Chain issues

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2018 12:03 PM

Hey guys, hoping someone might have a suggestion for a problem I'm having. I've got a tight and loose spot in my chain. My sprocket can't be ovalised because I fit a brand new sprocket, chain and hub (driver) all at the same time. Any ideas what could be the problem?

|

4/23/2018 12:07 PM

Sprocket on the correct sized spacer for the spindle? If the sprocket is a steel stamped one it could be out of round.

Could be a stretched chain.

Take the chain off and spin your cranks-if it moves up and down make sure it is centered correctly on a spacer that is correct size. If it does not move up and down, then it is your driver or chain.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/23/2018 12:54 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Sprocket on the correct sized spacer for the spindle? If the sprocket is a steel stamped one it could be out of round.

Could ...more

Yeah spacer is correct. The thing that is confusing me is that I got the sprocket, chain and hub all at the same time (all brand new) and as soon as I fit them to my bike I was having this problem. It isn't anything extreme so I haven't been too worried about it but it is slightly annoying as it isn't as smooth as it could be to ride

|

4/23/2018 1:01 PM

Have you tried tightening the crank bolt before tightening the sprocket bolt?

|

4/23/2018 1:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Have you tried tightening the crank bolt before tightening the sprocket bolt?

Yeah man, several times just in case I goofed sad

|

4/23/2018 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2018 1:29 PM

Don't fully tighten the sprocket bolt until you've set-up your desired chain tension.

Once desired chain tension has been achieved "slowly" rotate your cranks a few times... check for severe tight/ loose spot... If there isn't a severe tight/ loose spot, rotate cranks a few times again and then fully tighten your sprocket bolt.

This will allow your bolt drive sprocket to self adjust on your crank arm. This may take several attempts...

|

4/23/2018 1:33 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Don't fully tighten the sprocket bolt until you've set-up your desired chain tension.

Once desired chain tension has been ...more

I'll definitely give this a go, thanks for the tip. Fingers crossed it works!

|