Cassette choice, help me!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2021 3:41 PM

Hi guys! I was thinking of buying a new cassette hub and was between two options: Shadow Symbol and Cinema VX3 .. I know that the Cinema comes with the SDS system and the driver bearings are ceramic, while the Shadow has a traditional one-sided system with normal bearings. In your opinion, which one could work better? I'm interested in it being sturdy and working well with pegs. The sound doesn't matter to me. Thanks guys! wink

|

9/22/2021 4:02 PM

When I had the Shadow cassette it was great. I prefer the Animal Javelin but the Symbol is a close second.

|

9/22/2021 4:52 PM

I don’t know much about the cinema but if I buy a cassette it’s going to be the shadow symbol, I have a front symbol and have zero complaints

|

9/22/2021 6:02 PM

Great guys, your opinion is very useful to me. I plan to have this hub for a long time.

|

9/22/2021 8:33 PM

I have a symbol cassette wheel and haven’t had any issues in the year I’ve had it.

|

9/22/2021 9:30 PM

My bsd street pro rear hub still goes after a couple of years but has a slight quarter inch wobble. I just torque the pawls back to keep her mint

|

My mom thinks I’m special

9/22/2021 10:31 PM

I really like the Animal Javelin, but my favorite is the GSPORT Roloway: tough, light, female, easy to switch drive sides/maintain.

|

9/23/2021 4:06 AM

I’ve never heard anyone say anything positive about any cinema hubs, so if those are your two options then go the Shadow

|

9/23/2021 6:50 AM

GSPORT & BSD ...

|

9/23/2021 7:01 AM

the only cassette i have ever seen break for no reason (twice) was from stolen.

i have a $129 mission complete that's hub seems unstoppable. its my loaner wheel for all my friends after i ran it for a few years.

|

9/23/2021 8:30 AM

BrodieB wrote:

I’ve never heard anyone say anything positive about any cinema hubs, so if those are your two options then go the Shadow

I loved my cinema front hub but how do you fuck up a front hub

|

9/23/2021 1:31 PM

BrodieB wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I loved my cinema front hub but how do you fuck up a front hub

grinding or just leaving it out in the rain i guess, never underestimate a kids ability to fuck something up lmao

|

It’s all bmx

9/23/2021 2:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2021 8:40 PM

I've had mixed luck with SDS style hubs. The engagement feels kinda sloppy and the tolerances seem off. Not a ton of wear on the hub and the bearings started to feel crunchy almost instantly. If it were me I'd probably give the Shadow hub a try if that Cinema cassette is anything like the other SDS I've messed with.

|

9/23/2021 2:42 PM

I love my g-sport ratchet. Also really like my odyssey hazard cassette v3.

Never ridden any of their more modern stuff but always liked their older stuff.

|

9/23/2021 3:25 PM

gotta give a shout to the Odyssey Antigram. Haven't had a single issue in 4 years. Switchable drive side. it's similar to the ratchet i believe.

|

9/24/2021 1:21 PM

below the salt wrote:

gotta give a shout to the Odyssey Antigram. Haven't had a single issue in 4 years. Switchable drive side. it's similar to the ...more

I can also vouch for the antigram. Also had mine for about 4 years. The c clip popped off the collar so my driver flopped around not long after I got it, but since putting it back on I've had 0 issues, and have switched sides a few times. The only downside I'd say is that it's over complicated compared to more traditional hubs, so if you have a problem it's more of a ball ache to fix. But 17mm female axle and lifetime warranty on all internals can't be sniffed at

|

9/24/2021 1:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2021 1:52 PM

I ride the VX3. I grind on metal pegs over brick and concrete so take that as you will. It holds up to my 120lb self. Never seen an Odyssey rear hub that wasn't fucked up. The Animal Javelin is great.

|

9/24/2021 2:31 PM

BrodieB wrote:

On the flip side, I've never heard anything negative about them either.

Two more words - Nathan Williams

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

9/26/2021 4:31 PM

I’ve seriously only ever ran primo mix/remix cassettes. Ran a poverty coaster back in like 2008 the only time I switched it up. Only ever had a problem with the 8tooth drivers. There was a small bushing near the bearing that would blow out . The 9tooth drivers are bomb proof . No hubguards . Right side drive . Right side grinder. Heavy street use.

|

9/27/2021 7:56 AM

G-Sport Roloway Cassette!!!

|

9/27/2021 7:53 PM

I give a vote for the Tree Bicycle co Cassette.

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99, skribblez32, northeastern25

9/30/2021 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2021 2:32 PM

E440 Seismic. That being said, I just got a Shadow Symbol cassette for my Darkwave build in the mail today. So stocked smile.

|

10/1/2021 11:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2021 11:50 AM

get a hub that uses joytech internals, that way if you blow a driver, finding a replacement is ez.
or odyssey/gsport cause their warranty dept is aight

|

wallride a bus everyday