Chain Tensioners

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2021 11:24 AM

They suck so bad and they enrage me.. they literally break in a day lol... the most stupid thing found on a bmx bike.. Only newer Odyssey frames have a system that works and it's because they used stainless steal rods... I hate that companies are still using bolts that break so easily... what's the point.

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

6/1/2021 11:58 AM

just slam your back wheel and don't use them

|

6/1/2021 1:17 PM

User error.

|

6/1/2021 1:22 PM

I have had them for years with no problem.

Dont forget your supposed to tighten your back wheel.

You probably have way to much tension on them.

|

Husky Nation Member

6/1/2021 1:29 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

I have had them for years with no problem.

Dont forget your supposed to tighten your back wheel.

You probably have way to ...more

This sums it up to a T.

|

6/1/2021 1:30 PM

makebikingcoolagain wrote:

just slam your back wheel and don't use them

That's a tricky one.

|

6/1/2021 6:17 PM

They seem to work for most people, depends how you ride/work on your bike, I guess.

I’ve never found them useful, but I’m not hard on my bike after all.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/2/2021 12:32 AM

I always wanted a frame with integrated chain tensioners and now that I have them I will never go without them.

Maybe I am using them wrong but . . . Use tension bolts to set wheel alignment and chain tension then lock down the axle nuts and NOTHING MOVES!!!!! Amazing!

No I don't run crazy tight chain tension. If you are breaking or striping tension bolts maybe you run your chain tighter than me.

|

6/2/2021 5:39 PM

At what point did Odyssey start making frames?

Also, has anyone actually ever seen stainless stealing rods? Pure hearsay, in my opinion.

As far as chain tensioners, not to put too fine a point on it or anything, but, you're an idiot...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/2/2021 5:51 PM

Impalenthelen wrote:

I always wanted a frame with integrated chain tensioners and now that I have them I will never go without them.

Maybe I am ...more

Seems basic but difficult for some lol

|

6/2/2021 6:06 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Also, has anyone actually ever seen stainless stealing rods? Pure hearsay, in ...more

SUNDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Chain tensioners suck.. I like my chain rock solid.. #coolguy #what'sthepoint #shoutoutOdysseyFrames

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

6/2/2021 6:19 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Also, has anyone actually ever seen stainless stealing rods? Pure hearsay, in ...more

Somewhere around 2010...

http://flatlandfuel.com/odysseyflatware2013tangoframe.aspx

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

6/2/2021 6:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

He probably means Sunday.

Not sure he is breaking an allen bolt, i think he is breaking the Sunday rods they use. Its a weird design. Just use a long allen bolt, get them from the hardware store.

Hand tighten them so the chain gets tighter, lightly tighten less than a 1/4 turn against the axle. If you are afraid of damaging the threads then back off tensioner once axle bolts are tight.

But id rather have the axle not shifting so my wheel and chain stays tight when i ride. I had always run them tight, and dont care about replacing axles because I chew em up anyways on pegless stuff.

They don't suck, i wish every frame had them, especially after workiing on hundreds of bikes without em.

|

6/2/2021 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2021 6:40 PM

Loosen wheel, dial tension, tighten back wheel, remove tensioners. Isn’t that the way that it’s supposed to be to not damage the tensioners

|

smile

6/2/2021 7:35 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Loosen wheel, dial tension, tighten back wheel, remove tensioners. Isn’t that the way that it’s supposed to be to not damage ...more

Can never tell if you are serious or not haha,

If i rode those Sunday ones and they kept breaking I would, remove em for an allet bolt. I would never take the bolt out tho, theres no need too. There are multiple style of chain tensioners out there, some that push the axle via bolt, or styles that sit on the axle like washers that get pushed/pulled by a bolt or bolts. They do not get removed, and you do not loosen after snugging up the axle nuts.

|

6/2/2021 8:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2021 8:09 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Loosen wheel, dial tension, tighten back wheel, remove tensioners. Isn’t that the way that it’s supposed to be to not damage ...more

hoffdirt1 wrote:

If i rode those Sunday ones and they kept breaking I would, remove em for an ...more

I think he's right about integrated chain tensioners. The tensioner bolt threads aren't strong enough to take a real bashing, they're dinky. I have one seized in my Dagger frame right now, stripped the head trying to get it out. Can't slam my wheel cause it sticks out a few mm's. I gotta jam a rag between my chainstay and tire to create tension now. I know it helps keep the wheel from slipping but if you're mounting your wheel properly you shouldn't need the tensioners engaged while riding. Even so, IMO you're better off letting it slip.

|

I get big airs off small things

6/2/2021 8:08 PM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

If i rode those Sunday ones and they kept breaking I would, remove em for an ...more

I’m talking about the ones that go through your dropout

|

smile

6/2/2021 8:33 PM

Ya leave em in, i mean if u want to take em out you can. But idk why you would want to. They really dont destroy the axle, unless you are ratcheting em into the axle. Sometimes as things settle on the rear wheel, nuts, or bolts can loosen, the tensioner will help make sure the axle doesn't slide forward.

