Cassettes vs. Freecoasters

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2015 8:50 PM

Do you think freecoasters changed the game or ruined it?

Sorry if this topic was already posted. Please don't lock or delete it... dizzy

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

1/28/2015 8:59 PM

Overhyped thread but coasters are cool. Switch it up a bit. But trendfags blew it up too quickly. From someone who has ridden both , cassette hubs are so easy. It's mainly about style though. At the end of the day , ride what YOU like more , not what people think you should.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/28/2015 9:00 PM

This is only like the millionth thread about it haha.

Love them or not, they changed the game dramatically. People will often say "Freecoasters are for pussies who don't know how to back pedal!" which is a very ignorant thing to say. My counter argument to that is usually "Go try to fakie hop down a fairly large stair set with a cassette hub & see how well that works out for you."

Not to mention all the people like Garrett doing fullcab bars down big stair sets now too (See Deadline DVD), things like that just CANNOT be done on a cassette unless you can somehow backpedal like a motherfucker while still being able to have your feet setup for the trick.

That's just scratching the surface too, there's TONS of things a freecoaster will open up that you cannot do with a cassette, but also vice-versa. They both have their advantages & disadvantages.

The thing about them that did ruin the game in my opinion however, are all the dumbass kids who can't even roll out of a 180 who buy a freecoaster thinking it'll magically make them be able to fakie somehow, or never take the time to actually learn how to use one properly and just wanna be a trendfag cause everyone has them.

|

1/28/2015 9:08 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Overhyped thread but coasters are cool. Switch it up a bit. But trendfags blew it up too quickly. From someone who has ridden ...more

Sorry, I had to create my own thread. I personally think cassette hubs take more skill and are more of a learning process because you have to actually focus on pedaling backwards and where you're going. As for freecoasters, they made the game lazier, but opened up the possibilities to many more combinations of tricks.

|

1/28/2015 9:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Love them or not, they changed the game dramatically. People will ...more

I agree with you bro. I just hate how everybody is calling everything a trend though. Seriously, shut the fuck up please. Just because somebody chooses a cassette over a freecoaster or vice versa doesn't make them a trend whore. A lot of people eat McDonalds, but does that make them a trend whore? It's all about preference and supporting your favorite company or rider at the end of the day.

|

1/28/2015 9:16 PM

Sorry for telling you to shut the fuck up, haha! Wasn't directed to you man, just to people who say everything is because of a trend.

|

1/28/2015 9:20 PM

Baphometh wrote:

I agree with you bro. I just hate how everybody is calling everything a trend though. Seriously, shut the fuck up please. Just ...more

The "Trend" part comes from people who buy them and don't even need them/use them. I know people who've bought them just cause they wanted a freecoaster, and hardly ever go backwards, and when they do they just fuck up the fakie cause they don't know how to use the coaster properly.

Buying one to try it out is fine, maybe you stick with it and like it. But buying one and never actually using the benefits a freecoaster gives you is like buying buying a set of pegs & hub guards and never even attempting to learn how to grind, in my opinion anyway.

Only good thing about people buying them for that reason is that they're still spending money & supporting bmx companies at least

|

1/28/2015 9:23 PM

Personally, I prefer freecoasters. I was never a fan of cassettes... never. I hated them with a passion, not because I sucked but because it felt so restricting having to pedal back every time you go to fakie. I've been riding freecoasters since the Federal V1 coaster. I've only had on cassette in my life, and that was the Profile one. I'll NEVER go back to cassettes, but that's just my personal preference and because I suck at pedal back fakies.

|

1/28/2015 9:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

The "Trend" part comes from people who buy them and don't even need them/use them. I know people who've bought them just cause ...more

I just don't know why people make a big deal over people who prefer one thing over the other. I support cassette riders just like I support freecoaster riders. The only reason why it's a trend is because people are making it that way. I can understand why some people would be pissed, like somebody buys a coaster and doesn't bother using it to its fullest potential, and by all means it makes logical sense. But I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "trend". Maybe somebody's favorite rider inspired them to ride a coaster? I remember watching throwback Animal videos seeing them go to fakie and not pedal back, and that's what got me in to coasters. I can easily throw a 180 bar to full cab out with ease, but it's been a good couple years since I've done that, haha.

|

1/28/2015 9:41 PM

It is 100% a trend. 3-4 years ago I would say 1 in 20 people had a coaster....maybe less. Now everyone and their brother is on one, pro's included. It has pushed the sport to new levels, but I am still not a fan. I feel they are for flat landers or curb pro's. I will personally never go the coaster route, but who cares really.

|

1/28/2015 9:52 PM

Fuck the game if it ain't saying nothing

|

1/28/2015 10:13 PM

bobPA wrote:

It is 100% a trend. 3-4 years ago I would say 1 in 20 people had a coaster....maybe less. Now everyone and their brother is on ...more

Even more than 3-4 years ago, even less people had a coaster. My friend who rode one about 10-11 years ago said when he got one, everyone talked shit on gay it was, but everyone still wanted to ride it. Some things never change cause that's still kinda how it is today haha.

Freecoasters aren't really for curb pros though, they're used for that sometimes yes but a lot of burly stuff has been done with a freecoaster such as fakie turn downs down stair sets, Brandon Begin's half cab down El Toro attempt, half of Garrett Reynolds' clips in Deadline & Fiending, any many more. Far from just being for curb pros. I understand that's your opinion & all and I'm not arguing against it, you're entitled to it, just stating the facts cause you've been out of the game awhile I believe.

