Cassette hub problems...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/16/2016 1:26 PM

Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a new bike and I was planning on using my old hubs but now I am afraid that I can't.

First I started with cleaning my hubs and regreasing them, nothing too serious here, only a lot of dirt came out of my fronthub and some metal shavings, surprisingly enough this isn't the hub I am experiencing trouble with..

My rear cassette hub is ghost pedalling and if I keep the pedals stil, the wheel stops rather quickly.

I have tried repeating the process, taking the hub apart even further, cleaning it more and regreasing it, also tried with little grease, also with more grease, been there one too mnay times already.
Also I tried changing how tight the nuts are on the driver to give it some more play, this helps slightly but even if I leave it not touching the driver the problem occurs.

So long story short, cassette is ghost pedalling and stopping quickly.

(Sidenote: I've had this hub for 1,5 years, cleaned it roughly twice.)

Thanks for your help, it is quite urgent since I will be receiving my new sunday frame soon and want to have everything ready.

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

11/16/2016 3:32 PM

Sounds like you're missing a spacer somewhere, so the bearings are running against each other (between the hub bearing and driver maybe?)

|

11/16/2016 11:32 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds like you're missing a spacer somewhere, so the bearings are running against each other (between the hub bearing and ...more

I believe I got that spacer in too, it goes in before the driver and the driver slides over it, this is between the bearings of the hub and driver.

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

11/17/2016 1:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2016 1:14 PM

&feature=youtu.be

Here a video to clarify my problem, help is really much appreciated!
|

11/17/2016 1:57 PM

Did you take the bearings out? If so, how? And how did you put them back in? Could be that the bearings aren't seated properly

|

11/17/2016 2:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Did you take the bearings out? If so, how? And how did you put them back in? Could be that the bearings aren't seated properly ...more

I didn't take the bearings out.

Didn't know how and didn't really feel comfortable trying yet, also didn't feel as if it were necessary.

|

11/17/2016 11:06 PM

ghost pedalling check your ratchet ring, springs and pawls, something isnt engaging properly, as for slow spinning, sounds like the bearings are worn, do they feel grindy when you spin them by hand?

|