mountain biking all the time. It has its benefits for sure, but grinding I think would be a big nope

|

Come back with a warrant.

9/22/2020 2:33 AM

A mate of mine is running carbon rims front and rear, (Avian maybe? Or spectre) and he’s a pretty full on ripper. Reckons he’s had no dramas at all. Fuck that though

|

9/22/2020 4:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2020 4:30 AM

Eclat is about to toss theirs into production, and a guy I know has been running a tester set for like 6 months. He's like 6'3", rides like a maniac and has snapped Wombolts, Twombolts AND Thunderbolts like nothing. Seems to be a solid rim so far.

If downhill MTB can run carbon frames, bars, cranks and wheels and it LASTS, why can't we? I'm sure there will be a pretty obvious "peg use could cause damage that would not be warrantied" warning (assuming there would be a warranty that is). Honestly pegs use causing rim hits are about the ONLY think I could see being a devastating impact besides tire pressure being way too low or some wacky landing sideways issue. Maybe a bike throw?

But this will pretty easily shave 1/4 LB per wheel (if not more) making throwing the bike around that much easier.

I think BMX is on the verge of a new tech that will change the game-just like integrated headsets, going to 1 1/8th, and sealed bearings. Maybe even as much as plastic pegs/pedals.

MARK MY WORDS-Carbon freestyle frames are coming-aimed at trails and pegless park guys first, then they will use some of the downhill MTB tech to have "guards" that spread forces out to protect parts for "light peg use". I give it LESS than 5 years. Carbon race frames have been around since about 2011 or so with Project 79 from Redline being the first "production" model dropped. Since then the tech and carbon layup has gotten SO much better.

I told you guys several different times that freestyle was going to dabble in Carbon, and no one believed me-lots of "no that will never happen" "carbon is weak and will snap immediately" blah blah blah (insert random photo or video of carbon parts snapping with zero context as to how nutty it was that caused the issue)

Watch this and then remember that this was THREE YEARS AGO and the research, development and tech have gotten SO much better in that time.

Just you wait.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2020 4:21 AM

I know this is a thing in a race but I didnt know they used it for anything else

|

U WOT M9

9/22/2020 4:54 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Eclat is about to toss theirs into production, and a guy I know has been running a tester set for like 6 months. He's like 6'3", rides like a maniac and has snapped Wombolts, Twombolts AND Thunderbolts like nothing. Seems to be a solid rim so far.

If downhill MTB can run carbon frames, bars, cranks and wheels and it LASTS, why can't we? I'm sure there will be a pretty obvious "peg use could cause damage that would not be warrantied" warning (assuming there would be a warranty that is). Honestly pegs use causing rim hits are about the ONLY think I could see being a devastating impact besides tire pressure being way too low or some wacky landing sideways issue. Maybe a bike throw?

But this will pretty easily shave 1/4 LB per wheel (if not more) making throwing the bike around that much easier.

I think BMX is on the verge of a new tech that will change the game-just like integrated headsets, going to 1 1/8th, and sealed bearings. Maybe even as much as plastic pegs/pedals.

MARK MY WORDS-Carbon freestyle frames are coming-aimed at trails and pegless park guys first, then they will use some of the downhill MTB tech to have "guards" that spread forces out to protect parts for "light peg use". I give it LESS than 5 years. Carbon race frames have been around since about 2011 or so with Project 79 from Redline being the first "production" model dropped. Since then the tech and carbon layup has gotten SO much better.

I told you guys several different times that freestyle was going to dabble in Carbon, and no one believed me-lots of "no that will never happen" "carbon is weak and will snap immediately" blah blah blah (insert random photo or video of carbon parts snapping with zero context as to how nutty it was that caused the issue)

Watch this and then remember that this was THREE YEARS AGO and the research, development and tech have gotten SO much better in that time.

Just you wait.

I think the limiting factor will be cost honestly. Personally not super concerned with weight, and I think 10-12kg is a sweet spot for freestyle bikes (I acknowledge that I can be a bit of a troglodyte though) so I don't think I'll ever be that fussed, but there are absolutely dudes who will be all about it. BMX as an industry is notoriously cheap though, and if carbon parts aren't competitively priced then they'll push themselves into a rich kid/pro rider niche.

|

9/22/2020 6:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2020 6:45 AM

BrodieB wrote:

I think the limiting factor will be cost honestly. Personally not super concerned with weight, and I think 10-12kg is a sweet spot for freestyle bikes (I acknowledge that I can be a bit of a troglodyte though) so I don't think I'll ever be that fussed, but there are absolutely dudes who will be all about it. BMX as an industry is notoriously cheap though, and if carbon parts aren't competitively priced then they'll push themselves into a rich kid/pro rider niche.

This is exactly true. Same with Ti parts. 98% or riders won't pay $70 just for Ti spokes to save a bit of weight. Carbon is going to fall under the same category I'd reckon.

|

9/22/2020 7:18 AM

profile minis with full ti upgrade, ti spokes, carbon rims.

|

9/22/2020 8:39 AM

BrodieB wrote:

I can agree to that. If there is more of a benefit than just some weight savings, then I could see them being pretty big. Especially with Scotty and his crew toying with them.

