Chain link sizes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/25/2017 9:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 9:51 AM

Basically I need to know if there is a way I can slightly stretch my chain (around 8mm over the whole thing) or if there is a different type of chain I could use. At the moment I have a chain with a half link in it that is at the very back of the dropout and without the half link the chain is too short.

The chain I have is the kmc kool chain. I run 28-9 on a 13.4 Cs.
So are there different chain link sizes or maybe could I use a 27t without the half link or a 30t with an extra link?
Another thing is I bent my odyssey la guardia sprocket a bit. It's not the reason I can't remove the half link but it would lead to a tight spot if the slammed chain was very tight.

|

Hmmm

12/25/2017 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 10:40 AM

A half link is half an inch, and removing one will shorten your chainstay 1/4 inch. A full link (actually two links) is an inch, and will equal a half inch on your chainstay if you add or remove a link. You can't stretch your chain on purpose. It will fuck up your driver and sprocket teeth. Your chain is probably already stretched. With a halflink your chain will be 13.5, or so if you get a new chain, with half link, you can run it at 13.5 and have one tenth of an inch leftover.
Just noticed you have 28/9 I think that is about 13.55-13.6 with a halflink. Get a new chain and your good. Without a half link is 13.3 and 13.85. Your chain is very stretched right now if it's at the end of your dropouts. Get a new one asap.

|

12/25/2017 10:41 AM

A half link is actually a 1/4 inch.

25-9 is 13.75 with no half link and 13.50 with a half link installed

Check out Fits website, look at their frames and they give you back end lengths with different gearing and chain configurations

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

12/25/2017 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 11:30 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

A half link is half an inch, and removing one will shorten your chainstay 1/4 inch. A full link (actually two links) is an ...more

Thanks but the chain really isn't stretched much as I've only had it for a few months, if it was as stretched as you said i would be able to remove the half link. I might just get a 510 anyway and see if that fits any better.

Also if I found a 30t would that help it ratio wise. I've been wanting to try a little harder gearing anyway.
Edit: sorry about refusing to believe it was stretched it now seems more clear that it could be.

|

Hmmm

12/25/2017 11:19 AM

Half links are such a breeze to work on . And I haven’t had any stretch in my Volume generic halflink . Don’t think I’ll go back to full link.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/25/2017 11:23 AM

Are some half links shorter than others?

|

Hmmm

12/25/2017 11:25 AM

Why are your drop outs only 1/4" long?

Try a new chain if yours is stretched. Otherwise, file down your dropout a bit to slam your wheel further. I shaved about .2" off my United Dinero to run my wheel slammed.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/25/2017 11:27 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Are some half links shorter than others?

No. All links are the same length. The rollers all have to be the same length apart to fit and function properly.

You have to have an even number of full links, but you can use an odd number of half links.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/25/2017 11:29 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Why are your drop outs only 1/4" long?

Try a new chain if yours is stretched. Otherwise, file down your dropout a bit to ...more

I'm going to try filling it and I'm going to get a new chain because mine is definitely stretched now it has been pointed out to me.

|

Hmmm

12/25/2017 1:00 PM

Get the chain before you file your dropouts out. The difference could be enough for your wheel to sit where you want it. But, changing sprocket size will have the affect you're thinking of. 25 and 27 put your wheel in roughly the same place, and 28 is about inbetween the 2. So with a 27 you could lose a half link, and your wheel should be about slammed. Or add a half link with a 30

|

12/26/2017 4:18 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

A half link is half an inch, and removing one will shorten your chainstay 1/4 inch. A full link (actually two links) is an ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Thanks but the chain really isn't stretched much as I've only had it for a few months, if it was as stretched as you said i ...more

You shouldn't be able to remove the halflink. You need it to run your wheel at 13.5.

|

12/26/2017 4:20 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

You shouldn't be able to remove the halflink. You need it to run your wheel at 13.5.

I'm just going to pick up a 510 and grind my dropouts down so it fits at 13.3

|

Hmmm

12/26/2017 4:23 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Thanks but the chain really isn't stretched much as I've only had it for a few months, if it was as stretched as you said i ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

You can't do that if you run pegs. It will either be on the welds, or hit the tubes even. Now that I think about it, with your gearing I think you can remove the halflink and be at around 13.65. if it's really at the end of your dropouts like you say, you should have plenty of room to remove a halflink. Have you tried?

|

12/26/2017 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 4:57 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

You can't do that if you run pegs. It will either be on the welds, or hit the tubes even. Now that I think about it, with your ...more

Yes I have tried removing the half link and then the chain is too short. And I will. Measure the dropouts with the peg to see if I could grind the tenth of an inch off.
There are 37.5 links in the chain if that helps. I think it is stretched for the bolt to be at the back of the dropout.

|

Hmmm

12/26/2017 7:51 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

You can't do that if you run pegs. It will either be on the welds, or hit the tubes even. Now that I think about it, with your ...more

Sure you can. I rode pegs on my dinero and still had room to grind further with 2 pegs in the back. All depends on the frame I guess, but usually there's enough room there to clear pegs and then some.

|

12/26/2017 9:08 AM

Edman123 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sure you can. I rode pegs on my dinero and still had room to grind further with 2 pegs in the back. All depends on the frame I ...more

I think that will be the case, if you look around the most recent photo in my bike check there is a lot of room on the dropout in front of the peg.

|

Hmmm

12/26/2017 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 9:18 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I think that will be the case, if you look around the most recent photo in my bike check there is a lot of room on the dropout ...more

Just be mindful that you don't want your peg to sit directly on the weld or tubes.

Also be careful filing, you want to keep the slot 14mm wide. I'm sure there's a better tool to be used, but I personally didn't have an issue filing away .2" with a round metal file.

Also, not sure which frame you're on, but if you have hollow dropouts (Sunday frames), it might not be the best idea. I know my Dinero had some weird hollow areas on the inside of the investment cast drop out, so I was mindful while filing not to file too far or file through one of the hollow parts. If you have regular solid 4-6mm drop outs then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

|

12/26/2017 10:09 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Sure you can. I rode pegs on my dinero and still had room to grind further with 2 pegs in the back. All depends on the frame I ...more

Edman123 wrote:

I think that will be the case, if you look around the most recent photo in my bike check there is a lot of room on the dropout ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just be mindful that you don't want your peg to sit directly on the weld or tubes.

Also be careful filing, you want to keep ...more

They are invest cast dropouts. And I can use either round files or a die grinder. I will make sure that there is room for the peg.

|

Hmmm

12/26/2017 10:11 AM

Edman123 wrote:

They are invest cast dropouts. And I can use either round files or a die grinder. I will make sure that there is room for the ...more

Just be mindful of the hollow sections on the inside of the drop out & you should be fine!

|

12/27/2017 7:01 AM

Edman123 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well I'm sure it depends on the frame. My pegs are about 1mm from the welds on my dropouts. That's fully slammed. I personally couldn't remove a tenth of an inch, but I'm sure other frames could.

|

12/27/2017 9:14 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Well I'm sure it depends on the frame. My pegs are about 1mm from the welds on my dropouts. That's fully slammed. I personally ...more

I think investment cast dropouts like OP has or like my Dinero generally have a lot more clearance in that regard. I'm sure a regular CNCd drop out might be a bit different, with the tube coming into the drop out and all.

|

12/30/2017 6:19 AM

So there wasn't room for the dropout to be ground down because it has cutouts on the inside to save weight I guess. But I managed to remove the half link anyway without the chain being too tight.

|

Hmmm