Cassette Hub Problems

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2016 9:52 PM

Hello, Vital BMX member!

I have my old Mission React cassette hub that I haven't used in quite some time, and when I decided to start running 2 rear pegs (I have a longer axle on this hub compared to the one I use now) and put the wheel on, the problems arose.

There is a feeling of the wheel "locking up" when I apply a decent amount of pressure. Best way I can think of explaining is when I got to pedal forwards with decent pedal pressure, it feels like I'm pulling my brake lever and trying to stop, but in reality I'm not even touching my lever. HOWEVER, when I just lightly push forwards on my pedals, it will work just fine, like a normal hub. But this is seriously irritating having to slowly start up like a huge semi-truck and increase pedal speed very... slowly... as I... want to... move forwards. Who the heck wants to ride like that?

Everything having to do with fakies and pedaling backwards causes no problems at all in the hub, though. I'm 100% positive it's the hub, too. I've tried changing the chain, driver, and even rebuilt my drivetrain with my current problem-free wheel set-up. It's the hub.

Is it the bearings in the hub? That's the only thing I can think of. If so, I'll have to take it to my local shop where a friend works, so it won't be too costly. ANY help is much appreciated! Thanks! :D

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/15/2016 10:12 PM

Could be driver or drive side hub bearings. Only real way of knowing is to strip it and physically check

|