I mean in the last 5 years cranks went from 110 to around 150. Rims maxed out around 70, I see some for 90 now. Frames were 300-350 5ish years ago, now you are within 50 bucks of a Lairdframe when you get a factory spec'd setup.

I could see these rims being between 120-175ish per rim. I could also see them being big in park style riding, and eventually making their way into street if pricing isn't too crazy.

I honestly am excited to see what comes out in the next few years. I think we should be looking at some of the downhill MTB tech and exploring it. I know WTP had tapered headtubes for a bit, I could see that being a bigger thing in time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2020 8:41 AM

Michael Cranston wrote:

RNC cranks and sprocket.

KHE Mac folding tires.

Super thin PC pedals

One piece seat.post.

Straight cable

I bet someone could and will get a bike down to around 15 lbs. It will probably be BK on Scotty's channel.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2020 9:04 AM

Michael Cranston wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

RNC cranks and sprocket.

KHE Mac folding tires.

Super thin PC pedals

One piece seat.post.

Straight cable

I bet someone could and will get a bike down to around 15 lbs. It will probably be BK on Scotty's channel.

Flatland already doing it. Viki Gomez at 6kg (14 something) with pegs with alot of ti parts. Says he's not going back to chromoly.

|

9/22/2020 9:23 AM

pnfdog wrote:

Flatland already doing it. Viki Gomez at 6kg (14 something) with pegs with alot of ti parts. Says he's not going back to chromoly.

Dang that would be great for flatland.

Is there a bike check somewhere? I could only find one from 2014.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/22/2020 12:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

RNC cranks and sprocket.

KHE Mac folding tires.

Super thin PC pedals

One piece seat.post.

Straight cable

pnfdog wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Dang that would be great for flatland.

Is there a bike check somewhere? I could only find one from 2014.

He had a video on his IG a couple weeks ago in Spanish. Ti bars, frame, forks, cranks. Probably a $5000 bike....

|

9/22/2020 1:34 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just you wait.

Watched this video when it first released, was super impressed how that thing held up, completely forgot about it though, I think you may be right. It'll definitely be a nice step forward.

|

9/22/2020 1:37 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

You forgot tubilos and foldings under 14oz though. tongue

|

9/22/2020 1:42 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I'd eat my own ass before I touch an Alienation product.

Package incoming. smile

|

9/22/2020 1:45 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

You forgot tubilos and foldings under 14oz though. tongue

oh yeah i did haha. that would make it even better.

|

9/23/2020 3:29 AM

Eclat has just released a carbon rim I saw on Instagram

|

U WOT M9

9/23/2020 11:07 AM

I built up a set of prototype alienation rims at the grands race last year for someone on their team. I’m really impressed with the rims as far as the design of them and how they feel in your hands goes. They build up waayyy easier than regular carbon rims. Most carbon rims like E6 or 44bmx have big oval shaped chambers in them but these alienation have a much more square edge shape more similar to a standard bmx rim. It makes it a lot easier to get spokes and nipples in and they true up way better. For racing, i’m stoked these are round, even though they cost like $375 PER RIM!!! I also built up a set of these to profile mini with ti upgrades and ti spokes last week for a park bike. I could see them working for only the smoothest of freestyle riders. Like you better really take care of your shit if you are gonna flair with this things. I just don’t see them being practical for normal riders. People that don’t have unlimited funds, ever land sideways, grind, don’t know how to work on their bike, these probably won’t work great for you.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/23/2020 11:10 AM

Keep in mind i’ve also seen a good number of carbon rims explode a sidewall off just from racing. If someone bumps you, or if you case a jump. These things just have complete and total failures. No flat spots, no dents you can keep riding with just to get by. When carbon rims break, they fucking BREAK!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/23/2020 11:58 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I built up a set of prototype alienation rims at the grands race last year for someone on their team. I’m really impressed with the rims as far as the design of them and how they feel in your hands goes. They build up waayyy easier than regular carbon rims. Most carbon rims like E6 or 44bmx have big oval shaped chambers in them but these alienation have a much more square edge shape more similar to a standard bmx rim. It makes it a lot easier to get spokes and nipples in and they true up way better. For racing, i’m stoked these are round, even though they cost like $375 PER RIM!!! I also built up a set of these to profile mini with ti upgrades and ti spokes last week for a park bike. I could see them working for only the smoothest of freestyle riders. Like you better really take care of your shit if you are gonna flair with this things. I just don’t see them being practical for normal riders. People that don’t have unlimited funds, ever land sideways, grind, don’t know how to work on their bike, these probably won’t work great for you.

I think Alienation rims which are only slightly heavier and way cheaper and more durable are a better way to go.

|

9/23/2020 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2020 1:30 PM

racecars have carbon fiber brake discs. gigantic loads and temps almost as hot as the freaking sun.

titanium is the future though.

|