Chains, shadow vs odyssey

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2016 3:41 PM

I need some opinions from people who have owned the shadow suoreme chain and the odyssey keychain. Weather youve owned both or only one, doesnt matter. I know similar threads have been made but i want some more input.

|

1/26/2016 4:19 PM

I've been on a hollow Odyssey Keychain for two years now. Absolutely no problems. The plates are thicker and stronger than the ones on the Shadow chain. Plus they're more durable because they're straight. The pins are much stronger than any other chain and the hollow center allows them to be riveted over harder, making the oversized junction even stronger. After the inital breaking, you can take the chain apart and put it together using only a 3mm allen wrench. It's so much easier than any other chain. Also, it's lighter than most chains, especially the Supreme chain! Finally, it's cheaper than the Shadow chain. So you get a better chain at a cheaper price.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/26/2016 4:28 PM

Just deleted a comment I reply to above Keychain .

The SHADOW chain is something I wanted . It looks good , and Shadow seems to make good parts . On paper , specs are good and they back their products . Like Odyssey and the R fork tests , Shadow says this will be the strongest chain out , I believe it . It seems like a no gimmick chain , the Odyssey one sounds easy but I like my stuff just like regular parts ( pretty easy already if you know how to break chains ) . Pretty expensive in Canada but if you can afford one try it . It should give you confidence in riding it too

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2016 4:43 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've been on a hollow Odyssey Keychain for two years now. Absolutely no problems. The plates are thicker and stronger than the ones on the Shadow chain. Plus they're more durable because they're straight. The pins are much stronger than any other chain and the hollow center allows them to be riveted over harder, making the oversized junction even stronger. After the inital breaking, you can take the chain apart and put it together using only a 3mm allen wrench. It's so much easier than any other chain. Also, it's lighter than most chains, especially the Supreme chain! Finally, it's cheaper than the Shadow chain. So you get a better chain at a cheaper price.

Im thinking about running my rear wheel slammed and because of the master pins on the keychain that would make this easier.On another thread someone said something about it feels kind of rough. How smooth and solid does it feel?

|

1/26/2016 5:07 PM

Aaron_Whitmore Jr. wrote:

Im thinking about running my rear wheel slammed and because of the master pins on the keychain that would make this easier.On another thread someone said something about it feels kind of rough. How smooth and solid does it feel?

It is a bit rougher than your average chain, especially if your chain line is off a ways. It feels incredibly solid and trustworthy though. The strength and ease of use advantages far outweigh the roughness.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/26/2016 5:11 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It is a bit rougher than your average chain, especially if your chain line is off a ways. It feels incredibly solid and trustworthy though. The strength and ease of use advantages far outweigh the roughness.

Do you have any idea if theyre working on a black keychain?

|

1/26/2016 5:16 PM

if it were me i'd figure out exactly the length of chain you need. if it's an even amount of links then get the keychain because there's no point to having a half link. if it's an odd number of links get the shadow because you're going to need a half link anyway. i don't like having a full link chain with one half link, might as well have a full half-link chain.

that's my reasoning, i let the numbers decide.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

1/26/2016 5:19 PM

I don't think either of those chains is actually that good.

I broke three master links in the odyssey chain. That's not good in my eyes. After the third one I stopped riding it and switched to a Dropbuster chain since the odyssey is not perfect, but, to be fair, It may have been a fluke in the design.

As for the shadow, it's not terrible, but most hubs have it rub on the hub. Although it holds up well to being smacked on ledges (as does the odyssey) it is really heavy as far as chains go and not that much stronger, i fixed this kid's at a skatepark once and he said he broke it previously. He didn't appear to be smashing it, just mainly riding box jumps.

I say save your money, buy a Dropbuster chain (510HX i believe?) it's 15$ and it holds up really well. Plus it comes with a half link pre installed if you need it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/26/2016 5:26 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

if it were me i'd figure out exactly the length of chain you need. if it's an even amount of links then get the keychain because there's no point to having a half link. if it's an odd number of links get the shadow because you're going to need a half link anyway. i don't like having a full link chain with one half link, might as well have a full half-link chain.

that's my reasoning, i let the numbers decide.

That's some, uh, interesting reasoning. Having a single half-link is FAR superior to having nothing but half-links. Even if that wasn't the case, is it really worth losing the Keychain's benefits because you don't like having a single half-link?

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/26/2016 5:27 PM

Aaron_Whitmore Jr. wrote:

Do you have any idea if theyre working on a black keychain?

