Chain issues

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2019 10:47 PM

So I was putting back together my bike with some new parts and I purchased a Cult Halflink chain. I don’t know which way to put it on since the top and bottom of the chain look the same it isn’t like the shadow conspiracy one were one side is flat and the other side is rounded. Also when I did install it and rode the bike my chain started making loud poping noises. I flipped it upside down and when I pedal backwards it fine but when I pedal ford wards I notice the chain is jumping on the hub driver(odyssey clutch freecoaster). Any help? Thanks

|

10/12/2019 11:19 PM

Wafty chainline? Worn driver?
It might just need bedding in

|

10/12/2019 11:22 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Wafty chainline? Worn driver?
It might just need bedding in

It is a brand new chain and it does seem kinda stiff since when it first starts rotating the driver it dosent bend very well. I did have poping issues with my old chain I thought it was the chain or the bottom bracket but I replaced both. The driver seems pretty good on the hub so I’m not quite sure

|

10/13/2019 12:31 AM

Sounds like it needs to bed in, I usually ride a few times up a hill when I put a new chain on.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/13/2019 12:55 AM

How old is the driver? How often do you ride?

|

10/13/2019 8:22 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Like 2 years but I’ve only driven for a few months it looks fine

|

10/13/2019 10:49 AM

.pegless. wrote:

_bmxican_ wrote:

Like 2 years but I’ve only driven for a few months it looks fine

It might look fine, doesn’t mean it isn’t worn enough to make a new chain skip. Ride up a steep hill a couple of times. If it still makes noise after that I’d bet your driver is worn

|