Chain tight and loose

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2020 1:36 PM

My chain has a loose spot and a tight spot, my chainline is perfect, my sprocket is straight, my wheels are centered, I'm stumped. My chain is a few months old, but otherwise I couldnt find any issues.

|

I like riding my bike.

1/20/2020 2:37 PM

Any stiff links?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/20/2020 3:24 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Any stiff links?

Are you propositioning him?

|

1/20/2020 4:08 PM

It's possible the chain wore unevenly which can happen with older sprockets and new(er) chains

Is the sprocket straight up & down as well? Look at it from the side and see if it's hopping a little bit. It might be perfectly straight side to side but it could be hopping up & down some, in which case you could be missing the top hat washer or it's just bent like that

|

1/20/2020 4:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2020 4:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It's possible the chain wore unevenly which can happen with older sprockets and new(er) chains

Is the sprocket straight up & down as well? Look at it from the side and see if it's hopping a little bit. It might be perfectly straight side to side but it could be hopping up & down some, in which case you could be missing the top hat washer or it's just bent like that

I'm voting on this. Your bore might not be concentric. Even if your sprocket seems straight from the top relative to your chain line, it might not be true looking at it from the side. If you run a 24mm spindle, get used ovaling your bore, especially if you run a higher gear ratio

|

1/20/2020 4:49 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Are you propositioning him?

Bruh.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/20/2020 6:20 PM

Not sure if it's because I just put a new chain, 28t sprocket, and cranks on my frame but I have a slightly loose then tight chain too. Seems like my old bike did the same thing back in the day with the big ass 5/16 Chain.

|

1/20/2020 6:34 PM

I always thought it was normal to have a slight tight spot and loose spot. Obviously if there is a huge disparity than something is probably wrong, but I've always had a little bit of a tight spot in my chain and a loose spot.

|

1/20/2020 7:26 PM

Undesemin wrote:

I always thought it was normal to have a slight tight spot and loose spot. Obviously if there is a huge disparity than something is probably wrong, but I've always had a little bit of a tight spot in my chain and a loose spot.

^This

|

1/21/2020 4:58 AM

Yeah my sprocket is only 2 weeks old so that might be the reason.

|

I like riding my bike.

1/21/2020 5:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 5:23 AM

Your sprocket isn’t sitting right. You most likely need an adapter. Take it to your local bike shop, the adapter shouldn’t be more than a few bucks.

|

fack off

1/22/2020 9:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2020 9:43 AM

I’ve got a cheap shadow Guarded sprocket that creates a hella tight and loose spot in my chain. If I switch to another sprocket the chain is much evenly tensioned throughout the crank revolution. Makes me think the shadow sprocket bore is off center or something.... However it has been my experience that there will always be some form of tight and loose spot in the chain

|

1/22/2020 10:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2020 10:06 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I’ve got a cheap shadow Guarded sprocket that creates a hella tight and loose spot in my chain. If I switch to another sprocket the chain is much evenly tensioned throughout the crank revolution. Makes me think the shadow sprocket bore is off center or something.... However it has been my experience that there will always be some form of tight and loose spot in the chain

My cheap bike does this as well and I had to loosen my chain up a little bit more than what it should be. I think it's the front sprocket not perfectly round. But I've also noticed a bit of wobble on my rear sprocket too. So neither one is perfect. So... it makes sense the chain tightens and loosens. I'm glad to see it's not just my cheap bike that does it. LOL.

With bikes, or really any manufactured thing, there is no such thing as perfect. Some stuff is just better than others....

I think the engineering term for this type of situation is "tolerance stacking". So to speak.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

1/22/2020 11:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2020 11:57 AM

If youre talking a super small tight and loose spot it might be normal but if its noticeable when you pedal on the bike or even spin it by hand, there is an issue somewhere.

Do you run your chain super tight?

|

1/22/2020 2:12 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

My cheap bike does this as well and I had to loosen my chain up a little bit more than what it should be. I think it's the front sprocket not perfectly round. But I've also noticed a bit of wobble on my rear sprocket too. So neither one is perfect. So... it makes sense the chain tightens and loosens. I'm glad to see it's not just my cheap bike that does it. LOL.

With bikes, or really any manufactured thing, there is no such thing as perfect. Some stuff is just better than others....

I think the engineering term for this type of situation is "tolerance stacking". So to speak.

