Chain tensioners: yes/no?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2019 12:17 PM

On frames that don't come with integrated chain tensioners, are the aftermarket exoskeleton type chain tensioners a worthwhile add-on?

Like these:

|

2/28/2019 12:20 PM

Nah, they get in the way and you'll break them if you grind with them. If you don't have plastic pegs/hub guards, your wheel shouldn't slip once tightened properly

|

2/28/2019 12:34 PM

Nay. I used those exact ones for a bit and they're just way more effort than help. They'll mess up how things fit if you run pegs, hub guards, etc. It's another thing to remember to put on, adds weight, etc.

Integrated chain tensioners are rad because they're not taking up any extraneous space.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/28/2019 2:31 PM

I have built in tensioners in 3 of my current frames. I have removed them all. They just make it so you have to bring an extra tool if you need to remove your wheel for any reason. If you run female axles you can get away with just removing both bolts but thats annoying too.

If you ride street and get a lot of flats, my vote is no. If you ride park and rarely get flats, I still dont think its worth it.

|

2/28/2019 2:36 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I have built in tensioners in 3 of my current frames. I have removed them all. They just make it so you have to bring an extra tool if you need to remove your wheel for any reason. If you run female axles you can get away with just removing both bolts but thats annoying too.

If you ride street and get a lot of flats, my vote is no. If you ride park and rarely get flats, I still dont think its worth it.

Replace the set screws with socket head cap screws and you can set/remove them by hand

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/28/2019 4:23 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Replace the set screws with socket head cap screws and you can set/remove them by hand

Tried that too and they were not to my liking although they were an improvement.

|

2/28/2019 4:27 PM

No.

|

2/28/2019 5:39 PM

Does your wheel slip alot when you miss a grind? If so, they might be worth a try for you. I remember them being a pain in the ass when I tried them about a year ago but that could have been user error. They're inexpensive enough to try.

As far as integrated chain tensioners, the ones that you can tighten/loosen by hand are pretty slick. The ones where you have to use a 2mm allen wrench and loosen/tighten them a quarter-turn at a time (because the chainstay/seatstay gets in the way) are a headache. Still, I'll use them. Yeah it adds a little extra time when you change a flat but it beats having your wheel getting misaligned after missing a grind and hitting your rear peg on the rail/ledge.

|

2/28/2019 6:31 PM

If I had a frame with them integrated, I'd run them.

I always ride with a small Park Tools multi-tool (IB-2) anyways + Odyssey Keychain makes chain removal a breeze.

|

3/1/2019 9:21 AM

It wouldn't be worth it at all

|

3/1/2019 12:18 PM

I’m in the opposite opinion. Run one on your drive side, and it makes centering your wheel/chain tension a breeze. I run left side pegs and RHD, never have any issues breaking it. Learned it from one of my riding bros.

|

3/1/2019 6:04 PM

Those would break off in a heartbeat.

Personally, i love integrated chain tensioners. I’d rather fuss with those to take my wheel off, than fuss around trying to center my wheel and get my chain perfect. The latter pisses me the hell off

|

3/4/2019 12:30 PM

I run one on my drive side, I think its a old standard one.

|

3/7/2019 12:40 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Bsd frames come with them stock.

|