Cassette hubs

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2016 2:28 PM

Hey all, I am planning on building a new rear wheel. I ride street and do lots of grinds and drops. I am wanting a cassette that will hold up to all the abuse I could ever throw at it. I was looking at the odyssey antigram the primo remix or the Merritt non stop cassette. I am not sure on the strength of female axles as rear axles so if anybody knows about this that would be great. Also all of those hubs have a hollow axle and I tend to bend and break hollow axles really quickly. So I was wondering if there were and really good solid axle hubs out there or if you have any suggestions on what cassette to get. All input is appreciated. Thanks

|

9/21/2016 3:27 PM

I can't say much for brands with durable cassette hubs (I rarely run pegs/guards), but I definitely recommend solid male axles.

I ride with street riders 95% of the time. there aren't many "park" parks around here in Hawai'i. I'm a pegless rider with a gyro. I've seen their hollow axles snap and their female axles strip from grinds and whatnot. Of course, these are only my experiences.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/21/2016 3:41 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I can't say much for brands with durable cassette hubs (I rarely run pegs/guards), but I definitely recommend solid male ...more

Ya I was leaning towards solid male axles too but the problem is I can't find any on danscomp or the secret box shop.

|

9/21/2016 4:18 PM

My Demolition Rogue was always good when I got heavy into grinds for a little bit here and there. Hollow axles are typically stronger than solid (harder to bend/break-solids tend to bend a lot easier).

Maybe a female CHROMOLY axle setup with 17mm bolts is in order.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/21/2016 4:54 PM

The odyssey antigram will stand up to whatever you throw at it. It's not one of those stupid female rear axles with a 14mm center axle with 10mm bolts those are the hubs that snap bolts. The odyssey one has a 17mm axle with 14mm bolts and it's pretty bomb proof. My clutch hub has a 17mm axle with 14mm bolt on the non drive side and it's where all my peg abuse goes and it's still solid.

|

9/21/2016 7:48 PM

Hollow axles will be fine as long as they aren't stupid hollow like the Primo Remix. I've seen those bend.

Avoid 3/8" female axles though. 14mm male axle hubs will be plenty strong, but if you feel you need that extra strength you can go with a 14mm female axle. A 14mm male axle is strong enough for most people though. I grind A LOT, same with my friend, and his is like 8 years old and still isn't bent so yeah.

My vote goes for the Cult Match v2 if you go male axle, it has proven Primo Mix internals and a slimmed down shell. Very close to the Primo Remix cassette, only with better/larger bearings & a less hollow axle. I ride the v1 and have no problems.

|

10/2/2016 3:16 PM

I hated the non stop hub.

The pawls broke in like 2 months and its the worst hub to ride if you like fakie tricks like me.

there is absolutely NO slack.

|

10/2/2016 5:56 PM

What is this cassette you speak of?

Lol....i used to run an odyssey v3 cassette, solid.

|

It’s all bmx

10/3/2016 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2016 8:43 AM

Profile elite with a 14 mm gdh titanium spindle and 9 tooth titanium driver get it ! I think that's what my next hub will be

|

10/3/2016 9:43 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Profile elite with a 14 mm gdh titanium spindle and 9 tooth titanium driver get it ! I think that's what my next hub will be

Grinding on a ti axle, best way to waste money

|

10/3/2016 11:07 AM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

If you grind sloppy , I've grinded with titanium axles before with no problems , you just gotta be smooth

|

10/3/2016 12:55 PM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

If you grind sloppy , I've grinded with titanium axles before with no problems , you just gotta be smooth

Ti axles are weaker, so if someone is having problems bending and snapping a chromoly axle, the last thing they should do is buy a ti axle.
I'm also not a fan of ti drivers, they wear a lot quicker. My current driver is ti and I've had it maybe 18 months and it needs replacing from wear

|

10/3/2016 1:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Ti axles are weaker, so if someone is having problems bending and snapping a chromoly axle, the last thing they should do is ...more

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't titanium around the same strength as chromoly but just more brittle?

I rode titanium pegs for awhile and while they wore down more than chromoly, they held up to everything. I could see titanium axles being okay for light street or park use, but with how much I grind I personally wouldn't trust it.

|

10/3/2016 2:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Ti axles are weaker, so if someone is having problems bending and snapping a chromoly axle, the last thing they should do is ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't titanium around the same strength as chromoly but just more brittle?

I rode titanium pegs ...more

It has a better strength to weight ratio, so it's lighter, but not as strong really. There's different types of strength that need to be considered too, it's more brittle than chromoly, which is the exact reason it's not a good idea for peg use. It doesn't bend, it cracks/snaps a lot easier

To put it into perspective, I've only ever seen 3 titanium frames. 2 xc which were both cracked, and 1 road which had a flared headtube.

|

10/3/2016 7:40 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It has a better strength to weight ratio, so it's lighter, but not as strong really. There's different types of strength that ...more

This. Not much flex, just snaps.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

10/5/2016 10:40 PM

BSD Backstreet Or Primo

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

10/6/2016 4:20 PM

WeThePeople Supreme, best cassette out!

|

BMX Product designer

10/7/2016 1:10 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

The odyssey antigram will stand up to whatever you throw at it. It's not one of those stupid female rear axles with a 14mm ...more

Damn!
I was planning to get the Colony Wasp Female hub...and it's exactly as you say, 14mm center axle with 10mm bolts sad

I don't really plan on using pegs, and I ride only street.
Would it be ok?

Or should I go with the male version of this hub? I see that they have 14mm male axle upgrade kit available separately.

|