Tolerances are usually tied to a datum to prevent tolerance stacking

|

1/22/2020 2:54 PM

My Kink Williams had a little bit of that, I took it back to the LBS where I bought it and they claimed it was normal, I wasn't really happy with their answer concerning a $750 bike I just bought from them.. A little after that I bought a Primo solid guard sprocket and it went away..

|

1/23/2020 7:52 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

Well really the datum reference frame Coupled with the position tolerance concerning concentricity and flatness makes for proper chain tension only if the other manufactured parts along the stacking line also adhere to a proper reference frame.

|

1/23/2020 8:59 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Well really the datum reference frame Coupled with the position tolerance concerning concentricity and flatness makes for proper chain tension only if the other manufactured parts along the stacking line also adhere to a proper reference frame.

Don't you spit GD&T at me homie!

|

1/23/2020 3:12 PM

Check center bore of sprocket, might be machined offset center, it's not uncommon.

|

1/23/2020 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2020 3:13 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

My Kink Williams had a little bit of that, I took it back to the LBS where I bought it and they claimed it was normal, I wasn't really happy with their answer concerning a $750 bike I just bought from them.. A little after that I bought a Primo solid guard sprocket and it went away..

I hate shops that won't fix issues, so damn lazy man. Off center sprocket will wear all three, sprocket/chain and driver quicker.

|

1/23/2020 3:31 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

I hate shops that won't fix issues, so damn lazy man. Off center sprocket will wear all three, sprocket/chain and driver quicker.

Yeah, the mechanic looked at it for a half second and said that's normal, seemed like laziness too me too. I told him I was just trying to get my chain kinda tight and that's when I noticed the issue. It was perfect tension on one side of the sprocket and a half rotation it was crazy driver crushing tight. I told the mechanic I was just trying to take the slack out. He said something along the lines of "you need a little slop in freecoasters" WTF

|

1/24/2020 8:18 AM

They probably come up with answers that they think might sound good to customers to avoid fixing it. Because my guess is a lot of mass produced bikes are going to have some nuances like this. Maybe? Although you'd think when you buy one with supposed top of the line parts it shouldn't be doing that.....

Cuz that sounds exactly what like mine is doing. I had the slack on the chain what I thought was perfect but then it was tight as I pedaled it upside down.... And I was like waaa?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

1/24/2020 9:33 AM

I have always had this issue, I just ignore it. It's because the sprocket bore or the adapter are slightly off center btw. Nothing to do with the chain. Nothing to worry about.

|

1/24/2020 10:23 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I have always had this issue, I just ignore it. It's because the sprocket bore or the adapter are slightly off center btw. Nothing to do with the chain. Nothing to worry about.

Not necessarily. There will always be some disparity in tension from one part of a chain to the other for a few reasons:
1. They're not exactly a precision assembly and so each and every link will have some bit of difference, which will add length in some places and take it away in others. This can be seen more on cheap, shitty chains.
2. On a bike, they can never wear evenly as there's a dead point at the top and bottom of a pedal-stroke where the load will be significantly less than anywhere else in the pedal-stroke, meaning one section of the chain gets a little more wear than another.
3. Bike chains will pick up a certain amount of dirt over the course of their lifetimes. Some links will pick up more than others. Some of that dirt will act as an abrasive and cause a lot of wear and some will barely wear anything at all.
4. Half-link stretch.

There's probably a good few other common reasons but I really can't be arsed going any further into this.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/1/2020 2:32 PM

Just wanted to follow this post up with my loose/tight chain that was pretty extreme from loose to Hella tight. I took my sprocket off(shadow plastic guarded one) and the center bore on the “top” side that becomes loaded from sprocket stalls/disasters/sprocket grinds/ slipped feebles was literally “wallowed” out from taking repeated impacts forcing the bore into the crank spindle. This caused the tight loose chain syndrome. new sprocket. No more loose tight chain. Perfection.

|

2/1/2020 3:14 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Just wanted to follow this post up with my loose/tight chain that was pretty extreme from loose to Hella tight. I took my sprocket off(shadow plastic guarded one) and the center bore on the “top” side that becomes loaded from sprocket stalls/disasters/sprocket grinds/ slipped feebles was literally “wallowed” out from taking repeated impacts forcing the bore into the crank spindle. This caused the tight loose chain syndrome. new sprocket. No more loose tight chain. Perfection.

Same sprocket, same issue, same fix as you. The sabatoge sprocket ended up with a 1x1.125" oval after 1 summer of riding

|