I also will never go to a coaster. I know a lot of people say that and eventually do, but I never will. Yeah I'll ride a friends once in awhile, but coaster riding is not my kind of riding. I do respect it though.

|

1/28/2015 10:17 PM

What about Freewheel? No one want freewheel? :|

|

1/28/2015 10:28 PM

bobPA wrote:

It is 100% a trend. 3-4 years ago I would say 1 in 20 people had a coaster....maybe less. Now everyone and their brother is on ...more

It's not a trend! Hahah! I'm sorry you feel that way my nigga. Just realize that bmx is advancing, and companies are just trying to keep up with that while making money at the same time. Sure, it is becoming a commonly preferred type of rear hub, but that doesn't mean people are riding it because it's "trending". A lot of people simply prefer freecoasters over cassettes. They try out their friends or one from a shop and fall in love. A lot of people just love the feeling of not having to pedal backwards in a fakie, and I respect that. I'm the same way. I just feel more comfortable whenever I go to fakie. That's doesn't make me any less of a rider than a cassette rider, nor a trend whore. Who cares if they're not doing A1 tricks out of their fakies. At the end of the day, we all ride bikes. We all have our preferences. Let me guess, you ride with flangeless grips you trend whore lmfao

|

1/28/2015 10:30 PM

NewAndImprovedClancy wrote:

What about Freewheel? No one want freewheel? :|

what about riding a fixed gear? i'd love to see somebody 540 a 20 set with on of those and ride out of it.

|

1/28/2015 10:37 PM

This thread has been blown up more than biggybuggy's asshole is wide

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/28/2015 11:41 PM

4 pegs
4 piece bars
coaster
it's the way I want my ride setup, I can do whatever I want because fuck everyone else's opinions, my bike, not theirs.

|

Bruh

1/29/2015 12:15 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

4 pegs
4 piece bars
coaster
it's the way I want my ride setup, I can do whatever I want because fuck everyone else's opinions, ...more

AMEN MY NIGGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|

1/29/2015 1:34 AM

I just go back and forth. Got a cassette and coaster wheel. I ride the one I feel like riding at the time

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

1/29/2015 1:40 AM

tomdon wrote:

I just go back and forth. Got a cassette and coaster wheel. I ride the one I feel like riding at the time

that's the way to go bruhh bruh

|

1/29/2015 2:18 AM

I find that sometimes, I'll have to bitch crank for a particular trick, and on a freecoaster, the slack almost totally prevents you from doing that in any other less efficient manner. Plus, cassette hubs set you up and keep you stabilized as you go backwards. You can never go waaaaayyyy too fast, and even then, you have some sort of control of it due to the tension you can put as you back-pedal. I'll never go to freecoasters most likely due to me being scared of the big bearings blowing out, slack adjustment, etc. I usually only mess with some when someone has one, but even then I'm not used to it at all and even simply pedaling the bike turns out to be a hard task for me.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/29/2015 3:10 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I find that sometimes, I'll have to bitch crank for a particular trick, and on a freecoaster, the slack almost totally ...more

i agree with the bitch crank thing. i noticed that when i switched to a coaster, but that was forever ago.I got used to bitch crankin a coaster. It's just something you get used to.
As far as the going too fast in fake, dont bitch crank lol

end of the day we all have our own preference and i respect that. it'd be boring if everybody rode the same thing

|

1/29/2015 9:34 AM

Just because you don't have to backpedal when going fakie with a freecoaster doesn't mean that it's easier to ride than a cassette. Freecoasters are great and can make riding super fun, that's my take on it.

|

1/29/2015 9:43 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Love them or not, they changed the game dramatically. People will ...more

Garrett was actually running a cassette in the deadline video when he did the fullcab bars.

|

1/29/2015 9:46 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Even more than 3-4 years ago, even less people had a coaster. My friend who rode one about 10-11 years ago said when he got ...more

I just watched Reynolds parts...that dude is out of his mind.

|

1/29/2015 10:54 AM

bobPA wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Even more than 3-4 years ago, even less people had a coaster. My friend who rode one about 10-11 years ago said when he got ...more

I got my first one in 2005 or 2006, and I was the ONLY person around me to have one at the time. A buddy got one shortly after, and he was hooked.

I too saw some smack talk, then "Can I ride it" at the time. Whatever.

I find the popularity to be attributed to a LOT of kids seeing their favorite pros rocking one.

Honestly, ride what you want.

What makes it a trend in my eyes, is the kids saying "Freecoasters make fakies easier" and the kids buying them ONLY because their favorite pro has one, but they have no intent to try to utilize it to it's potential.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/29/2015 2:32 PM

Basement Cat wrote:

Just because you don't have to backpedal when going fakie with a freecoaster doesn't mean that it's easier to ride than a ...more

yeah, they both take some skill. i know people with coasters who were better off on cassettes. like i said its all about preference

|

1/29/2015 2:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I got my first one in 2005 or 2006, and I was the ONLY person around me to have one at the time. A buddy got one shortly ...more

same year i started riding mine wtf

|

1/29/2015 3:18 PM

ChrisWilmshurst wrote:

Garrett was actually running a cassette in the deadline video when he did the fullcab bars.

My mistake, rewatched it and you're correct.

|

1/29/2015 3:21 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

This thread has been blown up more than biggybuggy's asshole is wide

Lololololol. #butthurt

|