Its not different than using jammers, or running a female wheel so you can slam the wheel up in the dropout. Each to their own i guess.

|

6/2/2021 9:32 PM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

Ya leave em in, i mean if u want to take em out you can. But idk why you would want to. They really dont destroy the axle, ...more

No doubt the axle is fine but I'm saying the tensioner bolt thread can be damaged and seize in your dropouts. Like I'm not postulating, it happened to me. I'ma have to dremel it down if I want a slammed wheel.

|

I get big airs off small things

6/2/2021 9:44 PM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

Ya leave em in, i mean if u want to take em out you can. But idk why you would want to. They really dont destroy the axle, ...more

Like Craig said they mushroom and are impossible to get out without cutting/dremeling

|

smile

6/3/2021 9:03 PM

Nobody is making you keep em in. If they are mushrooning, then your axle is shifting. Why is it shifting?

If you are cutting them out with a dremel. Then chamfer the allen tip steeper, next set you put in.

But I can assure you dudes like Sem Kok, Sergio Layos, Larry Edgar and Courage Adams are not taking them out everytime they loosen their wheel

|

6/4/2021 7:06 PM

I usually loosen them and back them out all the way after I’ve tightened the back wheel down. Never had a problem with them bending. They still look new . I used to leave them in with tension on my old funday and they mushroomed and bent. Just back them out

|

6/5/2021 4:33 PM

You are not supposed to keep them tight against the axle once the chainline and chain tension is correct. That's what the wheel bolts are for ffs.

|

Gravity always wins.

6/5/2021 5:16 PM

ACBMX wrote:

You are not supposed to keep them tight against the axle once the chainline and chain tension is correct. That's what the ...more

FFS what? Then how do you use the tensioner if you cant tighten the nuts while the tensioner bolt is against the axle?? Your comment doesnt make sense.

Once again, whether its race frame built in tensioners, or lolipop style, they are not loosened after tensioning...and Thru d/o style do not need to be loosened, after axle nuts are tightened. They help keep the wheel from shifting. You can leave em against the axle. YOU personally dont have to, but I will, and many others will.

Sunday should have just used a bolt, it would help prevent what guys are talking about. Instead they bend or deform bc they tried to over engineer a tried and true method.

Again if, you are deforming the Sunday style, take out and put a long allen bolt in.

|

6/6/2021 8:29 AM

They are CHAIN TENSIONERS. Note the name very carefully. They are there to tension your chain and line up your wheel correctly, so that it doesn't get pissed on install when you tighten the bolts on the wheel. Or nuts, depending on your wheel type.

They are usually something like M4 or M5 or the imperial equivalent. Thin, weak bolts. If you leave them against the axle or axle bolt and your wheel nuts come loose? you will bend the fuck out of them and if they are ICT? you will probably damage the frame.

Photo

If I were ever to ride that (I won't, I have much better lighter bikes than that) I would remove the bolts. Otherwise? they would get bent in about five minutes.

|

Gravity always wins.

6/6/2021 9:35 AM

Lol. Just know how to line your wheel up and torque bolts/nuts properly. Then you don't need a chain tensioner.

|

6/6/2021 10:09 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Lol. Just know how to line your wheel up and torque bolts/nuts properly. Then you don't need a chain tensioner.

It depends. Sometimes the wheel will pull as you crank on the nuts (like roll in the direction you are doing up the nut) and it will drive you crazy. Though yeah most modern bikes don't even have enough dropout to warrant them :D

|

Gravity always wins.

6/6/2021 11:13 AM

^ I agree, tensioners not needed on freestyle setups, riders just dont care as much as other styles of riding.

But to say they should be removed or cant be snugged up against the axle/or frame is misinfo.

They have lock nuts on there for a reason...to keep them in.

As for thru d/o tensioners, take em out if you want. Nobody is forcing you to keep em in. But Sunday's is a bad design.

As for that midschool fit, Cut the bolt down so it doesn't stick out as far. Problem solved...Every dropout back then were extremely long.

Race bikes also use tensioners to prevent the wheel from slipping mid--race. Of course axle nuts or bolts come loose. It helps ensure the racer does not die mid race, and ensure the chain line and tension stay proper. There are even built in tensioners that specifically butt up against the axle nuts to help prevent ^ this. They are then locked into place via a locknut to stay snug against the axle nuts.

There are micro d/o tensioners that hang off the rear of the d/o. They are not removed, these are used on Dirt Jump MTB setups and some bmx setups.

As for the meaning of chain tensioner, I have never worked on an industrial machine that was belt driven or chain driven that had a tensioner that was to be removed(or vehicle, etc). They were either self adjusting or manually adjusted/and locked into place.

Telll Larry Edgar, Devon Smillie, Courage, Sem, Sergio, Josh Dove that they are riding them wrong ffs.

|

6/6/2021 11:46 AM

You can either leave them in with tension and bend them when you do an ice pick. Or loosen them up after you’ve tightened the wheel down and dialed everything in and keep them fresh. Just because you can leave them in tight against the axle doesn’t mean you should. Test it out.

|

6/6/2021 11:49 AM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

^ I agree, tensioners not needed on freestyle setups, riders just dont care as much as other styles of riding.

But to say ...more

Funny you mention tensioners on machinery. On chains and belts, the tensioners actually have their own tensioners (jam nuts) to keep them from moving once they are dialed...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca