Chain idenficiation?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/5/2014 5:29 PM

It's a long shot.. but can anybody identify this chain? I will post a photo in a moment, have to do that from my phone gimme a minute.

I THINK it's a 410H chain, but it has HX markings on the side plates, so I'm not sure? It was laying in a drawer I have. It has thicker plates which is why I'm curious, I might run this chain if I can clean it up well enough and make sure it's not broken anywhere.

|

2/5/2014 5:30 PM

Photo

Photo
|

2/5/2014 5:34 PM

510HX

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/5/2014 5:37 PM

I agree with Tim because of the thicker plates.

|

2/5/2014 5:38 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

510HX

Just compared it to my old Odyssey Bluebird chain which is a 510, and they look about the same. Thanks! Now I know it's a good chain at least.

I swear I bought a 410 way back in the day. Unless that's in the garage.. But wouldn't explain where this chain came from. who knows haha

|

2/5/2014 5:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 5:41 PM

Ya it looks like a 510 HX. I just took a peak at one we have here, and it doesn't have the HX pressed in to every plate, but the pins and plates look the same.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/5/2014 5:43 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

510HX

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Just compared it to my old Odyssey Bluebird chain which is a 510, and they look about the same. Thanks! Now I know it's a good ...more

My 410H was thick but not this thick. But the 510 and 710 come in the "HX" options and you would know by shape if it was a 710. 99% sure this is a 510HX, in which case its generally considered one of the best! I would get it but I really want a black chain and no one has them in black. If I find out a 3/16 chain will work properly on my 1/8 set up im going to cop the 415H which is supposed to be TRIPLE the size of a regular 510!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/5/2014 5:50 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My 410H was thick but not this thick. But the 510 and 710 come in the "HX" options and you would know by shape if it was a ...more

Yeah I have a 710 but I'm afraid it'll break on me, it hasn't lately but it broke 3 times already in the last month or so, so I put it back on. It was already pretty old haha. I'll clean this guy up tomorrow and inspect it for breaks, but yeah. I really don't like how it's chrome only, it looks so out of place on my bike but oh well. Function > Looks

|

2/5/2014 5:56 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Just compared it to my old Odyssey Bluebird chain which is a 510, and they look about the same. Thanks! Now I know it's a good ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My 410H was thick but not this thick. But the 510 and 710 come in the "HX" options and you would know by shape if it was a ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah I have a 710 but I'm afraid it'll break on me, it hasn't lately but it broke 3 times already in the last month or so, so ...more

My 710 turned to shit. The inner links basically fell apart.

But after spending $800+ on my bike in the last few months to get rid of all the chrome and have it ride and look EXACTLY how I want, youd better believe im getting a black mother effing chain.

|

2/5/2014 6:54 PM

Found this while doing research for what chain to get. I thought the bluebird was just a 510. It IS a 510HX. And it comes in all black, so im copping one.
Photo

|

2/5/2014 7:07 PM

the cult 510 chain is half the price of the bluebird and comes in black if you want another option. Its a little thinner than the 510hx but my hx didnt really last me any longer than the 510 since the inner plates are the same size im pretty sure

|

2/5/2014 7:41 PM

Found the 410h, I think it's the 410h anyway. but it has thicker inner links than the 510? Which would be better haha

Photo

Photo

|

2/5/2014 7:49 PM

The 510HX is heat treated I do believe, so no stretching. And its an Odyssey Bluebird, so you can base your opinion off Bluebird reviews if necessary.

My 410h lasted me a year and a half with 0 broken links and I gave it to my friend who is still riding it 0 problems. Mind you this is after I DESTROYED a 710 and Cult/Shadow half links.

That being said, I believe the 510HX is better, though I have no experience with it (I will in a few days!!)

|

2/5/2014 7:53 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The 510HX is heat treated I do believe, so no stretching. And its an Odyssey Bluebird, so you can base your opinion off ...more

I had the Bluebird, snapped the half link.. then a few months later all the pins started pulling out freely and it snapped a few times that way /:

Like the pins, I could push with my fingers and they'd move and some of them would pop out of the link and break my chain. not sure why.

I'll clean/inspect both but probably opt for the 410h just because it has thicker plates, but not sure yet.

|

2/5/2014 7:58 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The 510HX is heat treated I do believe, so no stretching. And its an Odyssey Bluebird, so you can base your opinion off ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I had the Bluebird, snapped the half link.. then a few months later all the pins started pulling out freely and it snapped a ...more

Thats really not what I wanted to hear, damn you.
Well thats whats to be expected of the 510HX aswell then. I may try the Fly Tractor now??

|

2/5/2014 7:59 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well thats whats to be expected of the 510HX aswell then. I may try the Fly ...more

Don't go just by my experiences, my friend's had the Bluebird longer than I had mine and he's had 0 problems with it.

|

2/5/2014 8:11 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I had the Bluebird, snapped the half link.. then a few months later all the pins started pulling out freely and it snapped a ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well thats whats to be expected of the 510HX aswell then. I may try the Fly ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Don't go just by my experiences, my friend's had the Bluebird longer than I had mine and he's had 0 problems with it.

Im pretty rough on chains. If I could, I would go back in time and get the tree sprocket instead of my MDS so I could get the KMC 415H. I mean I murdered the fuck out of my KMC 710. Im hoping the 510 will do. Im literally taking off a brand new chain for it so ill be pretty bummed if I end up screwed over by two brand new chains back to back.

|

2/5/2014 8:14 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Im pretty rough on chains. If I could, I would go back in time and get the tree sprocket instead of my MDS so I could get the ...more

Still keep in mind it'll have some stretching/wearing in to do, so give it some time. But yeah I feel ya. I bought a Shadow half link years ago and that thing needed tightened so many times in the first 2 weeks, it gets annoying fast.

|

2/5/2014 8:15 PM

Dammit! I was hoping The one with thicker inner plates was the 510hx! Oh well! My top secret budget build should be done soon, preferably without having to borrow too many parts off of my current build. We definitely need to remember this thread for future use, and make certain the chain I.D is 100% correct, so we know what's what. May even want to make a callage of chain pics with them labelled, kinda like a chain strength chart, so new and veteran members can reference it before a purchase.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

2/5/2014 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 8:46 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Im pretty rough on chains. If I could, I would go back in time and get the tree sprocket instead of my MDS so I could get the ...more

Don't be a pussy, get a 1G8, Mr. I'm tough on chains! See how many times you gotta tighten it in the first few rides, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

2/5/2014 8:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Chuck8273 wrote:

Don't be a pussy, get a 1G8, Mr. I'm tough on chains! See how many times you gotta tighten it in the first few rides, haha.

Bitch you wanna give me your driver and buy me a 32t sprocket? Didnt think so!

|