Cassette cog assistance! Please

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2013 10:30 AM

Hey folks, so I have a Haro(I think) and the hub, while is a Haro, sports a "Formula" cassette cog set-up. Now, I used to ride back when I was 16-17, and I am 31 now; I am the one guy who knows what you are talking about, even if I can't apply anything......I get the concept of the cassette cog system(by the way, this is a 14mm set-up), but when your axle is constantly coming loose....what do you do? I can only take of the wheel and re-tighten so many times. I don't even actually do any cool tricks(save for some gaps and barspins) anymore, I really am just interested in going as fast as I can and watching the look on those spandex-ed douchers as they roll down the street.....what am I doing for this to happen so consistently? "Because it's a Haro" is a perfectly acceptable answer. Thanks guys.
Jimmy

|

9/27/2013 10:39 AM

more info on the hub, m8? Unsealed or sealed bearings and driver bearings? 1pc driver (8-10t) or an actual cog? and how often does it come loose?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/27/2013 10:43 AM

do you have a driver set-up or one of these:

Photo

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 10:52 AM

It's a cassette, Tremelosmile um, I tightened it this Monday, and I am at work and about to tighten it again. I have had it for 3 weeks now and this will be occasion 3. I will actually snap a picture of it and have it up in a few minutes. It is a 13t, now I know the lowest is 25-9; there is an 8??? Damn, the tension on that poor chain.....I feel secure with my 36-13 hahaha

|

9/27/2013 11:03 AM

Yeah I run 25/8, had 22/8 before. If its unsealed, you might have some blown bearings. If its sealed, its less likely. Snap pics of the inside of the hub

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/27/2013 11:06 AM

^this

remember to score new bearings (if needed) from a motor, bearing shop or hardware store direct. Do not go to a bike shop where they cost 2x as much

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 11:25 AM

Ok, some pics for you all. An unsealed cassette cog....son of a bitch. Might be the case. Here are 4, I don't have the time to take apart the hub right now; yeah, you can see that metal ring NOT wanting to stay put. That comes off and the axles starts to loosen itself up.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/27/2013 11:34 AM

Looks pretty rough. I had a Alienation wheel unsealed before I knew anything about working on bikes and it did the same. I thought it jyst kept coming loose. Took it to a shop eventually and turns out the bearings were turned completely into metal shavings. I'd just invest in a sealed hub. Ill sell you a sealed hubset if interested

|

9/27/2013 11:40 AM

Here is just 2 more, I feel that's all we need for meow. It has ball bearings, so I will assume it's an unsealed cassette....what a tease!! Photo

Photo

|

9/27/2013 11:47 AM

Buy my primo hubs! wink

|

9/27/2013 11:51 AM

Oh my. So, if you look at the first set of 4 pics, on the 3rd one, you might note a nice chunk of solidified grease sorta hanging out there underneath the metal ring that's popping out. Well, I was just puttin' my shit back on, and I took out that chunk, and.....look what I found what it really was!!! Yeah I have no money for anything, hence me adopting this thing hahahaha

|

9/27/2013 11:54 AM

whoops, here it is Photo

|

9/27/2013 11:57 AM

make sure you have a cone wrench so you can get proper bind on those nuts when you have it adjusted tight

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 11:58 AM

lol, just saw that pic. Never mind about the cone wrench

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 12:00 PM

bizarro82 wrote:

whoops, here it is Photo

is that a piece of the bearing ring next to the grease? Kinda looks indented like a race

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2013 12:14 PM

FUCK ME!!!! I just totally opened up a Pandora's box with this hub!!!! So NOW, I just almost frisbee'd the damn wheel across the room cuz NOW I am trying to simply tighten her back up like normal(after I *ahem* took the hub apart to show you the insides), except it is either too loose, or after less then a 1/4 turn, something in there makes it semi-seize. Not going to ride her until I get this figured out. I can't afford a new hub, if I go for a hub, I may go for an entire new wheel set-up, since the rim is straight but has a lot of curb-checks lining the tire, as well as because the spokes are all compromised. Whoever had this bike did NOT take care of it. And it DOES totally look like a race. Maybe after I exploded it even that little bit, that was enough for it to....shake and tremble. Shite.

|

9/27/2013 12:19 PM

that sounds like the race exploded and now the bearings have no where to seat properly/aligned. Bearings are prolly just jamming against the hub shell and/or cassette assembly without that lil piece that fell out.

It's better it happened trying to scope it out rather than out on the road somewheres. A seized wheel makes for a long walk

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 12:22 PM

I am pretty sure that's what it is. Boy, Friday. Now I discovered my new 990's might not fit, either, the bosses have this odd taper so the things can only slide halfway down the boss! Wtf?? hahahahaha maaaan here we go

|

9/27/2013 12:27 PM

What the hell?????Photo

|

9/27/2013 12:33 PM

Maann. I think you just need a new bike bud!

|

9/27/2013 12:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2013 12:41 PM

NOOOO I don't wanna!!! I like working with what I got hahaha Besides, I adopted this thing, plus part of my job is fixing bikes up for the homeless kids here; giving up on this would be like giving up on one of my kids just because they have a broken leg. Anyways...well I originally wanted to trade it for a same-quality(HA!!!) 24-incher, but.......shit. If I can get the back wheel situation taken care of, I am totally content with that. As far as the brakes go, well....I like my shoes, but I can handle that. As long as my unsealed bottom bracket(3p) stays put(and it has!! thank god!!), then the bike itself is just fine for what I do(which isn't much). Just that damn back wheel. Anyone in Eugene, OR?

|

9/27/2013 4:16 PM

check ebay for cheap hubs/wheels. i blew out my hub right around my birthday thank god and i got a primo remix

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me