Chain makes loud clicking noises, Need help

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2021 7:34 PM

I just bought a "Primo 121 Half Link Chain (Chrome) (1/8")", chain off of Danscomp and installed it pretty easily. The chain is brand new so I don't understand why when I go to pedal I hear almost like the sound you would hear if your bottom bracket is completely broken. Basically a bunch of clunking around and grinding. I thought it was the bottom bracket so I replaced it. Wasn't the issue, I thought the chain was put on backwards. Not the issue. I also thought maybe the chain wasn't lined up with the sprocket and driver so I took out spacers to line it up even more. Didn't help. Even loosened the cranks to make sure they weren't too tight. When I try to really see where the sound is coming from, it's hard to do it with being on the bike but it looks like when i try to crank the bike with my arms to see whats going on, it looks like possibly the chain is getting stuck or something each time it goes into the driver on the hub. Does anyone know if regular chains have more space between them to fit better? The chain said 8t drivers and bigger, but definitely not working on mine which is 9t. One last thing the back hub which has always been in good condition is about 12 years old, so the teeth look a little hooked possibly? Also I had a half link chain always on this bike its never happened before. Im think it's maybe just a garbage chain or something.

|

3/27/2021 7:38 PM

I can almost certainly guarantee you that the teeth on the driver are worn out.

I had this exact same issue. I had ridden the same driver and chain for over 4 years and the teeth got really worn out. Bought a new chain and it sounded and felt horrible. Bought a new driver and all the issues went away.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/27/2021 10:41 PM

Yep, sounds like a worn driver to me

|

3/27/2021 11:19 PM

Worn driver and/or sprocket teeth, definitely.

The chain sort of conforms to the drive setup over time, like breaking in new shoes. So oftentimes a brand new chain on existing teeth makes a noise for a little while, but in your case it sounds like they're completely worn out.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/27/2021 11:33 PM

I bought an Eclat stroke chain a couple months ago. I had a clunking noise but it was clearly from the master link not bending properly over the driver. It was pretty easy to spot when I took the hub guard off and could see a small hop when the link traveled over the driver.

I played around with it a little and eventually fixed it by making sure that the master pin was totally centered. After a day of riding though, I must have jarred the chain enough that the master pin slipped out of center and the clunking started again.

|

3/28/2021 9:18 AM

the frames creak and stuff. it could be the frame breaking in. or if you have new BB kit it could just be settling into the frame as your pedaling.

|

3/28/2021 5:07 PM

I switched from a full link chain (odyssey bluebird) that was running perfectly fine to a shadow interlock v2 some time ago. Horrible noise even though everything was set up perfectly just like in your case. I tried a ybn half link (new) too and had the same noise. Then I bought a new driver and it ran perfectly with both half-links without any noise or issue. I would advise you to try a friend's new or very recent back wheel on your bike and see what comes up. If it runs fine, then you know it's most probably your driver that's worn out. Hope this helped.

|

3/28/2021 6:41 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

the frames creak and stuff. it could be the frame breaking in. or if you have new BB kit it could just be settling into the ...more

No, frames don’t break in.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/28/2021 6:49 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

the frames creak and stuff. it could be the frame breaking in. or if you have new BB kit it could just be settling into the ...more

readybmxer wrote:

No, frames don’t break in.

I was gonna say similar.. If the frame makes any sounds, it's gotta problem...

|

3/28/2021 8:06 PM

12 year old back driver could be the problem, take everything apart and clean the shit out of it!

|

My mom thinks I’m special