Chain on BMX is loose 24/7

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2017 8:35 PM

So I have a fit prospect that I got 3 months ago and my chain is always loose even tho I tighten it. I got a new kmc chain about 2 days ago and tightened it but it is still loose and it is hitting the cs. I can't shorten the chain because it will be too short and won't fit , so what should I do? Please help.

|

3/13/2017 8:40 PM

Stick something in between the frame and tire that will keep the chain loose and then tighten the shit out of the rear wheel bolts

|

3/13/2017 8:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2017 8:46 PM

Pull your wheel back! Are you sure you're tensioning the chain and properly tightening your nuts/bolts?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/13/2017 9:51 PM

Tighten them bolts up! Your chain naturally pulls the wheel forwards to become looser as you pedal, and pressure is applied on the driver, so you gotta tighten those things real good, especially if you're a peg rider.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/14/2017 1:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 1:49 AM

Or just tape your chainstays so it doesn't make as much sound and crankflip for dayz

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/14/2017 6:47 AM

Looks like you'll have to buy a new frame to fit your new chain

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

3/16/2017 4:42 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Pull your wheel back! Are you sure you're tensioning the chain and properly tightening your nuts/bolts?

yes I'm doing everything , do u think a half link chain or a bigger sprocket would help cuz I have a 25t sprocket

|

3/16/2017 5:25 PM

GarfieldBmx wrote:

yes I'm doing everything , do u think a half link chain or a bigger sprocket would help cuz I have a 25t sprocket

No, that doesn't have anything to do with this.

Something obviously isn't being done properly. List out your steps here.

|

@scootereyn

3/16/2017 6:10 PM

A half link MIGHT aid in the issue, but there is not really a reason you shouldn't be able to run what you have.

Post up some photos of the bike as is, and when you have it CRANKED as tight as you can.

Descriptions only go so far.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/17/2017 7:37 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

GarfieldBmx wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

No, that doesn't have anything to do with this.

Something obviously isn't being done properly. List out your steps here.

ok , so both of my bolts are loose so I can pull back the wheel, then I have someone else take a thick ended metal wrench and use the butt end and put it between the wheel and the frame . Then they pull on the wrench to create leverage and push back the wheel , but the bolts almost come of the frame at the dropout because how pushed back it is , but the chain is somehow still very loose and drooping , do u think it could be an extra link that I have to take out ?

|

3/17/2017 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2017 8:21 AM

GarfieldBmx wrote:

ok , so both of my bolts are loose so I can pull back the wheel, then I have someone else take a thick ended metal wrench and ...more

If your chain is on the sprocket and driver and you can pull your wheel out of the dropouts, you need to remove a link or 2.

Also, I'd avoid using that method. You're far more likely to snap a chain or blow up driver bearings doing that. Just tip the bike up so it's resting on the bars and front wheel, then put the wrench on the drive-side and pull back until the chain is tight and just tighten it up. Then you can do the non-drive side, get the wheel centered and tighten that side down as well.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/17/2017 9:59 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

If your chain is on the sprocket and driver and you can pull your wheel out of the dropouts, you need to remove a link or 2.

...more

Yeah, exactly this.

Mind posting up a photo of your wheel when it's all the way back? This way we'll know for sure, words can only go so far.

|

@scootereyn

3/23/2017 10:20 AM

Could the dropout be bent or are the cranks loose and shifting left to right?

|