Nope. But the gray looks perfect, especially as it ages.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/26/2016 5:34 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

That's some, uh, interesting reasoning. Having a single half-link is FAR superior to having nothing but half-links. Even if that wasn't the case, is it really worth losing the Keychain's benefits because you don't like having a single half-link?

"a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"
all it takes is that one link breaking to ruin your day. so what is the point of having the world's strongest chain if you still have one weak half link?

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

1/26/2016 5:47 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

"a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"
all it takes is that one link breaking to ruin your day. so what is the point of having the world's strongest chain if you still have one weak half link?

Yes but that one weak link could be stronger than any other chain.

|

1/26/2016 9:30 PM

honestly the keychain is just another chain to me ive snapped one in 3 months, i dont grind nor do anything crazy, but unlike shadow (i broke the interlock v2 in a month) odyssey warrantied my old chain free of charge so i respect them for that. I'd say go with odyssey

|

1/26/2016 9:36 PM

my last 510hx (KMC lasted me 4+ good years of riding, miles and miles from spot to spot. Thats when I ran my shit super tight, with a shadow v1 half link attached right onto the master link. It never broke.. although never smashed it bad off a sloppy grind or anything. For 15 i got my moneys worth. Bought another.

Between those Id go odsy just on weight/money. ..wouldnt mind trying the shadow though.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/26/2016 10:55 PM

fly tractor

|

1/26/2016 11:39 PM

Carson373 wrote:

fly tractor

This it broke my chain breaker pin it was that good

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2016 11:56 PM

KMC 710 is cheap and awesome.

I ran a shadow half link with good luck years ago...but a full half link is pointless really

|

1/27/2016 2:07 AM

Never tried the odyssey keychain but If alot of people had problems with the master link, this probably isn't the best option.

The shadow chain.... So many people says it's the best chain but... I had repair way too many shadow chains on others bike... the plates stretch way too easily and the chain broke for nearly nothing when there are stretched (of course I replaced the stretched link plate (with a full halflink) but if you repair the chain once for that there's must have another stretched plate around here, and the chain will broke again)

My worst chain experience was a KMC halflink (with super thin plates) than I had broken 8 times in two month...
I was scared to pedal at some point..

And my best chain experience is with a Cult halflink, pretty standard but fucking solid, it lasted me 4 years and I broke it only once, after 3+ years and hundreds of miles so that´s good, plus I had never lube it and also the chain has been open and close many times to test different chainstays lenght so this has weaken the chain and creates some hard points than I didn't took the time to loosen.

Since a few month I am on a new BSD halflink chain, which is the exact same than the Cult one (except the logo on the plates) so I know it would last long and be strong.
This is my best advice for someone who's looking for a chain.

|

1/27/2016 4:32 AM

Francky wrote:

Never tried the odyssey keychain but If alot of people had problems with the master link, this probably isn't the best option.

The shadow chain.... So many people says it's the best chain but... I had repair way too many shadow chains on others bike... the plates stretch way too easily and the chain broke for nearly nothing when there are stretched (of course I replaced the stretched link plate (with a full halflink) but if you repair the chain once for that there's must have another stretched plate around here, and the chain will broke again)

My worst chain experience was a KMC halflink (with super thin plates) than I had broken 8 times in two month...
I was scared to pedal at some point..

And my best chain experience is with a Cult halflink, pretty standard but fucking solid, it lasted me 4 years and I broke it only once, after 3+ years and hundreds of miles so that´s good, plus I had never lube it and also the chain has been open and close many times to test different chainstays lenght so this has weaken the chain and creates some hard points than I didn't took the time to loosen.

Since a few month I am on a new BSD halflink chain, which is the exact same than the Cult one (except the logo on the plates) so I know it would last long and be strong.
This is my best advice for someone who's looking for a chain.

I understand history with half links. They strech, pinch other plates etc. The shadow supreme eliminated those issues by using a new plate design. Force from pedalling is evenly being pulled throughout the entire plate/chain. As is with the keychain. The only reason im considering the shadow is because its black and claims to be really strong. Because of its design i believe it. My next build is going to be strictly black and green. The keychain isnt out in black yet, but im still considering it, because besides wheels, grips and frame (and maybe chain), everything on my bike will be odyssey.

|

1/27/2016 7:43 AM

410h. Cheap. Thick. Comes in black and chrome.

|

1/27/2016 2:31 PM

Go to a farm supply store and get a chain from them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura