Chain Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2013 9:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2013 9:41 PM

Ok guys, I'm normally not the type of guy to ask for help but this time I'm at a loss. Every time I ride, I snap my fucking chain. I've killed numerous 410s which i know are weak. So I was then recommended a shadow chain. That was the biggest mistake ever. I mangled 3 or 4 of those. Then I was told to try a 510 such as cult or odyssey. Those aren't holding up either. So I started looking at wipperman but I dont know if the listed break limit is legit or not. What do you guys recommend for me? A brand and the model would be great please.

EDIT: Chain should be capable of roling on 23-8 as I started riding that today. So that's not the issue

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/22/2013 9:36 PM

Wow.. You've pretty much broken every type of chain there is.. I've stretched a 410 really bad over like half a year and a 510 over like a whole year. You're like that one dude I saw on here who kept blowing out Rachet hubs, Profiles, Mixes, etc.. All the expensive shit too.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/22/2013 9:37 PM

Get a dirt bike chain.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

5/22/2013 9:38 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Wow.. You've pretty much broken every type of chain there is.. I've stretched a 410 really bad over like half a year and a 510 over like a whole year. You're like that one dude I saw on here who kept blowing out Rachet hubs, Profiles, Mixes, etc.. All the expensive shit too.

At times I wish I got paid to break chains. But i hate having to constantly fix them. And I hit the limit today. My 510 is hanging from a tree now...

|

5/22/2013 9:40 PM

Get a eclat diesel or the tractor chain lol

|

Text For Faster Response (727) 218 4305
Follow Me On Instagram - @Marcog_727
Refs–
Sold : Mrhavoc1988, Skubasteve, Joe_Martinez, -Havok-
Bought : ii Krxfted, Tomdon, SnM An1mal, ScramHype, Ecuadevil, TheHorrorContract
Traded : Wolfen, Kevin_Burnett, The_Bmxist, Wilberto_Mora, Mobking, Joe_Martinez

5/22/2013 9:42 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Get a dirt bike chain.

this needs to make a come back in bmx 3/16 chains were the shit, daily grind should do it lol

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

5/22/2013 9:42 PM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

Are they tougher than a 510? I'll take a looksee

|

5/22/2013 9:43 PM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

i have the tractor i ride with my chain tight well that one spot, but its holding up good so far

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

5/22/2013 9:45 PM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

tomdon wrote:

Are they tougher than a 510? I'll take a looksee

Never riden them but they look tough as fuck

|

Text For Faster Response (727) 218 4305
Follow Me On Instagram - @Marcog_727
Refs–
Sold : Mrhavoc1988, Skubasteve, Joe_Martinez, -Havok-
Bought : ii Krxfted, Tomdon, SnM An1mal, ScramHype, Ecuadevil, TheHorrorContract
Traded : Wolfen, Kevin_Burnett, The_Bmxist, Wilberto_Mora, Mobking, Joe_Martinez

5/22/2013 9:48 PM

Have you ridden the 8t in the back for awhile? cause that would be your problem, 8t drivers put a lot more stress on chains.

|

5/22/2013 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2013 9:51 PM

Are they breaking from tension or you banging on them on grinds or some shit like that?
What breaks more often, inner plates or outer? Or are pins popping out?

Cuz the K510 'hx' chains have thicker outer plates and wider inner than normal 510 chains. But if you're completely over 510s altogether I recommend the K710 kool chain. Shit's pretty beefy. And I'm pretty sure those ratings on the wippermans are accurate.. those chains are tough as fuck, ask Chuck, he owns one. And even if the ratings are off a little I know you'll still have trouble breaking one.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

5/22/2013 9:58 PM

BMXism wrote:

Are they breaking from tension or you banging on them on grinds or some shit like that?

Cuz the K510 'hx' chains have thicker outer plates and wider inner than normal 510 chains. But if you're completely over 510s altogether I recommend the K710 kool chain. Shit's pretty beefy. And I'm pretty sure those ratings on the wippermans are accurate.. those chains are tough as fuck, ask Chuck, he owns one. And even if the ratings are off a little I know you'll still have trouble breaking one.

the 710 chain was probably the best chain I ever ran. looked "kool" too haha. I kinda regret tossing it after I snapped the halflink I put in it /:

that or the wipperman would be the best bets

|

Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2013 9:58 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Have you ridden the 8t in the back for awhile? cause that would be your problem, 8t drivers put a lot more stress on chains.

Today is the first I've ridden the 8t. I know how crazy the stress is from them.

|

tomdon wrote:

Today is the first I've ridden the 8t. I know how crazy the stress is from them.

Ah I see, that eliminates that as the culprit

|

5/22/2013 10:01 PM

BMXism wrote:

It's not tension as I am attempting to learn crank flips so I run it a tad looser then normal. I think it's more slipping on crooks and crank arms and doing disasters on concrete. And I tend to crank harder than than most people cause most spots I ride have shit run-ups

|

5/22/2013 10:05 PM

tomdon wrote:

It's not tension as I am attempting to learn crank flips so I run it a tad looser then normal. I think it's more slipping on crooks and crank arms and doing disasters on concrete. And I tend to crank harder than than most people cause most spots I ride have shit run-ups

that right there might be a reason you keep breaking them, you run it loose, but crank harder when there's a shitty runup.. meaning when you crank hard, it yanks the chain more than it would if it was tighter.. causing more stress. maybe, idk

|

5/22/2013 10:07 PM

tomdon wrote:

Get a wipperman 1r8 its not the huge one, I landed on my back wheel hard and it slammed my wheel and my chain slipped off and the teeth on my tree o.g gave in before the chain did the 1r8 is still in perfect condition.

|

5/22/2013 10:07 PM

You need one of these then
Photo

Hasn't broke on me once.

But I think a wipperman will seriously work out pretty well for you. Only one way to find out..

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

5/22/2013 10:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2013 10:20 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

tomdon wrote:

BNC wrote:

Get a wipperman 1r8 its not the huge one, I landed on my back wheel hard and it slammed my wheel and my chain slipped off and the teeth on my tree o.g gave in before the chain did the 1r8 is still in perfect condition.

I was looking at the 1r8. I think its only like 20? I'm gonna save a few bucks and get me one of them to try out

Edit: It's actually 33. It's between that and the kmc 710. I also saw the amber 710. Is that the same as the kmc 710? Not gonna try an amber chain unless someone can vouch for it

|

5/22/2013 10:27 PM

tomdon wrote:

I was looking at the 1r8. I think its only like 20? I'm gonna save a few bucks and get me one of them to try out

Edit: It's actually 33. It's between that and the kmc 710. I also saw the amber 710. Is that the same as the kmc 710? Not gonna try an amber chain unless someone can vouch for it

Just stick to the KMC unless you really want a Wipperman. I've heard Wipperman chains aren't good for 8t.. And try not to go for Amber chains, they're like all generic.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/22/2013 10:41 PM

I made the switch to the 1g8 when I kept breaking chains and popping links apart, and my sprocket and driver were perfectly in line while this was going on. I went through a kmc 710 hollow pin as well as the solid peened pin chain, a cheap replacement chain, and another one, I can't remember the brand. The bitch chains are annoying, and I can't wait until the keychain comes out. That seems like it should be very strong compared to most chains on the market. Also, there is a Wippermann chain test on you tube that was boring but informative, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/22/2013 10:53 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

I made the switch to the 1g8 when I kept breaking chains and popping links apart, and my sprocket and driver were perfectly in line while this was going on. I went through a kmc 710 hollow pin as well as the solid peened pin chain, a cheap replacement chain, and another one, I can't remember the brand. The bitch chains are annoying, and I can't wait until the keychain comes out. That seems like it should be very strong compared to most chains on the market. Also, there is a Wippermann chain test on you tube that was boring but informative, haha.

Ah just the man I was waiting for. Any idea what wippermans will work with an 8t? I have a son in the way so buying a 9t is currently out of the question.

|

5/23/2013 5:54 AM

I believe the 1r8 is a standard size chain. From the website, the only ridiculous one is the 1g8, but I may be wrong.
Congrats on the boy on the way. My wife and I found out yesterday the one on the way is a girl. That evens it up to 2 of each, so she's getting spayed this time, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/23/2013 6:06 AM

The Eclat Diesel is basically an Odyssey Bluebird/510. Whipperman chains wont work on an 8t driver. I'm pretty sure they wont work on 9t drivers either! Have you looked into that DK EXO chain i think its called? Its a half link chain with beefy ass protective plates on it, look into that?

|

5/23/2013 6:08 AM

Here is what I've gone by. The 1G8 doesn't like the smaller cogs due to the flat plate design. The rest are just high quality 1/8 chains. Oh, whatever you do, stay away from the 3/32 chains. They are too narrow for the beefier sprockets.
|

5/23/2013 6:14 AM

Get the Amber 710, my friend was a little bit of a chain ruiner, and got the Amber, he LOVES it and has had no problems.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

5/23/2013 6:20 AM

will that wipperman work on a mds ?

|

5/23/2013 6:21 AM

Find a khe collapse chain they are beast mode. But rare as rocking horse shit.

Otherwise if you can clear it on your hub/sprocket get the wipperman 1g8 shits tank as fuck

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

5/23/2013 6:34 AM

justin vogelsberger wrote:

will that wipperman work on a mds ?

The 1R8 or 108 should, they are standard width chains.

|

5/23/2013 7:28 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna go with the wipperman 1r8

|