Chain Breaker (Half Link)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2012 10:22 PM

i have a cult half link chain that i need to fix soon but i don't know what chain breaker to get. i want one that works best on half link chains and isn't going to cost me that much. can somebody help me out please?

|

3/4/2012 10:28 PM

get a parktools or a shadow chainbreaker......dont waste your money on a cheap no name chainbreaker they are not durable

|

3/4/2012 10:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2012 10:29 PM

http://www.veinbmx.com/Parts/Tools_2/Vein-BMX-Halflink-Chain-Breaker and it's cheap too. same as the shadow chain breaker

|

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

3/4/2012 10:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

get a parktools or a shadow chainbreaker......dont waste your money on a cheap no name chainbreaker they are not durable

i actually just put my Cult chain on my frame with a cheap-o no name chain breaker, haha tongue

had this thing for years, and it's just starting to wear down.

|

3/4/2012 11:23 PM

Go to Walmart. Get a Bell. Under $5. Break it

|

3/4/2012 11:33 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

i snapped the loosening shelves off a walmart one... i have a park tool now and it's been great, but the one i posted does half links

|

3/4/2012 11:37 PM

metalheadification wrote:

i snapped the loosening shelves off a walmart one... i have a park tool now and it's been great, but the one i posted does half links

It'a all in the technique. You can't force it. If the pin sticks, switch to the other side and it'll break out the pin EVERY time.

|

3/4/2012 11:43 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

It'a all in the technique. You can't force it. If the pin sticks, switch to the other side and it'll break out the pin EVERY time.

i did it right, it was a brand new walmart chain which snapped after one block, it snapped straight down the link. im just saying it's worth it to buy a nicer one, and that one's made for half links which hes trying to break

|

3/4/2012 11:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2012 11:48 PM

Ok. I hope you find the 4th comment to the link you posted as funny as I do...

"works great"

it work but like on the second time i broke a chain the metal piece in the middle broke but it still works

VeinBMX.com Answer: Which metal piece? Can you email a picture to @veinbmx.com?
gavin
balls
10/18/2011

|

3/5/2012 6:24 AM

I bought the cheap $5 one because i was broke and it worked for me. When i'm first getting the pin started though i hold the end of the breaker on the ground because it takes some stress off that end piece thats known to break easily. If you have the money though id get the nice park tool one.

|

3/5/2012 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2012 7:36 AM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

this is off subject but is that you in your profile pic?

btw the animal chain breaker that comes with the too kit looks legit, haven't got to use it yet so idk how good it really works, shadow chain breakers use to be good up until last year then they had to of starded making them cheap cause a but of people in my area were breaking them

|

3/5/2012 7:48 AM

The chain breaker that comes with the Animal Kotulak works on Shadow chains, and it's dinky. I'm honestly blown away at how well it works. At the shop we just have some cheap Park Tools one, and I used it to break a Shadow chain this weekend. If you use the right technique, any 1/8" chain breaker will work.

|

My BTM. // Facebook // Twitter // Google+ // Refs: guitar_frk, ridelittlebikes43, streetrat420, jb07, werkheiserBMX, SuperstarDK, trentydoo, BEASTASSDICK, pcoco, Showtime402, SnM An1mal.

3/5/2012 7:58 AM

tinybikerider33 wrote:

The chain breaker that comes with the Animal Kotulak works on Shadow chains, and it's dinky. I'm honestly blown away at how well it works. At the shop we just have some cheap Park Tools one, and I used it to break a Shadow chain this weekend. If you use the right technique, any 1/8" chain breaker will work.

not when the pin bends on the chain breaker laughing

|

3/5/2012 8:00 AM

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

If you're using the chain breaker properly and not forcing the pin into the pin on the chain, you won't bend the pin. I've broken at least five Shadow chains with Wal-Mart chain breakers over the years.

|

My BTM. // Facebook // Twitter // Google+ // Refs: guitar_frk, ridelittlebikes43, streetrat420, jb07, werkheiserBMX, SuperstarDK, trentydoo, BEASTASSDICK, pcoco, Showtime402, SnM An1mal.

3/5/2012 8:24 AM

tinybikerider33 wrote:

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

tinybikerider33 wrote:

If you're using the chain breaker properly and not forcing the pin into the pin on the chain, you won't bend the pin. I've broken at least five Shadow chains with Wal-Mart chain breakers over the years.

ive never wasted my money on that shit lol but ive used some pretty jank chain breakers for quick fix

|

3/5/2012 8:28 AM

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

tinybikerider33 wrote:

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

ive never wasted my money on that shit lol but ive used some pretty jank chain breakers for quick fix

Yeah, lol. They're a pretty big waste of money. The only times I've use one is when some kid breaks their chain at the park and that's the only chain breaker around.

|

3/5/2012 8:36 AM

I think chains just need to be designed better that's my overall opinion because this shit wouldn't even been an issue if that was fixed

|

3/5/2012 8:38 AM

Designed better, in what way?

|

3/5/2012 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2012 8:42 AM

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

btw the animal chain breaker that comes with the too kit looks legit, haven't got to use it yet so idk how good it really works, shadow chain breakers use to be good up until last year then they had to of starded making them cheap cause a but of people in my area were breaking them

Yep, that would be me. Stoked to see someone else on here that rides all year long. I love sledding!

|

3/5/2012 9:07 AM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

plzdntfailmeagn wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

Yep, that would be me. Stoked to see someone else on here that rides all year long. I love sledding!

cool that's awesome and we both have green frames in them pics, shoot the weather has been so weird this year ive barley had to ride in the snow
|

3/5/2012 9:11 AM

the vein breaker does work well and will last longer than those cheapo walmart breakers but if you don't know how to use a chain-breaker correctly its still possible to break it, this goes for any chain-breaker.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

3/5/2012 9:12 AM

I bought the shadow after breaking the cult breaker. Brokenbmx recommended it, and it works great, even on the peened pin 710 I have now.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/5/2012 9:26 AM

get a shadow or vein

|

Refs: netty speghetti, aw1234512[x2], Dudeisdrumer109, daniel21, paVimo, ticaleb, Showtime402[x2], brendan.magner.9
VIDEO OF OUR DIRT SKATEPARK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l6T-1xEwo

3/5/2012 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2012 9:29 AM

plzdntfailmeagn wrote: cool that's awesome and we both have green frames in them pics, shoot the weather has been so weird this year ive barley had to ride in the snow

Yeah, been like that out here. Had a couple good dumps and the rest are here today, gone tomorrow. Snowed twice last week. Melted before noon both days. What about a hammer, nail, and the crack on a sidewalk?

|

3/5/2012 2:35 PM

thanks for the help. i just ordered the veinbmx chain breaker a lil bit ago

|